Brooklyn Brew Shop's Chocolate Maple Porter - Tips and Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning, gents, and thanks for the feedback.

Your observations would dovetail with mine pretty well, I think. There was some very nice and highly-active fermentation for the first few days, and then it tapered off quite a bit to almost nothing that I could observe. I am sure that the fermentation was pretty much done at two weeks, but by all accounts an extra week won't hurt anything, so it seemed like a good idea in order to make sure, especially since my room temperatures were on the cooler end of the spectrum.

I may skip the cold-crashing, since my wife just filled our refrigerator pretty full in advance of a busy week and there probably won't be any room for the fermentor. I'll see how things are on Sunday, and decide then.

As for bottling, I've finished reading a very extensive thread on the experiences people have had with BBS kits, and it looks as though by nearly all accounts, the three tablespoons of honey used to prime to bottle fermentation might be just a little too much, resulting in over-carbonation and a little too much head, but no bottle bombs. Most people ended up settling on two tablespoons, with many using 2.5. Based on this, I'll try 2.5 tablespoons and see how it goes.

Well, Eric ~ it looks like my choice was made for me!

When I got home from work, I saw that our cat, Dexter (who is extremely well-fed), had somehow actually broken the window of the room where my beer is fermenting. Don't ask me how or why, because I don't know, but we put him out this morning, and when I got home, he was napping in the closed room near the broken glass - happy as a pig in slop - and can be the only suspect.

Since we won't be able to get it fixed until Monday, and since no other room in the house has an area as dark and stable in temperature, I decided to cold crash the beer starting tonight. There was just enough room in the fridge, so I covered the top with sanitised foil and placed it there. It's a little shy of the three weeks of fermentation that I wanted, but well more than the two weeks that were most likely adequate; I predict that things will be fine.

This was the first time that I was able to closely inspect the beer, rather than quickly glancing at it. It was fairly clear and only slightly cloudy toward the bottom (which might have been because of my moving it). The trub was about an inch thick and was light-coloured on top, quite dark on the bottom. It smelled really good; I'm not sure how it should smell, of course, but it had a nice, earthy slightly-sweet aroma from the Fuggle hops, and I am quite sure I smelled alcohol, as well. Success, I think!

Bottling is set for Sunday, and I'll also probably begin my next brew then, as well. I had intended to do Grapefruit Honey Ale, but might do the Oatmeal Stout instead (with the oatmeal-raisin cookie variation), so that it can be ready in time for cold weather.

I thought you were going to say the dog broke the fermenter!

Sounds like it's where it's supposed to be. It actually clears from the top down. You're probably in good shape.

Well, I bottled this brew today - my first home brew ever - and I think I've got a winner here. As far as I can tell, everything came together as well as anyone could expect or hope for.

Being my first time, the bottling probably took a little longer than it had to, but no worries - by the end, I had it figured out. I had been cold-crashing since Friday, so I took the fermenter out and let it sit at room temperature (covered so it would stay dark) to bring the chill off. Looking back, I probably could have given it another hour to warm up, but I'm sure everything will be fine.

After mixing the maple syup with some hot water and stirring to dissolve, I siphoned the beer from the fermenter to a pot; the mini auto-siphon was a godsend for this procedure, and I am convinced that this simple tool is probably the best 10$ that anyone could spend for home brewing.

Once this was done, I stirred it gently to make sure that the priming syrup was evenly distributed, then proceeded to bottle the sanitised bottles - again with the mini auto-siphon. There was a bit of a learning curve, but it wasn't long before we were moving quite efficiently.

By the time we were done, I had 10 bottles of beer that hopefully will carbonate with no issues. I plan to try to keep them in the 65-70-degree range as best as I can, and will allow 3 full weeks for conditioning before cracking open my first bottle of home-brewed beer ~ can't wait to try it! :mug:

Well, to be honest, I did get a sneak pre-view....

After bottling, there was about half a cup of beer left, so I was able to sample my work. It smelled great, just as I described above - but the taste was indeed as amazing as the aroma was. I don't know how they did it, but the deeply roasted malts and the maple syrup really do give an impression of having some really nice dark chocolate - the earthy Fuggle hops really set it off nicely, too - with the whole thing having a nice, warm glow from the alcohol. In my mind, the aroma and flavour worked together to produce something that is just right for the cold winter months; it's like the perfect late-fall/early-winter day in a bottle - all that was missing was a crackling fire, a good book, and gentle snow falling outside the window. Heck, I wanted to drink it all right there, but figure it will be even better after some carbonation and mellowing - we shall see!

