Bud Light Platinum 6.0% abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksb63

Reaction score
Just saw in store had to get to try (if nothing else blue bottles can go on bottle tree). Now have to wait till after 5. Has anyone tried these?

Won't know until later but will post both taste and if pop or screw top

Just caught a few videos on it - seems that it is twist cap - I would think that a "PREMIUM" Bud Light would at least have some class with a pop off top

Just caught a few videos on it - seems that it is twist cap - I would think that a "PREMIUM" Bud Light would at least have some class with a pop off top

I don't think twist caps usually detract too much from a beer. They might allow some oxygen in, but that is on the scale of months and not weeks.

Read online somewhere that is was just brewed with more corn to raise the alcohol and "give it more flavor". For some reason I see this one becoming very popular because of the blue bottles.

Caps are twist off so swmbo gets 12 blue bottles for bottle tree. I'll start with I prefer bud light to bmc's other alternatives. Kinda tastes like they mixed the three together and got the worst of each. Slight alcohol twang to early taste (like a splash of vodka in a coors light middle has miller lites funky taste and finishes slightly sweet. Little to no head retention and doesn't have carb feel in mouth.

Guess this is meant for drunken college idiots playing with beer funnel. At least I got to try it for cheap (10. 25 for 12 pack) and wife can make the small bottle tree she was wanting to. Also another plus everyone will want to try this and leave my homebrew alone ;-)

That would be nice for mead at least...wouldn't probably bottle beer in anything other than brown...or does blue also protect from UV enough?

I would think that blue would let in mostly UV and block everything else. A blue filter in front of a white light removes all wavelengths except blue. The reason that brown is the most effective against UV is that brown is on the opposite side of the color wheel from violet, so it blocks UV better than any other color.

I have some friends that had the Platinum. They weren't over the moon about it either. Said it tasted like bud light with a little sump'n sump'n in it. They probably just didn't add as much water to the high-grav wort before fermentation.

I found this in the grocery store the other day and couldn't resist trying buds new product. I'm glad I talked my friend out of buying the 12 pack though, I don't see how bud would put their name on this stuff. As a general rule of thumb bud products are crisp and clean. This was neither.

The first few sips from the bottle made me think they found a way to get but ice out of the gas station refrigerators, mainly because that's what I (as well as my friend drinking it with me) had in my head. But as I drank more I kept noticing a really bad after taste. This was the least clean tasting beer I have ever had that was labeled as a light beer. The closest thing I had to compare it to that day was Big Flats and I must say, while it is a horrible beer, it was enjoyable compared to the Platinum.

If you want a bud product to drink because it will get you drunk, stick with bud ice. It is cleaner, smoother, cheaper, and has that mystery that only a brown paper bag can give.

Next the kardashians will be the spokespeople since it's "Platnium"

Nope, I foresee Kid Rock spewing some garbage like "We're going Platinum." and using his entire last album or two (I pay little attention to this guy) as advertisement at NASCAR events.

I saw someone buying this at Sam's the other day. I also noticed that Sam's wasn't carrying 12-packs of Torpedo anymore.

I have no idea how much those 2 things are related, but I'm curious to see how this plays out at grocery stores with much more limited space.

I try to taste everything new and had to try it as well... My review: Bud light, but with a sweeter taste, more alcohol... I am guessing the extra alcohol came from corn sugar...

that being said.......... I think this is an interesting marketing strategy... who else has made a low calorie beer with a high gravity punch? Is this a new market? who knows...

I really wish we had more light IPA type beers...

Saw a commercial for this during the Super Bowl. Small print said that this is an Ale in Oregon and Texas but Lager everywhere else.

Remnant of a now-defunct law, at least in Texas. Same beer here as it is everywhere is, they just had to label it differently up until a few weeks ago.

Tried one yesterday. Same BL but a tad more flavor and sweetness. Drinkable but overall same ish different bottle. Definitely not worth 7.99 a six pack.

Tried one yesterday. Same BL but a tad more flavor and sweetness. Drinkable but overall same ish different bottle. Definitely not worth 7.99 a six pack.

They're charging craft beer prices for it, too? Wow. I just paid that for a sixer of the new Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro, no way I'd drop it on that stuff.

$7.99 a six pack is craft beer prices down there?! Holy ****.. Up here it's at LEAST $11.95...

$7.99 a six pack is craft beer prices down there?! Holy ****.. Up here it's at LEAST $11.95...

Ouch! Well, it depends on the beer. Some craft can easily cost more than 12 bucks but most of them are 7-10.

Nope, I foresee Kid Rock spewing some garbage like "We're going Platinum." and using his entire last album or two (I pay little attention to this guy) as advertisement at NASCAR events.

This won't happen. Kid Rock already has his own beer - "Badass" American Light Lager, brewed by Michigan Brewing Company (this). I bought a bomber once - it was cheap and not bad for the style. I am absolutely not a Kid Rock fan, but at least by him doing this MBC had to hire a dozen more people.

Well, we bought in bulk this weekend at the local Central Market and got 25% off the booze. I think the Nitro was going for like $11 before the discount. Picked up the Nitro, a sixer of the new Shiner Pale Ale (Actually not too bad, definite taste the hops without kicking your face in) and a variety sixer.

I bought a 6pack on Friday, it was on sale for 5.99

I wasn't that impressed, I bet if you mixed vodka and seltzer water you'd get pretty close. Seemed to lack flavor I was expecting with a 6.0% alc. product.

I honestly don't think they increased the hop bill to compensate for the increased alcohol.

At the end of the day, I would drink another if someone else paid for it, but not worth my own money.

When I saw the ad during the super bowl, the first thing I thought was, "I wonder how they made a light beer at 6% ABV? That is a neat trick."

By my calculations, this beer has at least 117.6 calories per 12oz bottle, just from the ethanol content. I mean, if you just mixed grain alcohol and distilled water you'd get nearly 120 calories. This beer, from all descriptions, contains a healthy amount of malt (and maybe rice/corn) content to boot. A normal Bud Light's ethanol content @4.2 ABV adds up to about 83 calories. So, we are talking about a beer that is at a minimum 30%+ higher in calories, but still has the "light" moniker.

Aside from fat, ethanol has the highest caloric value per gram of anything we consume. Increasing the alcohol content by nearly 50% is no way to make a light beer.

I bought case to taste it was fair priced I paid 10.79 for a 12pack it had a little more taste than a budlight and looks like it came in at 137 cals.. at6.0% abv ill stick to my home brew

To me it just tasted like Bud Light with more corn. If I want a similar flavor in beer, I'll just pick up a 30 rack of High Life for what I'm guessing is half the price.

Wow, and to think I was thinking how many beer styles have gone Imperial, that we could create an Imperial American Light Lager. :confused:

Now the trick would be to brew such a beer that actually had taste, yet still low calorie...:rolleyes:

austun-reddog said:
Wow, and to think I was thinking how many beer styles have gone Imperial, that we could create an Imperial American Light Lager. :confused:

Now the trick would be to brew such a beer that actually had taste, yet still low calorie...:rolleyes:

Bet the next thing they do is add Splenda to it.

6% and only 137 calories. Amazing that it can be done, without some crazy wang or alcohol heat to it. I know, add more rice. You try to brew with only those two parameters.

My chum drinks beers based on % alch/ calories per 12 oz. This will be his new session. (he also drinks quality beers, but at 8-12 12 oz beers each day, he has to be selective of this caloric intake.)

Just bought a six pack. It's actually pretty good for Bud Light, certainly doesn't stack up against homebrews but it would probably make a great lawnmower beer. Has an interesting banana flavor to it as well.

Back