Buckwheat question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
Dear all
I am thinking of doing a buckwheat saison using unmalted groats.
My question is, in the absence of buchwheat in my brewing software, what grain would be a good substitute with regards to available extract?
Cheers
Lee

I've used half a kilo of unmalted buckwheat in an oatmeal porter a few times and I like what it contributes to the beer, but I haven't worried too much about figuring out the gravity contribution. However, the Chateau (Castle) malt add-on in Beersmith has their malted buckwheat listed at 1.030, which sounds like a fair estimate. The gluten free subforum might be a good place to get a more accurate number for unmalted buckwheat, since I'm sure a lot of the brewers there use it pretty regularly.

I've used half a kilo of unmalted buckwheat in an oatmeal porter a few times and I like what it contributes to the beer, but I haven't worried too much about figuring out the gravity contribution. However, the Chateau (Castle) malt add-on in Beersmith has their malted buckwheat listed at 1.030, which sounds like a fair estimate. The gluten free subforum might be a good place to get a more accurate number for unmalted buckwheat, since I'm sure a lot of the brewers there use it pretty regularly.
Thank you very much for that.

Back