Bubbles forming in beer lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emyers

Reaction score
I have a keezer and i keep getting air bubbles forming in the lines and a 90% foamy pour for the first glass and a half. Once the foam is out it pours a nice 1/2-1" head. I tried bleeding off all the pressure to reduce carbonation for a day and turn back up to 8 psi, thinking it was over carbonated. I still have the same issue.

I even installed a computer fan to help circulate the air to prevent the lines from warming up. The lines are 6' 3/16". I had great results with my previous tower setup i don't get why this rig is acting up so much. Any pointers?

IMG_3015.jpg

There are only a couple causes of the symptom you're describing. One is that the lines/shank/faucet are significantly warmer than the beer at the bottom of the keg. Another is that the beer is carbonated higher than the level that corresponds to your serving temp and pressure. Unless you're keeping the beer ice cold, 8psi correlates to a pretty low carbonation level. If you did overcarb it, it might take a few days off the gas and pulling the pressure relief valve every time you think of it to reduce the carbonation significantly.

While neatness can count, and the fan might be helping somewhere, I suspect running those beer lines along so much of the warmest part of the keezer can't be helping with the foaming.

And how long are those lines? Short lines put you that much closer to CO2 breakout due to insufficient resistance.

I'd lengthen all lines to 10' of 3/16" ID beer tubing, and coil as much of them on top of the kegs as possible before reaching the shanks...

Cheers!

After you pour do you see any bubbles coming from the ball lock at the keg? I dealt with this, didn't have enough pressure on my lines as day_trippr noted in the previous post. I swapped out my 5' lines for 10' of 3/16. I now serve at about 11-12 PSI which keeps all bubbles out of my lines, and it keeps carbonation in the kegs where I like it based on the temp of my kegerator (eventually I trimmed lines to about 8.5ft to get the flow right).

I would suggest that if you verify it's not the lines being too warm or the beer being over carbed (soudns unlikely), get 10ft of line for each tap, turn up the PSI and trim the lines as needed to get the flow right.

I've read several posts that support running about 12psi to keep the gas from coming out of solution also and that's what I run mine at and have no issues.

I've read several posts that support running about 12psi to keep the gas from coming out of solution also and that's what I run mine at and have no issues.

It's not about a specific pressure so much as making sure that the pressure matches the carbonation level at the serving temp. Could be 6psi, could be 25psi, just depends on the temperature and carbonation level of the beer. If you try serving a beer carbed to 4 vol at 12psi and stored at 40°, I guarantee you'll get gas breaking out of solution in the lines.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Today i cleaned my lines and taps, I also lowered my beer lines below the wood to help cool better. We shall see tomorrow once everything stabilizes.

Must be the carbonation. I'm going with Juan's idea and letting it sit while purging any pressure till sat night. Then ill roll pressure up to 10psi. I think i went wrong when i tried to force carb at 50psi for a day then 30psi. I was going off my friends recommendation.

Now that my rig is set up for a 5th air line outside the cooler ill be sure to carbonate at room temp 68-72F for a week or two at serving pressure, no higher.

Still having issues. I'm going to try upgrading from a 9V power supply to a 12V for the fan. If I'm still having issues ill try a second fan that's up high blowing on the shank backs and hoses as well as the one i already have down low blowing up. Hopefully this will chill the shanks more and help with first pour foaming issues as well as bubbles in the air lines. PITA....

Check this thread out, I found it very helpful by Yurirage for quick carbed beer in under 5 minutes.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/aging-beer-facts-myths-discussion-84005/

About 2/3 of the way down in the first post he talks about force carbing and it should get you pointed in the right direction.

You may have to tweek the process to fit your system and carb preference.

I lowered my pressure to 30psi and rock the keg for 2 minutes the first time and 1.5 the second time, I then depressurize and then pressurize to serving pressure. Done

There is another thread about fixing over carbed beer, just have to find it.

Latest posts

Back