Btf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to bottling here real soon and need to sanitize my bottles. I am using BTF Iodephor Sanitizer.My local HBS says to let bottles sanitize in a solution of 1 tbls. of BTF to 5 Gals. of water for 20 minutes. The bottle of BTF says 2 minutes is fine. Do I need to let them sit for 20 minutes? Thanks!!!

Ric

According to my bottle it's 1/2 oz. (2 capfuls) per 5 gallons of water. And yes, two minutes is enough. In fact, 20 minutes is too long on anything plastic...it will discolor if left that long.

I second that on 2 capfuls per 5g. I let my bottles sit in there for about a minute.

Thanks,
Need less to say that will speed up the process.

Ric

My bottle says 1\10th of an ounce per gallon. That's pretty hard to measure but 1\2 ounce is a tablespoon. That's the way I measure it.

Thanks for the article . It answers all the questions.

Ric

anthrobe said:
I put the iodipher in and fill the bucket up. If it is a nice gold color....it is just right:D

Yeah thats how I thought it would look... like it would stain anything that it woudl touch. I have always used One Step. Are the diffeences between the two products? Is Iodipher supposed to be the best or something?

Michael_Schaap said:
Are the diffeences between the two products? Is Iodipher supposed to be the best or something?

Uh Oh, i think you might start a rumble with that question!

Michael_Schaap said:
Yeah thats how I thought it would look... like it would stain anything that it woudl touch. I have always used One Step. Are the diffeences between the two products? Is Iodipher supposed to be the best or something?

Don't think it's any better/worse but it is cheaper. One bottle (1 liter) for $13 has lasted me for 23 batches and I probably will get to 28 before I need to get another bottle.

Back