It's nearly impossible to get 10 bottles from a gallon. There's 128 oz in a gallon, and you had a half cup leftover. That's a very good yield!

Thanks, guys - I checked temperatures this morning and I was sitting just barely above 70 degrees for the room temperature, so it looks like things are on track for good carbonation.

Getting the 10 bottles seemed like a miracle, considering a lot of the posts I've read here. I am pretty sure that cold-crashing helped with this, as well as making sure I was just over the "one gallon" mark after the boil. The member named "Cobrem" recommended keeping track of the boil rate during a dry run (in order to get an idea of how much water to add at the beginning of the boil so that one would end up with a gallon at the end), and this advice was very valuable - thank you, Cobrem! :mug:

Now the wait begins - and the planning for the next project. As I mentioned before, I have all of the ingredients lined up for their Oatmeal Stout, including the "oatmeal raisin cookie" variation. If nothing's going on this evening, I may brew it tonight; however, it might have to wait until the weekend. I might also be able to start a cider project later this week, if my yeast arrives as I hope it will.

Barring any unforseen circumstance (such as bottle bombs or unusual developments), my next report will hopefully include some tasting notes!

... then proceeded to bottle the sanitised bottles - again with the mini auto-siphon. There was a bit of a learning curve, but it wasn't long before we were moving quite efficiently.

Ron, look into getting a bottle wand (something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E66A4U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) before your next bottling run. Makes it so much easier and less messy.

I had planned on starting my wife's first beer this past Sunday, but life gets in the way, you know. Hopefully this coming weekend will have a chunk of free time we can get it done in.

:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy, Mike - great to see you here! :mug:

I am going to look into one of these - looks like it will definitely make bottling a breeze, at first glance. Once I got the system down, I was doing pretty well, but with one-gallon batches, every drop of beer is precious, so anything I can do to ensure the best yield possible is a good thing.

As for this Chocolate Maple Porter, if you like the darker beers (and I seem to remember that you do), this one is a real gem. I wasn't too much of a dark beer person before, but this beer is definitely changing my mind, as I found it to be wonderful when I sampled it at bottling ~ those Fuggle hops were especially impressive.... I'm expecting good things from the Oatmeal Cookie Stout, as well!

I definitely know about life getting in the way sometimes -let me know when you get it going! I found that - just as in cooking - if you take look after your mise en place, things go pretty well. Any question or issues, just get in touch ~

Ron

Well, a few days after bottling, the question on my mind is: How can I tell if the beer is carbonating?

I've been keeping the bottles in a dark area where the ambient temperature is 68 to 72 degrees, which as far as I can tell from reading seems like an optimum temperature range.

I took a peek this morning, and it dawned on me that I really don't know any obvious signs that the beer is carbonating, other than perhaps shaking it up and potentially watching the cap blow off. There was some sediment on the bottom of the few random bottles I checked, and it seemed at first that this would be the most telling sign of carbonation - but what if that sediment is simply from the fermenter and got sucked up in the transfer from fermenter to pot, then to the bottle?

I'll wait the proscribed two weeks (perhaps three) before opening any bottles and finding out for sure, but in the meantime, I was wondering if there are any reliable, observable signs that I could be advised of.

Thanks in advance -

Ron

I typically use corn sugar, and just open one after a week. With only 10 bottles, I'd wait two weeks.

Well, a few days after bottling, the question on my mind is: How can I tell if the beer is carbonating?

I've been keeping the bottles in a dark area where the ambient temperature is 68 to 72 degrees, which as far as I can tell from reading seems like an optimum temperature range.

I took a peek this morning, and it dawned on me that I really don't know any obvious signs that the beer is carbonating, other than perhaps shaking it up and potentially watching the cap blow off. There was some sediment on the bottom of the few random bottles I checked, and it seemed at first that this would be the most telling sign of carbonation - but what if that sediment is simply from the fermenter and got sucked up in the transfer from fermenter to pot, then to the bottle?

I'll wait the proscribed two weeks (perhaps three) before opening any bottles and finding out for sure, but in the meantime, I was wondering if there are any reliable, observable signs that I could be advised of.

