Bristol Brewing Co. Compass IPA - help me clone it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love this beer!

http://www.bristolbrewing.com/our_beers.asp?brs_id=3

Here's what I'm thinking...

12lbs 2-row
1lb 60L (yes, that's a lot for an IPA, but look at the color...)

1.5 oz Chinook @ 60
1.5 oz Columbus @ 10
1.5 oz Cascase @ 5
2 oz Cascade dry (7 days)

WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 or US-05

Without access to much software I'm looking for:

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.014
ABV: 6.7%
IBU: 54

Thoughts?

I love this beer!

http://www.bristolbrewing.com/our_beers.asp?brs_id=3

Here's what I'm thinking...

12lbs 2-row
1lb 60L (yes, that's a lot for an IPA, but look at the color...)

1.5 oz Chinook @ 60
1.5 oz Columbus @ 10
1.5 oz Cascase @ 5
2 oz Cascade dry (7 days)

WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 or US-05

Without access to much software I'm looking for:

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.014
ABV: 6.7%
IBU: 54

Thoughts?

Beersmith puts it at (75% efficiency):

1.071 OG
81 IBU (avg. aa)
10.3 color

Beersmith puts it at (75% efficiency):

1.071 OG
81 IBU (avg. aa)
10.3 color

Thanks!

The crappy on-line program I used put the IBUs at ~55...

Probably should back that Chinook down to 1oz. Although, at 6.7%, 81 IBUs would be more in the appropriate IPA BU:GU ranged than at 55, eh?

Thanks!

The crappy on-line program I used put the IBUs at ~55...

Probably should back that Chinook down to 1oz. Although, at 6.7%, 81 IBUs would be more in the appropriate IPA BU:GU ranged than at 55, eh?

I think it would balance the malt nicely. Maybe a little bit high. I've never used 8% crystal in a grist before though.

I love this beer, too! I live right next to them, so I get instant access to their limited-time selections, like the Ventucci Pumpkin Ale (the best pumpkin ale I've ever had). Have you visited them before?

Anyone have any luck brewing this? I emailed the brewer, the percentages and yeast are "secrets"...hehe. I'm guessing that recipe earlier in the thread is really close...there is a ton of crystal in this. It's got a lot of residual sweetness. And I'm sure it's 1056.

I did make this...

I can't compare it to Compass, as I haven't had any since December and they don't distribute to Arizona. Next time I'm in CO, I'll grab a couple 12ers, make this again, and compare...

It did score a 38/39 at the 2011 AZ Homebrew Competition; with both judges commenting on it being a very good IPA to style...

Any updates to the fidelity of this clone?

I spent 25% of my life in the Springs over the last 4 years. Bristol is my favorite local brewery.

I'm using brewtarget to input everything... what is this 60L

There are a bunch of grains with 60L on it in the database. If someone could help narrow it down, I've been looking for a good IPA to brew.

Back