BruControl: Brewery control & automation software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a few of those a couple months ago. Found out that ESP32S and ESP32-DevkitC are not the same sized board. The DevkitC is about 2-3mm wider than the 32S. Not a big deal as long as you didn't plan on using existing boards.

Thank you, I had no clue... I have a dozen different ones, I think they are all nodemcu, but there might be a wide one in there. I knew feather was narrower pin spacing (I see 0.8" now) and I knew I didn't want the S2 version, but I did not know about the 0.9" 'NodeMCU vs vs 1.0" "DevkitC"... thanks again!

In good news, I do have the Robotdyn MEGA 2560 ETH working with 45O and 1.1.01.5, it has the W5500(25MHz) printed on the back... (I have 2, a 45O and a 45K that I just swap back and forth for testing, but in the true nature of testing quirkiness, they both say 'active' on the POE daughterboard, but, only 1 works with cisco POE)

The only thing interesting is I was using PWM output 2 for PID testing, and the "Use PWM switch" is greyed out, I have switched to PWM output 3 and am tuning the PID on the bench and trying to grasp what using the 'Use PWM' does in my environment.
1609007353363.png

There seems to be a bug with the Use PWM switch getting greyed out. "Use PWM" switch grays out when a PWM Output Element exists for the same port. It should only grey out if the PID or Deadband Element port is not PWM Output capable based the interface type. Therefore, delete the other element and it should be accessible.

There seems to be a bug with the Use PWM switch getting greyed out. "Use PWM" switch grays out when a PWM Output Element exists for the same port. It should only grey out if the PID or Deadband Element port is not PWM Output capable based the interface type. Therefore, delete the other element and it should be accessible.
ahhh.. I use both on the same element for fast switch between manual and automatic control of an output... I will figure out a workaround...

Not sure if this helps, when I first opened my device after upgrading to 1.1.0.15, the dual throw port was set to zero and I changed it to None. As there is a zero port, maybe that’s causing this issue.

@BrunDog, existing devices are defaulting to zero for the Dual Throw Port instead of None. Any way to get that changed?
Thank you, your finding saved my day. :)

Just to report that FW for MEGA - 45 O (W) doesn't work with BC1.1.0.9 at least not for digital inputs. They are shown as "- - - -" and they cannot be turned on and off. Upgrade to version 1.1.0.15 is a must, at least to my knowledge.

BC1.1.0.9 and FW 45 O (W)

1609024505259.png

I've seen some issues reported after the upgrade ( O v45 W) and in regard to connectivity over Wi-Fi. It's a long shot but still wanted to report following:

Yesterday I have upgraded Mega to 45 O and couldn't see the interface connecting to BC. After quick troubleshooting, I noticed that my issue with is with WINC1500 and connection to Wi-Fi access point. Based on some previous experience with other devices, I decided to change encryption setting on my AP from "wpa/wpa2" to just "wpa2" and all worked immediately fine with connectivity Wi-Fi and to the BC. Since then my connection is flawless as it was before.

Important note:
Just to be clear, I am not saying these issues I had, have anything to do with the upgrade to 45 O (W) as I received an FW update for my router a couple of days ago. As I am in a testing group and receive very early releases of AP FW, that could be the reason why I lost connectivity and have those issues.

The calculation field determines how frequently the algorithm is run.

How often the calculation is performed doesn't seem to do the trick, I will keep tinkering. is the library used for PID a published one or is there a similar one you could point to that is published?

Another issue -
I also noticed that with 1-wire, at least, PID seems to take pre-calibration number, not post calibration number, as the input. This means that if your uncal temp is below the target, but the calibration moves the input above the target, the PID keeps outputting as if it has not reached temp until the uncal temp reaches the target.....

We didn't use a library, but it is similar in calculation to the Arduino PID one.

Yes, 1-wire does not calibrate. Initially by design as they were considered "pure". But we recognize some want them to have offsets, which we need to add.
While adding items, the RTD parameter for 2/3/4 wire should be added as well. I have 4 wire that are Platinum that I got used off Ebay for a great price. I did not realize that BruControl is set for 3 wire.

While adding items, the RTD parameter for 2/3/4 wire should be added as well. I have 4 wire that are Platinum that I got used off Ebay for a great price. I did not realize that BruControl is set for 3 wire.

While tinkering in the RTD code, porting the fault codes over might be a low-effort bonus...

and with 2-wire correctly done, The MAX31865 can do thermistors also however you would have to change R-ref, but if making a PCB, that is simple.

1609166769625.png

there is clearly a software component:
View attachment 712016
Well, I don't like to admit when I'm wrong... but hopefully everyone is cool that I am human!

Yes, we indeed have the code set for 3-wire. Good callout @clearwaterbrewer. That said, you can still use a four wire RTD - the fourth wire is going to be ignored, but this won't make for a huge difference in accuracy. For beer, it shouldn't matter. For distilling, I assume accuracy is much more critical.

When known issues are corrected with a firmware, is it uploaded under same name and date revised? In other words if I miss a post on this thread or elsewhere what's the best way to determine a firmware to be stable?

No, we would always post with an incremented version code.