Thanks in advance -

Ron

Sediment is a pretty good sign. If you were careful about siphoning*, there wouldn't be a lot of sediment that you got out of the fermenter, which means it's not much in each bottle. So if you're seeing a significant amount in each bottle, that's from the bottle fermentation.

Are you keeping it about 70 degrees? That's good for carbonation (2-3 weeks), then chill it down.

*you got a really high yield (10 bottles + ), so you might have sucked up more than some people do.

Oh, but it is important to look at them every day so they don't think you've forgotten about them. It motivates them to try harder. Same as when it's fermenting, you have to "check on it" every day. Or is that just me?

Oh, but it is important to look at them every day so they don't think you've forgotten about them. It motivates them to try harder. Same as when it's fermenting, you have to "check on it" every day. Or is that just me?

I get a peek each morning when I am grabbing a shirt for work, and while it was fermenting, it was easy to get a glimpse of things. The beer must have known I was checking on it, because it seems to have done it's job quite well!

Last night, I took a closer look at each of the 10 bottles; all seem to have exactly the same small amount of fine sediment on the bottom, so I am hoping that this is a sign that they have been carbonating. My theory is that if it were sediment that somehow made it into the pot, then into the bottles, there would be varying amounts of sediment. Not much of a theory, but it's all I have to keep me happy until I actually open one up, which will be 2 weeks from this coming Sunday. I also tilted/swirled them very gently, and noted rings of bubbles gathering at the top; once again, it probably doesn't mean much, but one can hope!

I have all the ingredients and equipment on hand to make the Oatmeal Cookie Stout this weekend; with luck I'll have time to do exactly that. Sunday is opening day of Deer season, so I might try to do it tomorrow.

Alright, the 2-week "waiting period" following bottling has come and gone; due to being rather ill (flat-out SICK would be a better word) the past few days, I've decided to go ahead and give my first brew one more week in the bottle to condition before sampling.

I took a peek at the bottles this morning, and was pleased to see that no caps have blown and everything looks good (I assume). There is the same very-small amount of fine-looking sediment that I noticed before, about the same amount that I see in bottle-conditioned beer that I buy at the store. While looking them over, I accidentally dropped one bottle, but caught it before it hit the table. I noticed the same bubbling up at the neck that I would expect from a fully-carbonated beer, so it looks to me as though I've been successful in making beer.

Will it be good? That remains to be seen. I'll put a bottle in the refrigerator on Friday night, and then sample it on Sunday. I realise that I am placing the whole process on a pedastal that is higher than it probably deserves to be, but what the hell, it's my first! :)

In the meantime, @JINKS over in the labeling forum took some concepts and images that were rolling around in my mind and transformed them into a very nice label for my bottles:

231362d1414129181-well-fix-your-label-you-thread-timekiller.jpg

He also came up with a design for neck labels as well:

231827d1414347404-well-fix-your-label-you-thread-fischer_neck-labels.jpg

I'm thinking that things are looking pretty good for this project!

Due to several factors, including work and my above-mentioned illness, I haven't yet been able to brew my second batch of beer (Oatmeal Cookie Stout), but plan on doing so this weekend.

@PitRow - Mike, I forgot about it at the time, but I do in fact have one of those bottle wands/fillers, exactly as you described! It came with the initial kit that my wife got for me for my birthday, and I had it packed away with all of my 5-gallon brewing equipment. I'll give it a try on my next project! :mug:

Alright, the 2-week "waiting period" following bottling has come and gone; due to being rather ill (flat-out SICK would be a better word) the past few days, I've decided to go ahead and give my first brew one more week in the bottle to condition before sampling.

I took a peek at the bottles this morning, and was pleased to see that no caps have blown and everything looks good (I assume). There is the same very-small amount of fine-looking sediment that I noticed before, about the same amount that I see in bottle-conditioned beer that I buy at the store. While looking them over, I accidentally dropped one bottle, but caught it before it hit the table. I noticed the same bubbling up at the neck that I would expect from a fully-carbonated beer, so it looks to me as though I've been successful in making beer.

Will it be good? That remains to be seen. I'll put a bottle in the refrigerator on Friday night, and then sample it on Sunday. I realise that I am placing the whole process on a pedastal that is higher than it probably deserves to be, but what the hell, it's my first! :)

In the meantime, @JINKS over in the labeling forum took some concepts and images that were rolling around in my mind and transformed them into a very nice label for my bottles:

231362d1414129181-well-fix-your-label-you-thread-timekiller.jpg

He also came up with a design for neck labels as well:

231827d1414347404-well-fix-your-label-you-thread-fischer_neck-labels.jpg

I'm thinking that things are looking pretty good for this project!

