Bruery Smoking Wood Porter recipe advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPlan00

Reaction score
I would really appreciate any input on the recipe below whether you have had this beer or not. I am going for the beer in the description linked, not necessarily a clone, but a big, earthy porter, in which the smoke is in the background with the character of the barrel and the rye from the grain and the barrel. Thanks in advance!

I recently acquired a freshly emptied 15 gallon rye barrel from Corsair Distillery in Bowling Green, KY.

I was planning on adding a porter that I am going to brew this Sunday. I was researching the net and came across this beer. I have not had it, but it is available here in Chicago. The description sounds amazing:
http://www.thebruery.com/beers/specialcollection.html

I looked to see if anyone had tried it, and to what success. Here is a recipe I came across, which I assume is for 5 gallons:

10# 2-row
4# Smoked malt
3# Rye malt
1# Crystal 80
1# Chocolate malt
.75# Crystal 40
.5# Black Patent

2 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min.
2 oz Willamette @ 30 min.

American ale yeast

My other question is in regard to the barrel. I can brew 12 gallons on my system, but the barrel is 15, any issue with not filling the barrel to the top?

I can't offer any advice, but I'd be very curious to know how this turned out for you as I love that beer and would like to replicate it if possible.

Back