Brewtarget 1.1 - Free open source brewing software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought you might be interested in this rocketman768 if you had not already seen it.
http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=76125

I did a quick google search for the video demo before I tried to use it to brew and found that review. I read the manual, but wanted to refresh and see if I had missed any tips/tricks in the video.
I have been playing with it (mac OS 10.6.1) for a week and really like it. I had tried a demo version of Beersmith, but do not need 90% of the features. The few things I would add seem to be covered by other in this thread. Keep up the great work.

Open source and beer what could be better.

Just saw this thread today and was very intrigued so I played with my last recipe. I am very impressed with the software so far and am highly pleased to have good brewing software in Linux.

By the way, I encourage any of you with programming experience to check out the source code and make a change that you want. If you make a cool feature, tell me about it so I can include it.

If you're using linux or mac or similar environment, you can check it out by installing subversion and using the command "svn co https://brewtarget.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/brewtarget brewtarget"

For windows or anything else, go here and click "download gnu tarball" which you can extract the files from by using 7zip or some other archive tool.

If I end up with enough free time I'll try to check out the code, I have some experience but not much of it involves Qt.

I tried building this with ubuntu 9.04 amd 64 and I get the qt 4.5 error. I tried adding all the 4.5 developer stuff in synaptic and then later tried installing the qt sdk kit off of their website. Every time I try to build it keeps wanting to use the older 3.3 version. I'd love to try your program, but I'm not sure how to fix the problem.

I tried building this with ubuntu 9.04 amd 64 and I get the qt 4.5 error. I tried adding all the 4.5 developer stuff in synaptic and then later tried installing the qt sdk kit off of their website. Every time I try to build it keeps wanting to use the older 3.3 version. I'd love to try your program, but I'm not sure how to fix the problem.

http://jpnurmi.kapsi.fi/blog/2008/03/16/how-to-switch-qt-version-in-ubuntu/
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/install-x11.html

I would bet your qmake is pointing to the 3.3 version that's still installed on your system. An "ls -l /usr/bin/qmake" (or wherever you qmake is) will show you where the link points. Ubuntu uses its stupid "alternatives" system, so when you have multiple versions of some software installed, you still have to tell it which one you actually want to use (see the first link). I'll bet that fixes it.

I just used this to create a recipe for a Vanilla Porter. However after saving and exiting when I go back in the recipe is gone. On exit it asked if I wanted to save so I clicked yes.

Any idea why it is doing this? I am running from the .deb found on sourceforge in ubuntu.

Hm, I bet for some reason you don't have permissions to write to /usr/share/brewtarget/recipes.xml or something. I think "sudo chmod a+rw /usr/share/brewtarget/*.xml" should fix it. Sorry man!

anyone having issues installing on snow leopard for mac? qt framework 4.5.3 fails when I try to install. I wonder if it's a rosetta issue? I don't think I installed that when I put snow leopard on, but I was under the impression it would install if I needed it for anything.

tried 4.6 and it gives me the same error on install, at the validating packages part. multiple downloads..same result. I'm stumped..never run into this issue before trying to install something.

during the install, it hangs on validating packages. It doesn't say anything specific as far as error codes. I dug a little deeper on the qt site and it seems to be a bug with installing the framework for the first time on SL (updating an existing package shouldn't give any problems). here's what they say:

Installing on Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard"

Performing a new install of the Qt 4.6 beta on Snow Leopard triggers a bug in the installer that causes the install to fail. Updating an existing Qt installation works fine.
There are two workarounds, either disable spotlight for the target drive during the install, or do a custom install where you deselect documentation and examples. Run the installer again as a full install to get the documentation and examples installed.

I did the custom install and it was able to finish. Brewtarget is able to launch after this, so it seems like it did the trick. I'll play around with the software later.

Okay, I used alien to convert the .deb file to rpm and then used the rpm to install the program, but I can't run it. a gray window shows up and immediately disappears and then I get this message:
brewtarget: symbol lookup error: brewtarget: undefined symbol: _ZN8QPainter9drawImageERK7QPointFRK6QImage

Any ideas?

I have a few questions and requests.

1. Could there be a easier/better way to back up everything? Like instead of just a export recipe, a back up all?

2. A calendar would be most excellent!

3. I know that the software adjusts weight and volumes and such, but can you have maybe a feature like Beersmith has where it will let you enter in a amount and it gives you want the amount is in other weight forms. (ie. 1 lb = 16oz)

Do you have any updated versions that I could check out? I currently have 1.1 and saw that if you were pm'ed you might have an updated version. Do you?

Do you plan on updating any fermentables, yeasts, hops....if any?

1. Could there be a easier/better way to back up everything? Like instead of just a export recipe, a back up all?

Sure. In the meantime, you can just copy recipes.xml, database.xml etc. to a backup directory if you like.

2. A calendar would be most excellent!

I agree. What kinds of specific features would you like?

3. I know that the software adjusts weight and volumes and such, but can you have maybe a feature like Beersmith has where it will let you enter in a amount and it gives you want the amount is in other weight forms. (ie. 1 lb = 16oz)

Like a small tool that does the conversion? Sure.

Do you have any updated versions that I could check out? I currently have 1.1 and saw that if you were pm'ed you might have an updated version. Do you?

Yes. PM me your email and which OS you have (mac, win, unix-ish).

Do you plan on updating any fermentables, yeasts, hops....if any?

