Bubble solution dumped in my container hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
My 2 year old (being a 2 year old) decide to dump a half of a bottle of bubble solution onto the new shoots of my cascade container hops. I've got five little guys trying to make it. I doused the pot with water, hoping to dilute the bubble solution, but I'm not sure if there'd be any negative effects even after doing this. I'm no gardener and these are my first hops, so just wanted to know what to expect. Thanks!

Hope the soap was cheap soap and not detergent. Soap acts as a wetting agent - we use it all the time in our production to decrease the wet dry cycle in our peat-based potting medias. (Well OK; maybe not that much per pot but your 2 year olds concept is good - :) he ? was just trying to reduce the amount of watering you'll have to do!) You did good to flush it out - Hope you didn't go too rough on the little one.

Another thought- Did you know that soap causes the zoospores of soil pathogens like phytopthora to explode ? (apparently causes a pressure differential across the cell membrane) So. . . not only will you be watering less; your not gonna have any root diseases either. Better give that munchkin a big hug!

Not sure what kind of soap it was but it was either cheap bubble solution or a weak detergent mix because it didn't blow bubbles worth a damn ;). Anyways, I wasn't aware of the exploding...stuff. Ha! Sounds like I'll be okay, but either way ill have to wait and see. The little guy didn't get it too bad. Hard to stay mad after he said sorry and gave me a big hug. Thanks for the response!

It's a little soap and glycerin, I add soap to my home made fertilizer, no worries as long as the leaves are free and clean.

Well he poured it right on the shoots but I hope that I rinsed it off well enough. Noticed that the tip broke off of one of them, but I'm not sure if it's soap related. I've got four other shoots that seem to healthy though.

Back