Brunette colored blonde ale? AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tullamoremike

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Any ideas on how to add color to a blonde ale without adding sweetness, toasted flavor etc? I'm trying to brew a "brunette" ale for my brunette wife; she's into light flavored beers and anything that reminds her of champagne. So I'll obviously be going for high attenuation and at least 3 vol. carb. I'm thinking of using dry notty and fermenting low (58?) to keep the attenuation high and the esters low and possibly adding 5% dextrose to dry it out even more. I'm at a loss when it comes to adding color without flavor though. Any ideas?

Wow, I'd never heard of debittered black patent or sinamar! Either seems perfect. I'll check out the LHBS. This one is on the schedule for Saturday so if I can't find either, she's getting food coloring in the bottling bucket (seriously). Has any one done this? I can't imagine there'd be much in food coloring to throw off flavors.

Back