bru'n water RO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbwolpert

Reaction score
I know this may not be the right place for this question..

I have been brewing all grain for quite a few batches now. But have been using pre packaged brew salts. (i know they can very quite a bit)
I live in Arizona and the water can swing a lot here. So i brew with Ro water. The issue im having is with Brun water. Its asking for ION concentrations for RO water. As far as im aware there is none. What should I put for these values. Any help is a appreciated. And yes I searched the forum and did not find anything speaking of this.

"If Reverse Osmosis (RO) or Distilled Water is the brewer's primary water source, then you must input appropriate ion concentrations on the Water Report Input sheet so that the Sparge Acidification calculations are correct. The water adjustments can then be properly entered to create the desired water profile. In the Supporter's version of Bru'n Water, this task is easily accomplished by setting the Dilution Water setting to either RO or Distilled and setting the sparging and mashing Dilution values to 100%."

If you're talking about the inputs on sheets 1 & 2 you can skip that when using RO or Distilled.

"If Reverse Osmosis (RO) or Distilled water is the Brewers primary water source, then Sheets 1 and 2 can be skipped and the brewer can move directly to Sheets 3 and 4. Select either RO or Distilled from the Dilution water profile selection and set the dilution percentage to 100 percent..."

Dont know what version you're using, but Im using 1.16.

I think you should be able to go to the water adjustment page in the free version and select RO in the dilution percentage at 100%. This should set the beginning water profile to the default values provided for RO water. It assumes there is some slight alkalinity left in the water. I do this and haven't encountered any problems.

I just set the water source as 100% dilution with RO water.

It's a handy method because if I decide I want to use some of my water for dark beers, I can simply change that to 50% or whatever gives me the numbers I like.

I know this may not be the right place for this question..

I have been brewing all grain for quite a few batches now. But have been using pre packaged brew salts. (i know they can very quite a bit)
I live in Arizona and the water can swing a lot here. So i brew with Ro water. The issue im having is with Brun water. Its asking for ION concentrations for RO water. As far as im aware there is none. What should I put for these values. Any help is a appreciated. And yes I searched the forum and did not find anything speaking of this.

"If Reverse Osmosis (RO) or Distilled Water is the brewer's primary water source, then you must input appropriate ion concentrations on the Water Report Input sheet so that the Sparge Acidification calculations are correct. The water adjustments can then be properly entered to create the desired water profile. In the Supporter's version of Bru'n Water, this task is easily accomplished by setting the Dilution Water setting to either RO or Distilled and setting the sparging and mashing Dilution values to 100%."

This same question came up in my mind. I use RO water like you, and consider it to be a blank slate. There are slightly different amounts of additions of various elements you can add based on the style of beers you are looking to brew. I make German styled beers like Pilsens and Helles, so I simply add 1/2 teaspoon each of CaCl and Epson salts per 5G of RO water. I feel this is adequate with neutral RO water to allow hop utilization and to wake up my beer flavors.

The dilution feature is not included in the Sparge Acidification sheet on the free version, but you can easily accomplish the same thing by entering the RO water data as your inputs on the Water Report Input sheet. Some typical RO water quality results are included in the RO data on the Water Adjustment sheet.

Sure, it would be nice to have all those features in the free version, but we are intentionally trying the present just the bare-bones info and inputs so that new users are less likely to throw up their hands and not try to use the program. Advanced users will find those extra features very useful in the Supporter's version...but they should already be familiar and unintimidated by the Bru'n Water interface.

Thank you for all your quick answers.
Two more question, Once adjustments are made and my adjusted water profile matches my chosen profile. the mashing water profile cells do not turn green.
Does anyone know the PH of Ro water.

Again thank you to all.

Latest posts

Back