Low ABV & Shelf Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim M

Reaction score
Been thinking of trying my hand at some low abv lagers in the 1.5%-2% range. I’m wanting something light, beerish, & semi hydrating for after my runs. You know something that I can have a few pints of without getting tipsy. Most low or no abv beers kinda suck or the good stuff is usually priced high in my op.

Been reading up on this and I think I got my game plan together. The one question I had that I don’t see much on is what to expect for shelf life on something 2% or below? The lowest I’ve gone is 4.0 % abv. I do 10 gallon batches and always keg. Any experience in this area or advice?

If you go down the road of low ABV brewing, good luck and choose your hops wisely. You're kegging and I'm assuming the keg will be well-refrigerated? If it is, there shouldn't be a problem with a low alcohol brew.

As for me, I've taken the lazy man's way out. I buy an affordable Pils like Wernesgrüner and pour it over a large mug of ice cubes.

If you go down the road of low ABV brewing, good luck and choose your hops wisely. You're kegging and I'm assuming the keg will be well-refrigerated? If it is, there shouldn't be a problem with a low alcohol brew.

As for me, I've taken the lazy man's way out. I buy an affordable Pils like Wernesgrüner and pour it over a large mug of ice cubes.
Yeah I got a temp controlled fermentation chamber & cold keg storage. As far as hops go I’m thinking Mt. Hood with mostly late boil additions to keep it balanced is probably going to be my route. Even considering the short & shoddy brew method I’ve seen discussed with reduced boil time & such.

Back