Bud Light Platinum 6.0% abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's funny..... every BMC I drink really fast on a hot day tastes like a Pabst to me........PBR all the way!!!!!!:rockin:

When I saw the ad during the super bowl, the first thing I thought was, "I wonder how they made a light beer at 6% ABV? That is a neat trick."

I'm pretty sure it's still less than Bud Heavy. So it's an in between light and heavy. Maybe Bud Medium or Bud Big Boned would have been a more appropriate name.

It's okay. It's about $6 a six pack where I am, prob $.50 cheaper or so if I got it at Wal-Mart. Kinda just tastes like crisp no flavor bud light, but with the nasty aftertaste of a 40oz, like high life or something. For a cheap buzz I supposed I couldn't complain compared to drinking an Earthquake or some ****. They do a very good job of hiding the nearly 50% more abv as bud light. I would have loved this in college.

Also, the blue bottles remind me of "Skyy Blue" (similar to Bacardi Silver) a malt beverage from the company that makes Skyy Vodka.

I actually was surprised to find one of these at my Superbowl party. My taste buds were already shot from a a Founders' Pale but I did try it. Noticeably higher alch content but still reasonably balanced - still reminded me of a Bud/Coors/etc.

It did flip a switch tho. How on earth can a light beer have more alcohol than the regular (Bud heavy), yet still be considered light? Has anyone thought about this?

1 can of Bud Light has 120 calories, 4.2% alch
1 can of Bud Platinum has 137 calories, 6.0% alch
1 can of Bud Heavy has 145 calories, 5.0% alch

I've been brewing for several years now, so I should probably know all the tricks between sugar, calories, and alch content. The extra percentage point of alch (from heavy to plantinum) is a 20% increase in total alch - but the calories are actually decreasing about 5%. :confused:

Is it possible that each of corn, rice, barley has more/less calories than the other two? Is it possible that certain non-fermentables can impart taste while the entire beer is made of a low calorie fermentable?

I'd would really love some insight into this. Thanks for any chemists out there!

I tried it and it was awful. I tasted some sort of artificial sweetener... and thats all I could taste. I guess they could filter then add sugar. Either way they sweeten it for sure.

I agree about the artificial sweetener part. Really no taste except an aftertaste of sweetness. And the bottles are not even pry offs. I knew I should not have bought these...

Malt Bud R(ice) -137 Platinum. Only for exclusive beer drinkers.:cross: Oh well, i dont have to drink it unless i wanna.

i thought it tasted like it should be in a brown paper bag coming out of a 40 oz bottle, high alcohol light beer, with no flavor, wtf, glad i didn't have to buy to try

I just can't imagine walking into my local beer store and actually making the decision to leave with Bud Light Platinum. Frankly the entire idea is mind-bottling.

I just can't imagine walking into my local beer store and actually making the decision to leave with Bud Light Platinum. Frankly the entire idea is mind-bottling.

tumblr_ly9fswWJwX1qfaknl.gif

I was just at my small liquor store which has a small but varied selection.I was with my Fiance and we ran into one of her friends(husband?) which was getting platinum, he was standing next to me when i was browsing and was asking if the stone or two brothers i was looking at was any good,i was like "pft, hell yeah?! pretty much all this but you gootta like pale ales and ipas to like some of these." I think i must have been speaking chinese to him. And to think if he took them home he would have just probably hated them and returned back to the store to get some Bud light.

Speaking of Stone...I was at the beer store just browsing and such. An employee comes up to me and randomly tells me that all of the Stone brews taste like dirt so I shouldn't get any of them. I then proceeded to purchase some Ruination just to make him feel like a tool....I wonder how Stone would appreciate some random d-bag telling customers that their beer taste like dirt?

I was just at my small liquor store which has a small but varied selection.I was with my Fiance and we ran into one of her friends(husband?) which was getting platinum, he was standing next to me when i was browsing and was asking if the stone or two brothers i was looking at was any good,i was like "pft, hell yeah?! pretty much all this but you gootta like pale ales and ipas to like some of these." I think i was talking chinease to him. And to think if he took them home he would have just probably hated them and returned back to the store to get some Bud light.

I. Hear you. To be clear I was applauding what I assume is a pun in his use of mind-bottling, instead of boggling.

Yeah i caught that when i should have use his quote which i thought was yours briefly,but still seems fitting:mug: not stealing your thunder or anything.Not that i think you think that i am.

The store I go to in MD has a very generous selection of singles. I typically buy a 6-pack of something i know I like and make my own 6-pack of new things to try.

So as I am picking out new things I come across BL Platinum in the craft section. I Immediately felt something that was a mix of confusion, repulsion, and frustration as I didn't know why it was there. I thought it had been misplaced, but the label proved me wrong. Decided to try since I make an effort to try everything new, and I am sure one of my fellow college students will display some ignorance towards the product at some point.

I split it between my two buddies and myself...Here are our 3 reviews

Adam: Smarties, and natty lite

Aaron: Artificial Sweetener, horrible aftertaste that lingers, and tasted like a bud light with added qualities that didnt really work for the better

Andrew: Its Bud Light - It has a more pronounced flavor, also leaves a displeasing aftertaste, which I agree sticks with you until you drink something else. I get the artificial sweetener and ultimately tastes like it came from a can and not a bottle.

If you buy, expect a funky after-taste and a mix between bud ice and bud-light.

It SHOULDN'T take up space in the craft section!

Last night, stopped by corner store on way home from bar to grab a craft sixer & snacks... I just had to buy a single of the BL P last night.. "research."
It was disgusting. Bud Lite taste and then some awful secondary flavor kinda like microwaved buttered popcorn.

Latest posts

Back