Brown ale recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phlyborn

Reaction score
I'm about to make an AG brown ale and was looking for some input as to weather the recipe looks alright.
4 gal. Batch

5.6lb MO pale
1.5lb Munich 10l
.75lb Crystal 60
.375lb Choc. Malt (350l)
.375lb Honey malt (.25l)

.3 Horizon 60min
.3 Willamette 45min
.2 Horizon 30min
.5 Willamette 5min

British ale 2 (1335 wyeast)
or
American ale (1056 wyeast)

Mash @ 154F- 60min. Mash out 170F- 10min
Thanks ahead of time for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That looks fine. I prefer some toast flavors in my browns, a few to 10% percent of victory/biscuit/amber/brown malt/pale chocolate, but thats just preference, but yours should make a fine simple brown. Id avoid brittish chocolate malt and use domestic if you are picking one, sometimes it, while delicious, will be overly dark and harsh, for a this beer. Or at least taste the malts available at the LHBS and pick the chocolate malt with a mellower flavor.

Im assuming that looks like 20-25 IBUs or so.

Yes, the color is estimated to be
23 SRM and 33 IBU
OG: 1.055. FG: 1.014
I have considered using amber, biscuit or brown malt. I'll keep the chocolate advice in mind also thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1 on the brown malt. always goes great with MO.
Just my opinion, but you may be splitting hair with the hops. I typically hop in one once increments. I'm in the KISS camp(keep it simple stupid) Esp with willamette being such a low alpha hop. (willamette is my fav by the way). you can easily do 1 oz for bitter and 1 oz at flameout, or if you want hoppier profile to level out the sweet, go with 3 oz hops. 1 at 60, 1 at 30 and 1 at 10 or flameout. best of luck.

I recently did a 3 Gallon Brown ale that's just about ready for bottling. But I'd go with the crowd here and swap the Munich out with some brown malt and victory.

The yeast I used was some new Mangrove jacks Newcastle dark ale yeast, and I'm very pleased with it.

I made this kit from Northern Brewer and it was amazing! Best Brown Ale I ever made. This is for a 3 gal. BIAB.

- 5.5 lbs. Fawcett Optic pale malt
- 1 lb. flaked oats
- 1lb. Belgian Munich malt
- 1 lb. Belgian Special B
- 0.5 lb. Brown malt
- 0.33 lb. Fawcett Pale Chocolate
1 oz UK Bramling Cross hops (boil for 60 minutes)
1 oz Styrian Goldings hops (boil for 10 minutes)

+1 on the brown malt. always goes great with MO.

Just my opinion, but you may be splitting hair with the hops. I typically hop in one once increments. I'm in the KISS camp(keep it simple stupid) Esp with willamette being such a low alpha hop. (willamette is my fav by the way). you can easily do 1 oz for bitter and 1 oz at flameout, or if you want hoppier profile to level out the sweet, go with 3 oz hops. 1 at 60, 1 at 30 and 1 at 10 or flameout. best of luck.

I do believe I'm going to add some brown malt to the mix now. I'll check out the 3 oz route. I'm really just trying strike a balance with the hops. Enough to notice but not too much. I never used Willamette and this is only my fourth AG batch.

Appreciate everyone's reply, it is helpful.

I give everyone the same advice about brown ales. Try Pale Chocolate if you dont want the roast and try Wyeast Dennys 1450. Great mouthfeel! I just kegged the same grain bill with WLP Platinum Bedford ale and the pre carbed taste was pretty good as well.

Back