Due to several factors, including work and my above-mentioned illness, I haven't yet been able to brew my second batch of beer (Oatmeal Cookie Stout), but plan on doing so this weekend.

@PitRow - Mike, I forgot about it at the time, but I do in fact have one of those bottle wands/fillers, exactly as you described! It came with the initial kit that my wife got for me for my birthday, and I had it packed away with all of my 5-gallon brewing equipment. I'll give it a try on my next project! :mug:

I suspect you done darn good.

Chocolate Maple Porter was my first out-of-the-box recipe when my daughters got me a BBS 1-gallon kit a few years ago. I plan on doing a 2-gallon "scratch batch" with my BrewDemon real soon; hopefully Sunday since the Vikings are on a bye.

I am considering putting half and half into secondaries, with one having some peppers for a little spice.

Let us know how yours turn out!

Okay, as of today, my first brew has fermented for 3 weeks and then has been bottled for just about 3 weeks. When I get home tonight, a few bottles of this beeer will be going into the refrigerator until Sunday, at which time I will sample and evaluate. I'll also put the rest aside in a dark, cool place to age/condition further.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of this first project; in the time since first beginning with bewing, I've really come to appreciate the process, and am eager to learn even more as I continue what was (and is) indeed a family tradition.

Thanks to all for your assistance and advice!

Ron

Well, due to a series of brushfires that I had to deal with when I got home from work, I wasn't able to get the bottles into the refrigerator until today, but that's alright. I'm sure that will be plenty of time to chill, pack the thin, fine layer of sediment etc.

Before refrigerating, I spent the morning cutting out the labels that I printed (shown in a previous post), then affixed them to my bottles with a glue stick. They look pretty good, actually! I'll get a photo when I open the first bottle of my first home brew, which should be tomorrow evening.

Looking forward to it!

Well, for a first brew, I'd call it a success. I'll post more photos at a later date when I can get a full report written up; but at this time, here are some notes.

Note: Please forgive my getting some of the jargon wrong!

After refrigerating for over 24 hours, I was finally able to sample my first brew. I opened it very slowly, because I wasn't sure what to expect where carbonation was concerned. I thought that I had only primed with two tablespoons of maple syrup (versus the three called for in the instructions); however, I must have used three after all. When I cracked the seal on the cap, a thin but persistent trail of foam slowly but steadily came out. I gave it a few minutes, letting it drain off into a mug - It didn't amount to much beer, but I didn't want to lose it!

Anyway, the flow of foam eventually slowed to the point where I felt it was alright to finish bringing the cap off. When I poured the beer, it gave a pretty tall, dark head, but it seemed a little thin. I assume that the head will thicken up (and the carbonation might possibly tone down) with a few weeks of conditioning. In any case, here's how it looked:

ChocolateMaplePorter-5.jpg

Don't judge the A&W mug! It's all I have! LOL....

After waiting a few minutes for the head to settle down, I gave it a try.

Impressions:

The aroma seemed great - rich and complex, with a very definite essence of dark chocolate and a noticable hint of the maple syrup. As I was tipping the mug back to drink, these aromas did pronounce themselves a little more, especially the maple, which was still subtle, yet definitely there.

The mouthfeel was good, as far as I can tell. In spite of the obvious over-carbonation, the feel of the carbonation as I drank the porter seemed just about right, and what I expect from a beer. This is a minor success for me, as I got no carbonation when I tried to make root beer last year. The look of the beer as I poured it seemed rich and almost thick due to the nature of the porter, but at the same time, it had a bit of a thin quality to it that implies to me that it would benefit from a little more conditioning.

As for the flavour, I was quite impressed. I've seen a lot of discussion here and on FaceBook pages about using cocoa nibs in "chocolate" beers, but to be honest, I don't think they are necessary at all, when dark, chocolate-roasted grains/malts are used. There was a definite dark-chocolate flavour and finish, with a nice, warm, slight bitterness that was saved from being too much by the subtle maple sweetness. The porter is advertised as 6.5% ABV, and this seems about right, judging by the alcohol "warmth" that I detected - definitely more than most beers I drink, but less than wine or other higher-ABV beverages. There was none of the "hoppy" bitterness that I was worried about; in fact, the fuggle hops worked their way right into the flavour profile beautifully in order to give me a really nice mouthful of autumn day. All of the flavours seemed great, but it was like they all stood apart from each other to an extent. Once again, this leads me to think that the beer is still a little "young."

