Bucket smells like hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuPuma

Reaction score
Still using the bucket (still poor), and it kinda smells like hops. I soaked it with One-Step for a week, but there is still a faint odor. What can I use to deodorize it completely? What about white vinegar? Baking soda? How much to use (i.e. 1, 2 oz/gallon?)

Thank you for your help!

Does your bucket have a spigot? If it does, the smell could be coming from the parts if they haven't been disassembled and cleaned recently.

Beer smells like hops too. I would not worry about it unless you have not dissasembled the spigot on the side.

Even bleach has it's uses, getting stains and smells out of my fermentation buckets is one. I use about an oz. in five gallons and let it soak over-night. Then I run it out theough the spigot, take the spigot apart and brush it out.

Air dry for a few days. A couple TSP of baking soda finishes the job.

When I used plastic fermenters they always smelled like hops and malt. Well OK they smelled like beer. It didn't seem to affect any of my subsequent brews.
RDWHAHB :mug:

RichBrewer said:
When I used plastic fermenters they always smelled like hops and malt. Well OK they smelled like beer. It didn't seem to affect any of my subsequent brews.
RDWHAHB :mug:

Thats really the best thing to do in any situation! But, I agree, don't worry about it, I wash my bucket out with soap and water after i've bottled and thats about it until I sanitize it with bleach prior to my next brewing session...
:tank:

Back