Regarding 45O... I haven't been able to duplicate any issues with either Ethernet or Wi-Fi. Tested a few MEGA's with W500 Ethernet and WINC1500 Wi-Fi with success, so if there are any issues we haven't it characterized yet.

Just saw this pretty neat little J4125 based nano PC, with Prime coupon, its landed at $200.

https://www.amazon.com/NucBox-Windows-Computer-128GB-512GB-Bluetooth/dp/B08KZMPK2P

@BrunDog - in your opinion is the J4125 worth the $35 premium over the N4100 version for $165 (200 with $35 coupon applied at checkout) for running BruContol(with SQL)? I remember you bought an N4100/8GB a while back, I was looking at a comparison of the processors, and was on the fence.. using a HP laptop with core2Duo T7700 2.4ghz with 4(3)gb..

@BrunDog - in your opinion is the J4125 worth the $35 premium over the N4100 version for $165 (200 with $35 coupon applied at checkout) for running BruContol(with SQL)? I remember you bought an N4100/8GB a while back, I was looking at a comparison of the processors, and was on the fence.. using a HP laptop with core2Duo T7700 2.4ghz with 4(3)gb..
I have also been toying with the idea of getting a mini pc just for BruControl and nothing else on it except antivirus. IMO: Faster and Bigger (RAM and Storage) are always better, but there is a limit to $ to spend. I see a 32 gb Ram with a 512 SSD for under $600 and just over $500 with 32gb Ram 256 SSD. Probably excessive overkill like most of my Brewery Plans. Is the 32 Ram going to work better with BruControl?

I have also been toying with the idea of getting a mini pc just for BruControl and nothing else on it except antivirus. IMO: Faster and Bigger (RAM and Storage) are always better, but there is a limit to $ to spend. I see a 32 gb Ram with a 512 SSD for under $600 and just over $500 with 32gb Ram 256 SSD. Probably excessive overkill like most of my Brewery Plans. Is the 32 Ram going to work better with BruControl?

to me, 32 is way overkill for BC w SQL, I would like 16gb over 8, and saw this on ali for $238 with J4125/16GB/128GB

edit - I just noticed that the N4100 I linked for $165 also is saying $125 off with a prime credit card application, which is the highest I have ever seen... but the J4125 will give $100 in checkout... $40 out the door vs $100... decisions, decisions...

I’m not an expert and don’t know enough about the diff between the N and J series. I got a J4125 on a lightning deal and I think it’s snappy enough. Certainly small and quiet.

BC doesn’t need a lot of horsepower but I think 8 GB is enough and a minimum for Win10. Computers with more oomph tend to be viable longer so it’s a bit of an investment. It cost is a primary concern and space isn’t an issue, there are some really nice refurbs on eBay with core i3 or i5 processors. Absolutely get an SSD for storage. I’d avoid anything atom based in a mini PC and stick with Celeron or more.

Also it makes sense to turn off a bunch of unneeded Windows services to help with memory and speed. For example, you likely don’t need OneDrive running in the background. There are a bunch of guides online to walk through it. Only takes a few minutes to make Win10 leaner.

I’m not an expert and don’t know enough about the diff between the N and J series. I got a J4125 on a lightning deal and I think it’s snappy enough. Certainly small and quiet.

BC doesn’t need a lot of horsepower but I think 8 GB is enough and a minimum for Win10. Computers with more oomph tend to be viable longer so it’s a bit of an investment. It cost is a primary concern and space isn’t an issue, there are some really nice refurbs on eBay with core i3 or i5 processors. Absolutely get an SSD for storage. I’d avoid anything atom based in a mini PC and stick with Celeron or more.

Also it makes sense to turn off a bunch of unneeded Windows services to help with memory and speed. For example, you likely don’t need OneDrive running in the background. There are a bunch of guides online to walk through it. Only takes a few minutes to make Win10 leaner.

you have both the N4100 and the J4125 though, right? is the diff noticeable?

My T7700 core2duo 2.4 4GB takes 30 seconds to boot BC with my config, the same config moved to a i7-4770 3.4 16gb still takes 23 seconds with the same config.

is there a list of % commands?
I have 0,1,2,3,7 from the communications window and the following work in termite when the interface is not connected to BC:
%0&15; - setup
%1&14; debug 1 level
%2&17; undebug 1 level
%3&16; reset 1-wire (found through trial and error)
%4&11; does something with LCD
%7&12; show the version (found through trial and error, this also undebugs)

Is there a way to reset a mega with a command? %3 is not doing the trick to see 1-wire probes that went offline, which just happened when I restarted BC app to see how long it took to load... it doesn't make sense, I know, but just looking for a way to reset the interface with a % command without physically being there. I do have USB serial port connectivity from another PC and all I get is 196.6 after it says it senses 0 1-wires.

1609257390628.png

I don’t mean to be short, but the control codes are listed in the manual.

The new direct script statement allows you to send the reset bus control code directly. I’ll reply back with an example.
my apologies, I did not see them in the manual, but they are right there...

Edit - it takes full power off of board for 10 seconds or more to get the temp probes reading again, and I have USB access to the device... Granted this is 1.1.0.9 and 45K, so I will wit until I replace this board with one that works well with 45O, the robodyn mega2560eth, as soon as my stacking headers arrive so it fits. then if it persists, I will try to get assistance...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back