When brewing this beer, I only had one "SNAFU" that caused me to worry: during the mash, my temperatures got pretty high for just a moment or two - over 180 degrees - and even though I quickly brought the temperature back down, I was worried that this might adversely affect the finished product. As far as I can tell, this did not happen, and it is possible that I simply got the thermometer too close to the bottom of the pot (and thus the burner).

All together, I count it as a pretty dang good success, especially for a first-ever brew with no experience and only the most basic of equipment. As I said, I've only had one or two other porters, and this was easily as good as those; in fact, in some ways, it even was a little better. It simply seemed a little "un-finished" - as I understand, this can be the case with the darker beers, which can benefit greatly from some conditioning time. As someone with experience with sauces and soups, I can easily imagine how great this will be once the flavours and other components have a few weeks to meld and mingle.

Questions:

a) To anyone who has brewed this or similar porters, do these descriptions dovetail with your observations? Did the passage of time result in any noticible changes in the characteristics, mouthfeel or flavour of the beer?

b) In order to allow the beer to continue to condition, would it be better off in the refrigerator, on a shelf, or does it matter?

c) Where the slight over-carbonation is concerned, are there any remedies at this point? I've heard that time in the refrigerator eventually allows the beer to absorb some of the excess carbonation, but I do not know.

d) Does anyone see where I may have screwed up in a meaningful way? In your opinion, how did I do? Any advice for the future?

Thanks to all for the advice, assistance and encouragement. I'll be brewing my second beer on Tuesday (oatmeal cookie stout) and hope to continue the learning as well as the success.

Ron

Looks and sounds good! I have a couple of thoughts for the next one.

If you mashed at 180 for any length of time (including the time it takes to get to 180 and back down), that's pretty high. You'd probably end up with less fermentable wort, which means a lower alcohol content than expected. Keep the temperature under control.

(Of course, there is nothing wrong with a maltier, sweeter beer. I mashed brown at about 160+ before, and although it was low ABV, it was tasty.)

Triple check your sanitation. When you have a really foamy beer, it CAN be because bacteria/wild yeast are working on more sugar than you planned on. They can also convert more of the sugars to alcohol, so even if you mashed high, you could end up with the same body and ABV, but maybe less tasty.

(Off hand, I would say that a really foamy and slightly thin beer means that you have some kind of bacteria or wild yeast in there. Especially if you mashed that high - you should have a thick beer.)

If everything seemed cool after fermentation, then be sure your bottles are clean and sanitized. And caps, capper, hoses, hands, etc. etc. etc. etc.

But it is true that dark beers generally get better over time, so give it another week or two. Around the time your next one finishes fermenting, this one could be getting good.

I sometimes get one or two gushers with the last few bottles that have excess yeast in them. That may have been your issue. If not, just hope that one was a random gusher because it could be an indication that you;ve got a bunch of ticking timebombs. I would fridge and open another asap to be sure.

As far as storage, I try to keep mine kind of warm (70F) until they carb and then try to do maybe lower 60s for storage. You certainly dont need to devote all that fridge space.

As a side note, are you going to make labels for each of your beers? That looks far and away the best first beer I;ve seen. All my batches just have drunkenly scribbled colored sharpie letters on the top that only I can read...but then again there's no way I;d have time to print and label 10gal of beer each week

You bottle 10 gallons a week? Do you drink it that fast?

You bottle 10 gallons a week? Do you drink it that fast?

Haha, no way. I'm a total lightweight. I get tanked off of a 6pack. I have made a lot of "friends" that help out. I also was just commissioned to cater a guy's wedding so I unloaded close to 250 bottles last weekend. Now my beer storage spot seems so empty and sad...

Say, guys - thanks for the discussion on this. I'm pretty sure that the carbonation issue was because of a little too much priming sugar (maple syrup). The instructions said 3 tablespoons, but most here report that 2.5 or even 2 tablespoons would be plenty to get correct carbonation.

