Brooklyn Brew Shop's Chocolate Maple Porter - Tips and Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Updated label for this beer:

Chocolate%20Maple%20Porter%20Label%20Small.jpg

Long story, but I bottled this tonight (8 February 2017). I had put it in to cold crash right before New Year's, and it froze in my mini fridge. It eventually thawed, and I was finally able to bottle it this evening.

Note to self: I used the "B" caps for this batch.

Due to the unintended extended time cold-crashing, and the fact that it ended up being frozen for a time, I thought it might be a good idea to add just a bit of yeast when bottling. I mixed a half-packet of a generic brewing yeast in a bottle of bottled water, then added a couple of tablespoons of the result to the (1-gallon) batch in the bottling bucket. I have no idea if this was a good or bad idea; successful or unsuccessful; necessary or unnecessary, but we'll find out in a couple of weeks, I guess.

For priming sugar, I used just a hair less than 2 tablespoons of maple syrup; this has worked quite well in the past, and I expect it to be great for this porter.

I was able to get 9 bottles from this batch. I had just enough left over for a small sample, and it was very interesting. The colour was an incredible, deep brown that was like really nicely-brewed coffee; it was quite clear - even though it was dark - due to the extended cold crashing. The roasty, dark chocolate malts came though nicely, and there was an interesting smoothness, perhaps from the maple syrup, and maybe a hint of sweetness, but that might have been from the priming sugar. The beer itself had an interesting viscosity to it, almost as if it was thicker than it actually was. It also smelled great, with the dark malts and the Fuggle hops being a really nice pair, as always.

Once this beer bottles and conditions, I am guessing that it will be really nice, and I'm looking forward to seeing if my "skills" have improved since my first batch.

It's definitely worth trying, Tony - if I remember correctly, you have the recipe, so give it a shot, while it is still winter out there!

I brewed this kit awhile ago when I was first starting out. It came out great. I did add an ounce of cocoa nibs soaked in rum to secondary. Saved a bottle and drank a year later and it was still really good. I now do five gallon and have been thinking of doing a big batch of this to keg and keep on tap.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1487007683.648178.jpg

This second batch turned out pretty well. Everything about it seemed just right, and I really liked it.

I'll try to get a better description next time - but, as they say, a picture is worth a few more words:

Chocolate%20Maple%20Porter%20-%2014MAR17.jpg

Here's a photo from 22 April 2017:

Chocolate%20Maple%20Porter%20-%2022APR17.jpg

Very good-tasting, like a true porter; the chocolate came through nicely, and there was a slight hint of maple smoothing things out in a very nice way. This porter has a "viscosity" to it that makes it almost cling to the glass -I think they call it "having legs" in the wine world, but am not sure if that would be the same for beer.

In all, I am very satisfied with this...it could easily be my "go-to" porter!

Back