Brown Porter Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDog

Reaction score
Here is a recipe I'm playing with after looking at some examples on here. I plan on turning it into a vanilla pumpkin spice porter but I'm still playing with my spice mix.

Mash:
Mash at 153* for 60 mins
2 Batch Sparge

Grains:
10lb Pale Malt (2-Row)
1lb Crystal - 60L
.75 lb Chocolate Malt
.50 lb Black Patent

Hops:
Northern Brewer @60mins
Challenger @5mins

Yeast:
Wyeast 1084

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, a brown porter needs brown malt. It's the defining character of a brown porter. I'd use brown malt and no black patent, for a brown porter.

Your recipe is more of a robust porter, with the black patent in it. If that is what you want, that will be good. The level of roast might be a bit much for spices, though.

I definitely don't want to overpower the spices. Would you add say a pound of brown malt in place of the black patent?

I definitely don't want to overpower the spices. Would you add say a pound of brown malt in place of the black patent?

Yes, I'd use a pound of brown malt in that recipe. I'm going to use 1.5 pounds in the brown porter I"m doing next. I'm going to use maris otter for the base malt.

I would definitely use Maris Otter as a base for this and most other English beers. It's not overpowering enough to turn it into a malt bomb, it just has a more pronounced toastiness to it.

It's not required but if you're shooting for style accuracy, it'll help. So will using British crystal malt.

Another vote for brown malt. Maris Otter, brown malt and chocolate malt are a must in a proper low gravity porter.

Latest posts

Back