UPDATE - what a difference a couple of days make! I took one out to my dad yesterday for Veterans Day (he served in the US Army) and the beer was noticeably better:

ChocolateMaplePorter-7.jpg

The head seemed much thicker and creamier than it was even a couple of days before, and the carbonation issue was almost non-existent, as well. Instead of slowly opening the beer, as I did, he popped the cap right off, and only a little bit of foam slowly bubbled up. The flavour and mouthfeel also seemed a little more "finished."

Based on this, I beleive my procedure with the Brooklyn Brew Shop recipes will be this:

3 weeks fermenting
3 weeks carbonating/conditioning after bottling (minimum)
1 week in the refrigerator before opening. (minimum)

This may change as I gain mroe experience, but it seems like a good way to go, for now.

Regarding the alcohol content, I don't know for sure. It was definitely present, and seemed "stronger" and "warmer" than the production beers that I am familiar with, but I don't know. I do have a hydrometer and might try experimenting with it in future brews in order to get a better handle on this.

m00ps - no worry (cross my fingers) about the time bombs - after bottling, these babies sat for 3 weeks in temperatures hovering around 70 degrees after bottling, with no explosions. I am reasonably sure (knock on wood) that the whole thing was simply a little too much priming sugar.

Thanks to all - please keep the comments, replies etc. coming.

Yeah you ashoukd be good. From what I understand , you are vulnerable to bottle bombs if it carbs too quickly. The pressure goes in a bell curve where its highest before the co2 is forced back into the beer

I've had random bombs from beers less than 2.5vol co2 either from overactive yeast or bottle defects. Its always within the first 2 weeks

Another update and some notes based on a couple of conversations that I've had.....

ANOTHER UPDATE - I gave one to a co-worker to try, and even though he is not a "porter man," he reported that it was very good. He said that flavours were all exactly what he would expect from a good porter, and he had no carbonation issues. Since this was a few days longer after the one I gave to my dad, I am going to assume (dangerous) that simple time took care of what I thought was a problem - either that, or it wasn't a problem to begin with.

NOTES: The main take-away from all of this is that adding a week to the fermenting and carbonating time-line of the instructions seems to give better results, and I predict that at least one extra week of conditioning would be beneficial; hence my "modified" timeline above.

For what it's worth, Brooklyn Brew Shop's instructions for this beer are here:

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/directions/Brooklyn_Brew_Shop_Chocolate_Maple_Porter_Instructions.pdf

I definitely wouldn't say that the beer was "sweet" - there was a hint of somethng there, but it was more like an aroma that was almost a taste, if that makes sense. The beer itself had the dark and roasty flavour that I was expecting, with a lingering bitterness like dark chocolate. Up above this was a maple essence that balanced the bitterness well. When I was brewing, there was some definite sweetness that complimented the Fuggle hops very well, giving an impression of the aroma of autumn leaves blowing in the wind. This impression was still in the finished beer, but the sweetness itself was pushed way to the back.

I'm starting to think that the "high" reading I got from the thermometer was because I had the probe down too close to the burner (glass top stove, thin-ish stainless-steel pot etc.). In the future, I am toying with the idea of setting the kettle in the oven (on lowest setting) once I mash in, and then maintaining temperature range from there.

I'm still learning the science behind everyhting, but it seems as though the development of the beer was close to the mark. Based on the second beer that we saw at my dad's, and also the report of my co-worker, I'm thinking that my initial "thin" impression might have been more in my head than anything else, because the foam/head seemed thin at the time - but this "problem" seems to be fixing itself with each passing day.

I do have a hydrometer, but have no idea how to use it at this time. What little I've read indicated at the time that you would lose some beer, and with a 1-gallon batch, that's a scary thought. My plan was to follow the directions as closely as possible, along with any "best practices" that I pick up along the way in order to increase efficiency, achieve better results etc. I might try experimenting with the hydrometer in future brews in order to get a better handle on this. Regarding the alcohol content, I don't know for sure. It was definitely present, and seemed "stronger" and "warmer" than the production beers that I am familiar with, but beyond that, I don't know.

Thanks to all - please keep the comments, replies etc. coming.

Another option that I just thought of -

I have a 6.5-quart enamled cast-iron Dutch oven. Since it's just a one-gallon batch, this might work well for the mash, as it will hold the temperature very well. I can switch to my thinner 8-quart stainless-steel stock pot for boiling.

I might try this next time and see how it goes....

