Briess Munich Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgo737

Reaction score
So I wanted to buy some Munich malt and was looking at Briess and noticed they have 2 types each of Munich 10L and 20L, one is a named variety and the other just "Munich". Anyone ever use their Bonlander 10L? Thoughts on the Bonlander vs generic 10L?

10L
1. Bonlander Munich Malt 10L
DP 40. 2-Row Munich-style malt. This European-style malt is a full, rich-flavored malt for a clean, malty flavor.
2. Munich Malt 10L
DP 30. Munich-style malt that contributes a very robust, malty flavor when used at 5-15%. Well suited for contributing additional malty flavor in all beer styles.

20L
1. Aromatic (Munich) Malt 20L
DP 40. 2-Row Munich-style malt. This European-style malt is a darker Munich-style malt that develops a very clean, intensely malty flavor. .
2. Munich Malt 20L
DP 20. Munich-style malt that contributes intensely malty flavor and aroma to beers, while adding amber hues. Well suited for contributing additional malty flavor plus warm color in all beer styles.

Thanks...

And now almost 6 months later...

I'd like to hear about people's experience with Briess Munich. Particularly the 20L, which seems crazy dark for a malt style that is typically considered suitable for being the predominant, if not only, malt in a grain bill. I've used it a couple times (Saison and an Amer. Wheat) and both times I've been a little turned off with the beers as they finish on the palate.

But my research was hardly controlled. Both recipes involved some other experimentation (and one a questionable fermentation) so I don't know if it is the Munich 20L that disturbs me, or some other factor.

Has anybody used it at a high proportion in their grain bill to isolate its flavor contribution? Any definitive opinions out there?

Oh, come on. Munich 20L. What gives. Anyone?

Four months late, but it is important for people to know to stay the **** away from this malt. Worst crap I ever put in a beer. Maybe 1-5% of this stuff would be acceptable in a bock, but anything more than that is an invitation for a disgustingly sweet, caramelly-melanoidin train wreck of a beer. I don't know how people can say to use this stuff for up to 80% of your grainbill. Please, for the sake of your beer, don't use this crap. I ruined my dunkel with 15% of this stuff (some ******* at the LHBS mislabeled this stuff as Weyermann munich II) and now I got a damn near undrinkable sweet mess currently lagering. :mad:

Four months late, but it is important for people to know to stay the **** away from this malt. Worst crap I ever put in a beer. Maybe 1-5% of this stuff would be acceptable in a bock, but anything more than that is an invitation for a disgustingly sweet, caramelly-melanoidin train wreck of a beer. I don't know how people can say to use this stuff for up to 80% of your grainbill. Please, for the sake of your beer, don't use this crap. I ruined my dunkel with 15% of this stuff (some ******* at the LHBS mislabeled this stuff as Weyermann munich II) and now I got a damn near undrinkable sweet mess currently lagering. :mad:

It is Briess, but if people want good Munich malt you need to be getting it from a German Malting company.

Oddly enough, I just bought a sack of German Munich. Last winter, I made a Munich/Centennial smash. It was just "eh" after three weeks in the bottle by at five weeks plus, it was AMAZING. The flavor from Munich is unique - grainy, nutty, etc. just bought more to do it again. I'd highly recommend a smash with Munich.

Weyermann Munich and similar German malts are great stuff. Their Munich II is around 10L. It is the Breiss crap that I hate so much. It's basically a light crystal, rather than a base malt.

Latest posts

Back