Bubbling stopped only day 3?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MhOpNEIL

Reaction score
I made an American Rye Ale from Northern Brewer, the bubbler was going pretty good for 2 days and now its come to a holt. Is this normal?

im making one of those too. i pitched on Wed the 19th..started blubbling up after about 10hrs. used american ale wy yeast. im down to about 1 blubble every sec. still plenty of activity tho. hope it turns out for ya.

Sure it is normal.

Bubbling really does not mean anything. Just let it sit and check on it in a couple of weeks.

Do you think one is done yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the fermentation is done in a few days. Give it at least 10 days though since after that initial rush of activity there is still a bit of fermentation going on.

After a week, the yeast will begin to drop to the bottom. Getting it cold will help accelerate this. You want the yeast to drop so it doesn't end up in the beer when you bottle or keg.

It's fine. With a vigorous healthy yeast, active fermentation can start very quickly or take longer to develop. While the yeast multiplies and burns up oxygen, eating all that maltose (malt sugar), turning it into alcohol and farting out carbon dioxide, the bubbling can be quite rapid, or just bubble at a slow pace. It's all normal.

Just because the bubbling has slowed or stopped doesn't mean the yeast is done. There's plenty of residual fermentation going on where the yeast is consuming early byproducts like fusel alcohols and diacetyl, turning them from off flavors into more interesting and drinkable esters and phelonics. It's like the yeast goes crazy eating everything it can, then comes back for seconds once the main meal is done.

Just let your beer sit a full three weeks in the primary. This is most often the hardest thing to do as a new brewer, having the patience to let it sit and rest a little longer on the yeast cake. Trust me, just let it sit. Once three weeks has passed, add 3/4 cup of corn sugar (dextrose) or 1 cup of table sugar to a cup of water and make a simple syrup out of it by dissolving it in hot water on your stove. Pour the simple syrup into your bottling bucket and rack your beer (transfer your beer) into it using a racking cane or auto-siphon. Keep the splashing minimal at this point as extra oxygen can oxidize finished beer, creating a cardboard/leather off flavor.

Once racked, fill your bottles or kegs and cap. Store them in a warm dark place in your home (shelf top in a closet, etc.) and then, have the patience to wait another three weeks or so while it fully carbonates. Yes, there will be some carbonation at one week, but it usually is very light. Three weeks of bottle conditioning is just about right, and chill your bottles for a full 24 hours before drinking to allow maximum re-absorption of CO2 back into the liquid.

Funny how when you start out brewing, the rule is to eventually transfer to a secondary. As you read more and more into what folks really do, you learn that less and less folks bother with the secondary, opting more for a longer primary. It seems to make more sense. Less work, less chance of infection, more time on the yeast cake to do good work on yucky biproducts, and cold crashing or other methods to easily get the yeast to drop out before kegging/bottling.

Thank you all for your help. I will be patient, I was just concerned that something was wrong with the yeast.

I just brewed a beer that fermented ridiculously fast. It didnt explode but it sounded like it was going to for about 48 hours and then it just stopped. I checked the gravity down from 1.060 to 1.010 which told me it was done. It has been in the fermentor for a few more days but will be kegged tomorrow.

I would say to let is sit there for a few days. Also check the gravity and if you have, have a homebrew.

Latest posts

Back