Making those ingredient lists was just about the most painful thing I did for this project. What I would really REALLY like is if someone out there has added/updated to their list of ingredients, let me know and send me your database.xml file so that they will appear in the next version.

Sure. In the meantime, you can just copy recipes.xml, database.xml etc. to a backup directory if you like.

Thanks. That helps. I almost lost all my hard work earlier.

I agree. What kinds of specific features would you like?

Just a simple calendar that lets you insert primary time, secondary, aging. I guess similar to Beersmith. I love your simple easy to use software but wish it had a few things like Beersmith does. If it had these few things, It would be all I use.....

Like a small tool that does the conversion? Sure.

Exactly. Couldn't think of the word conversion when I was typing this.....

Excellent job!!!

Rocketman,

I hope I did not miss the answer to my question, but does this work with extract brewing (+/-) steeping/partial mashing?

This is great programming! I just would like to try it with extract brewing for now, but I wasn't sure if it is setup to work that way since there is so much in it for AG brewers.

The only other thing I would like is an additional column for the cost of the ingredient: $/lb for grain, $ for packet of yeast, $/oz of hop, etc. Using the total $, batch volume, and set 12 oz bottling, you could calculate the $/bottle (or keg for that matter). That is one of the most asked questions sometimes: How much does it cost you to brew a batch???

Rocketman,

I hope I did not miss the answer to my question, but does this work with extract brewing (+/-) steeping/partial mashing?

This is great programming! I just would like to try it with extract brewing for now, but I wasn't sure if it is setup to work that way since there is so much in it for AG brewers.

The only other thing I would like is an additional column for the cost of the ingredient: $/lb for grain, $ for packet of yeast, $/oz of hop, etc. Using the total $, batch volume, and set 12 oz bottling, you could calculate the $/bottle (or keg for that matter). That is one of the most asked questions sometimes: How much does it cost you to brew a batch???

You sure can do extract brewing! There are plenty of extract fermentables listed and you can use the mash section to create a partial mash set of directions!

Cool. I hope you're not spending too much money to annoy any possible SWMBOs :)

Wow, I just got some major contributions to Brewtarget...

First was someone who implemented UK imperial units, so I'm sure UK brewers will be very pleased in the upcoming version. Also, got a promise from someone to make a very comprehensive ingredient selection.

Now THIS is what I meant by this is YOUR software :rockin:

This is great! Like someone mentioned before, open source and homebrewing were made for each other.

Would an online repository of recipes/ingredients accessible from the program itself be possible? I know that is kind of outside the sphere of software programming but I think it could be a valuable addition to this project.

Also, where can we donate $$$ to support?

This is great! Like someone mentioned before, open source and homebrewing were made for each other.

Would an online repository of recipes/ingredients accessible from the program itself be possible? I know that is kind of outside the sphere of software programming but I think it could be a valuable addition to this project.

Also, where can we donate $$$ to support?

Actually, I've been thinking of a website where people can submit and search for ingredients.

As for donations, (thanks for asking!) there's a button in the top right corner of the main page
https://sourceforge.net/projects/brewtarget/
...I could also use an upgraded membership :)

Phillip, this is Randy. Just gave it a trial run and here is my initial feedback from a user POV after entering my next batch in both all-grain and extract versions:

- Pretty easy and straightforward to get initially set-up, but it would be nice to have a quick-help menu on some of the variables in the equipment set-up mode to describe what it is, what effect it has, and how to measure. This will help people quickly fine-tune the SW for their set-up

- Standard <-> Metric is a pain in the ***. All the inventory and ingredients seem to be in default metric units and clicking on the standard conversion basically converts all those measures from their default to standard units. hops are in 0.353 oz instead of 1 oz increments (or quarter oz) and grains and extract are in 2.2xxx lbs after being converted from original kgs. More of an initial annoyance than a true problem once I realized what was happening. Additionally, when in recipe editing screen if I click int he box to change the quantity it defaults to metric units for the entry of the data and then converts to standard for the purposes of displaying the value I just entered.

- Found it very easy to delete information from the ingredient database as the cells containing name and information were very easy to select and overwrite when all I was trying to do was grab that ingredient to use it in my recipe

- Not obvious (if it is indeed supported) for how to edit an existing recipe but save it with a different name so I don't overwrite the original. Useful in maintaining both All-grain and Extract versions or modifying an existing version for some slight difference in ingredients.

- would be nice if the OG, FG, ABV, bitterness, color, etc also displayed the typical style range to see where you fit into the BJCP guidelines without having to go to the style directory

- Hosting a repository of ingredients somewhere would be great. Might be difficult to control people from modifying things willy-nilly if it were used as a dynamic database by the users. If they could select a list of ingredients from the server and import just those "new" ingredients they would like to use then it would prevent outside folks from modifying their recipes. Also, if it is as simple as a delimited text file, you may be able to contact the various major malt, extract, and yeast vendors and show them how to import their data so brewers can more easily access it. Might be a useful marketing tool for them to make it readily available to users and would allow them to update when seasonal, special offerings, or year-to-year variations occur. Not sure they would do it, but might be worth asking to save yourself time if the system is easy enough to use.

- Have not tried Brewday mode yet, but might give it a run when I brew later this week.

Oh, and maybe next time we can host a meeting at my house and tear down that temp chamber you have since I have the full allotment of tools required!

PS. I think you can convert an old cell phone charger to run that CPU fan in your temp chamber since it is just a DC fan. Would keep you from having to run that 300W power supply.

Back