Brown Ale Baffler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

And2k50

Reaction score
I found this recipe in a book for a Brown Ale, im listing the ingredients in the order of addition to the brew

225g crushed crystal Malt
3kg of liquid malt amber
1 0z northern brewer pellets
1 pound belgium candi sugar
1/2 oz of cluster hop pellets
1 tsp irish moss
8 oz of brown sugar
8oz mollasses
1 oz whole leaf goldings hops
1 ale yeast
8-10oz of maple syrup after 3 days primary ferment

but i havent been able to get all the ingredients so im gonna substitute a few things as follows

instead of northern brewer hops im gonna use northdown hops
instead of cluster hop pellets im gonna use Challenger hop pellets
instead of brown sugar im using dark muscavado
and finally instead of mollases im using the same weight in treacle

what i want to know is, will this dramatically reduce the chances of this beer working out and if so is there something i should be using instead of one of my substitutes?

if anyone wants to know the book is "An enthusiasts guide to Homebrew Beers by Sam Calgione" not sure if that helps really but hey :drunk:

I don't see any problems, although light muscavado might be closer. I'd say 60 minutes for the northdown hops, 15 or 20 minutes for Challenger and 5 for the Goldings, if Sam doesn't list times.

Thanks man, much appreciated, i kinda suspected it'd be ok too proceed but when you have a resouce like this forum on tap it'd be foolish not to use it, thanks again

Latest posts

Back