Bug in my airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husher

Reaction score
I have a cheap 'Real Ale' kit in a secondary for about 2-3 weeks now. I've been checking every 2-3 days or so at this point, mostly because I have a wheat beer experiment in the primary right next to it.

Thing is, I found a small bug in the air lock and I don't know how long it's been there. The last time I had beer in the secondary I had some draw back (when the AC came on?), so I switch from boiled water to sanitizer (one step - hydrogen peroxide). According to the instructions, the sanitizer is only effective for 12 hours after it's mixed but figure it's better than boiled water.

I removed the airlock and swapped it out for another, filling with more sanitizer. But when I removed it I put it in a coffee much while playing with the second airlock. When I looked back, some of the fluid from the contaminated lock drained into the mug. So I'm assuming once I remove the airlock, some fluid dripped into my beer. If fact it was a bit of a fight to get it out, so it's probable.

The bug-ish fluid still smelled quite sweet. This a lost cause or is there hope?

Might want to drop some citronella in that airlock. The only bugs I get around me vessels are venomous centipedes, and they eat other bugs... so we respect each other.

Bonus: wife hates centipedes.

iambeer said:
Might want to drop some citronella in that airlock. The only bugs I get around me vessels are venomous centipedes, and they eat other bugs... so we respect each other.

Bonus: wife hates centipedes.

Yeah, i've had luck with a citronella filled airlock too.

Citronella is oil derived from plants, and it's considered a non-toxic chemical. I wouldn't want that in my beer, the strong aroma itself would ruin it.. I don't think I'd want taste the stuff either. But yes, I was only joking; I need to find the sarcasm icon. ;)

Back