Bubbling but SG @ a halt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaDzBrewery

Reaction score
Quick question, that i can't seem to find my situatution anywhere searching, soi thought i would ask.. I have a Hefe going, OG 1.046... so projected FG was 1.012.. but figured thats a ballpark analogy, well 7 days in the primary and last 2 days the SG has been at a beautiful 1.010, BUT , the airloc is still bubbling ( slow ) like a bubble every 45sec-60sec. So after a few days of SG being at 1.010, is it safe to bottle even though there are visible signs ? didn't know if this was normal.. also the recipe calls for a quick drinking, being better young, hefe Thanks James

If your gravity readings are at 1.010 for three days, it's safe to bottle. (Assuming you still don't have krausen or other obvious signs of fermentation - bubbles don't count.)

However, I would leave it two weeks in the primary to clean up any unwanted off flavors (in a Hefes case, sulfur), then bottle for 2 weeks and drink!

If your gravity readings are at 1.010 for three days, it's safe to bottle. (Assuming you still don't have krausen or other obvious signs of fermentation - bubbles don't count.)

However, I would leave it two weeks in the primary to clean up any unwanted off flavors (in a Hefes case, sulfur), then bottle for 2 weeks and drink!
The Krausen seemed to settle about a day before my SG bottoming out.. Smells great, color is spot on.. Not going too bad for my first beer brew. ;0)

Well, good for you! I still remember the first sip of my first homebrew. It was heavenly!! :D
Thanks, Can't wait... As soon as I bottle this one i am going to start another, cause I just know this batch is going to go, Specailly when family and freinds are just as excited to try it as I am. ;0) Anyone ever done octoberfest ? Would it be similar to the hefe just not so clovy and banana(Y).

Oktoberfest is traditionally a lager brewed in March and served during the festival... not really a quick turnaround beer. It is German like a Hefeweizen, but beyond that, you wouldn't know they were related. Hefe is FULL of clove and banana where as Oktoberfest has a rich malty aroma and flavor with hints of toast and no esters or phenols, it should be a very clean beer letting the malt shine through. Every time I smell one, it takes me right back to being in German bier halls. :)

However, if you want to make a non-traditional one, here's BierMuncher's OktoberFAST. I hear good things. Extract version is post #17.

Cheers!

Oktoberfest is traditionally a lager brewed in March and served during the festival... not really a quick turnaround beer. It is German like a Hefeweizen, but beyond that, you wouldn't know they were related. Hefe is FULL of clove and banana where as Oktoberfest has a rich malty aroma and flavor with hints of toast and no esters or phenols, it should be a very clean beer letting the malt shine through. Every time I smell one, it takes me right back to being in German bier halls. :)

However, if you want to make a non-traditional one, here's BierMuncher's OktoberFAST. I hear good things. Extract version is post #17.

Cheers!
I'll check it out... thanks.. Sounds like my next one ;0)

Back