Brining Turkey In Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJvermonster

Reaction score
Hi all,
The father in law has asked to use my practically brand new 10 gal stainless steel brew pot to brine the TG turkey.

I'm hesitant. Will that have any future affect on the taste of my beers going forward??

Cheers!

I' d buy him A 5 gal bucket. I'm guessing... A good wash and you're good to go. Still, 10 gal pot is huge for a turkey. I have a 20 pounder brining in a 3 1/2 gal bucket. How much do you love your fil?

He's a good egg. I tried to pawn my 5 gal pot on him and he said he needed the 10.... I don't know what he is planning to do with it? Unless he has a 30 lb turkey for the 9 of us? (Not likely).
Hopefully a good wash will take care of it? Suould I soak overnight with some PBW or anything?

You're fine. I'll be doing the same in my new brew kettle, even using the ferm fridge to keep it cool. Soap and water and good to go.

LOL! If you know what's good for you, let "Dad" have at it ;)

It won't be a problem, just clean the heck out of it afterwards...

Cheers!

Get a Homer bucket from Home Depot for >$5. That'd be better than fretting or cleaning in my opinion.

Does it have weldless fittings? The idea of turkey juice marinating my orings would give me bad dreams. It will probably be fine but I'd consider mentioning the art of dry brining before he starts eyeballing your other equipment. :D

Does it have weldless fittings? The idea of turkey juice marinating my orings would give me bad dreams. It will probably be fine but I'd consider mentioning the art of dry brining before he starts eyeballing your other equipment. :D

Put in new o-rings after. They're cheap.

Homer buckets are not food safe. Stainless is, and will not absorb anything. Fittings are a concern, so just like you do with brewing, disassemble and wash.

While I can't imagine it would be a problem, provided you clean it well, I'd never allow it. My brewing equipment is for brewing, nothing else.

The boil kettle I started out with was aluminum and I had fried countless turkeys in it. Cleaned really well I never noticed anything turkey or oil in my batches. Surely using to brine in wouldn't cause any issues a good cleaning wouldn't take care of.

Sent from somewhere using Home Brew

I use an old round beverage cooler that used to be my mash tun to brine turkey or anything else I'm deep frying. Add a little ice and it keeps everything in the right temperature range, so if anyone croaks after dinner it will be heart disease not food poisoning.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There's a recipe floating around somewhere for Cock Ale. Something to do with how proteins helped fermentation back in the day, I think. Sounds like a true T-Giving beer!

Back