Another option that I just thought of -

I have a 6.5-quart enamled cast-iron Dutch oven. Since it's just a one-gallon batch, this might work well for the mash, as it will hold the temperature very well. I can switch to my thinner 8-quart stainless-steel stock pot for boiling.

I might try this next time and see how it goes....

Especially if you preheat the Dutch oven. But be careful about going too high because it would be slow to cool down.

You've mentioned the warm/hot alcohol character a few times now. That is usually the result of fermenting too warm. I'm not sure what you are using for temperature control but that is the first place to look for improvement. For ale you want the wort to be around 64 degrees f when you pitch the yeast. Maintain that temp for the first three to five days then you can bring it up to 68f or so to finish out. Sounds like your first batch was pretty successful overall though. Nice labels.

Well, everyone - after a few additional weeks of "shelf conditioning," I'm happy to report that this beer is even better than ever - a true success, I believe. The flavours seemed "richer" (this is not the right word, but the best one that I have) and the head was much creamier. There was still a bit too much head, as has been described on this thread, but over-all it was a very, very good beer. I have three bottles left, and plan to space them out over a few weeks in order to see how they develop - needless to say, I will be brewing this variety again for next winter - it really is an outstanding beer.

@morticiaixavier - I believe that I may have been using a poor choice of words when I described the "warm/hot alcohol character." My intent with that description was to express that I could definitely detect the alcohol presence, but it certainly did not seem like a "flaw" in the beer. There was nothing over-bearing about it and indeed, it seemed to blend perfectly into the over-all profile for a smooth and easy-drinking beer, which surprised me considering the stated alcohol content. I really liked it.

As you may recall from my posting above, I handed out a couple of bottles of this Chocolate Maple Porter to co-workers. The first was enjoyed quite some time ago; the second one was cracked open this past Friday evening:

ChocolateMaplePorter-8.jpg

As you can see, the slight carbonation issue is still present. This will (hopefully) be a situation taht will not be repeated in future brews, as I will use 2 tablesppons of honey/maple syrup/whatever is called for, rather than 3.

In spite of the carbonation issue, however, I am happy to report that this porter was indeed pronounced very good, with great flavour - quite a compliment, since the person who sampled it is a home brewer himself.

Success!

A little over two years after brewing this, my first beer, I'll be brewing it again, probably this weekend.

We'll see what (if anything!) I've learned in the time between....

Well, why wait until the weekend, when you can do it in the middle of the night on a worknight? :mug:

I'm into the boil now, and this beer smells just as wonderful as it did the first time I brewed it.

Things have gone relatively well so far; the mash and sparge seemed pretty normal, and the grains are producing some roasty, toasty, chocolaty goodness. This beer uses American 2-Row Malt, Chocolate Malt, Caramel 15 Malt and Black Patent Malt; the result is really quite nice.

The thing I like most about this recipe is the way that the malts and the Fuggle Hops play together - the aroma is heavenly, and jsut as I remember it.

The recipe advises the use of Nottingham yeast, so that is what I am using this time, instead of the generic yeast provided by Broooklyn Brew Shop.

Plugging the recipe into Brewer's Friend, here are the stats that I get:

OG - 1.062
FG - 1.013
ABV - 6.4%
IBU - 30.10
SRM - 78.80

These numbers match the style of a robust porter pretty well, except for the colour, which is a bit darker; no worries, I colour outside the lines anyway.... ;)

I expect this brew to go well, and am looking forward to comparing the final product with my first efforts at brewing.

More as it happens, etc. &c....

Ron

The rest of the brew went very well; I really didn't have any troubles worth noting, and my wort appears to be happily fermenting in good order.

One thing that looks evident is that this second beer is going to probably be much "clearer" than my first one was. The first one was opaque, cloudy, and - for lack of a better word - "muddy. It tasted great, but appearance is of course also important. With last night's brew, I got a good hot break, a good cold break, and was able to do some better filtering between the boil kettle and the fermenter.

Another major difference between the last brew and this one is that I am using Nottingham, rather than the "generic" yeast that comes with the pre-packaged Brooklyn Brew Shop mixes. There's nothing wrong with the "stock" yeast ((I think it is similar to S05, but am not totally sure), but I am looking forward to seeing how Nottingham affects this beer; besides, that is the recommended yeast by Brooklyn Brew Shop, so they must have chosen it for a reason.

As I noted above, fermentation looked to be getting a decent start this morning - we'll see how things turn out.

More as it happens, etc. &c....

Ron

Back