Bry-97 not doing anything

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries my friend - I'll try to post here and/or on the AIH website once I see what I've created. One of my pet peeves is when people post reviews of beers on homebrew shop websites and they have just pitched yeast or they talk about an aggressive fermentation. People care about what the beer tastes like!

My favorite reviews are "Got it from UPS yesterday. Can't wait to brew!"

I racked to secondary on Feb. 25 - gravity was at 1.011. However, I still see airlock activity (about 1 bubble every 30-45 seconds) this morning. There are some patches of what I would believe to be just off-gassing air bubbles atop the beer in the fermenter. Does anyone have experience with Bry-97 getting as low as like 1.009? I wouldn't think it would still be drying out/fermenting the beer. My GUESS is this is just off-grassing, but I kind of thought that would stop a day after having been racked. The other beer I racked on the same day has no bubbles atop that wort and that airlock has been dormant since the first hour after having been racked. That other beer was a honey nut brown ale with WYeast 1098. My plan is I'll let the IPA (Bry-97 beer) sit at least another week before dry hopping for 5-7 days prior to bottling.

It took a 1.064 IPA down to 1.008 for me.

Guess it could make it nice n' dry. Interesting since the target FG of the recipe, which suggested Bry-97 as the dry yeast, was 1.015. Hey - as long as it makes a good IPA, I'll be happy.

I've got a 1.050 blonde fermenting right now with Bry-97. I saw no signs of fermentation in the first 3-4 days, but then it went bonkers and filled the airlock with gunk--twice. Apparently it likes to procrastinate, but once it gets moving, it gets moving.

Pitched re-hydrated BRY 97 yesterday in a Pale Ale; wort temp was around 76° F (a bit high, I know.) Put Ale Pail into a tub of 65° F water. Less than 24 hours later, I've got bubbles in the airlock every 15 - 30 seconds.

I plan on keeping it in the tub/swamp cooler a minimum of 10 days before taking it out to let the temp rise and the yeast clean up a bit.

Pitched re-hydrated BRY 97 yesterday in a Pale Ale; wort temp was around 76° F (a bit high, I know.) Put Ale Pail into a tub of 65° F water. Less than 24 hours later, I've got bubbles in the airlock every 15 - 30 seconds.

I plan on keeping it in the tub/swamp cooler a minimum of 10 days before taking it out to let the temp rise and the yeast clean up a bit.

I would bet that after five days it is 90 percent done that is when I would raise my temp. When I rep itch this yeast the work is done in 4 days usually but I keep the beers at 1.060 or less to start.:mug:

I don't know if this the the normal or not but after 4 repitches My yeast started to attenuate more what was normally 10.14 was 10.10 then the next repitch it was 10.06. My flavors seem to be the same except for a cleaner flavor and less aftertaste. My beers are mostly under 10.60 starting gravity.:mug:

Slurry about 1/3 of a yeast cake. I am considering trying to replicate this as I pitched meaning I trashed the yeast the yeast as I don't think I will be brewing a blonde for 6 weeks or more. It will be this fall before I could get to 5 repitches of this yeast. I have read that the Chico Strain does this also. US-05 :mug:

I will be brewing up AIH's Amber Ale today using harvested 05. I did make a small starter for it, though it probably was not necessary. We'll see how it turns out. Honestly, I'm not really a fan of beers that get below 1.010 - too dry for me, generally, though I think I did a farmhouse ale last year that got down to like 1.007 and I liked it.

Back