Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brewersfriend-newsletter-2227.jpg

If you've been keeping up with the development of Brewer's Friend you know we've made some changes! We've really gone all out in listening to the needs of the brewing world and we're happy to announce the release of two new apps.
First is the Brewer's Friend Premium. This allows you unlimited recipe uploads and the ability to sync up with the cloud giving you unlimited access to the thousands and thousands of recipes that have been developed on Brewer's Friend over the years.
brewers-friend-1-2228.jpg

Premium Version

The next is the free version. This is a full version of our Brewer's Friend App but limited to two recipes, and two brews without the ability to sync. If you've sampled a multitude of brewing software you know not all are created equal. We think we're the best and this our chance to show you that without risking your precious brewing budget!
bf-3-2226.jpg

Free Version

bf-2-2225.jpg

Premium Version
Both apps feature:
  • Complete recipe designer with pre-populated list of grains, hops, and yeast. Ability to add your own custom grains.
  • Fully supports metric units!
  • Work in Specific Gravity or Plato.
  • OG/FG/IBU/SRM, yeast attenuation automatically calculated.
  • Supports All Grain, Extract, Partial Mash, BIAB.
  • Tells if recipe matches style.
  • Pick the equations and units you prefer.
  • No Chill Extended Hop Boil Time Supported.
  • Target 'to the fermentor' or 'to the kettle' batch sizes.
  • Journal for tracking events like gravity readings, volume collected, dates, and tasting notes.
  • Tracks what phase the brew is in.
  • Brew timer feature supported.
  • Supports hop stands (whirlpool and hopback hop uses), recipe CO2 level field, milliliters as unit in other ingredients section.
  • Stand alone calculators.
We seek to provide you the brewer with every tool you need to make the best beer you can at home, so please feel free to contact us at [email protected] with your thoughts on the changes and features.
From everyone at Brewer's Friend we thank you helping us make us one of the greatest resources for Brewers online!
brewers-friend-1-2228.jpg

Are you only able to add grains and not any other ingredient? Is there a list of other ingredients, such as spices, fruit, etc.? Shouldn't FG be an input rather than calculated automatically (or both, ideally)?

I'd buy a copy if you included all of the calculators that are on the Brewer'sFriend web site (in an organized and easy to use fashion).

I really like brewers friend but I just can't justify the subscription like fee.

@TheZymurgist, yes you're able to add other ingredients, but there isn't currently an existing list of options. Regarding FG, we structure our calculations such that FG is calculated automatically when constructing a recipe, but then when you create a brew session (when you're actually brewing the recipe), you're able to record the actual values. It's a little different than some other solutions, but we like it because you can brew the same recipe repeatedly and get different results.

@disney7, hear you loud and clear - we've added quite a few of the calculators in the app and hope to get to include all of them in the future. There are quite a few, so we started with the most popular ones.
@SatanPrinceOfDarkness, yes there are two different services offered by BrewersFriend - one is the cloud storage and desktop web-based recipe creation, etc. which is supported by a yearly fee. Then the mobile apps are supported by one-time fees. Sorry for the confusion on that!

BrewersFriend - I am a Batch Sparger, the one issue i have with "another brew app" is that i cant see/get a calc of my first runnings and sparge gravities. I think if you could include an "estimated OG" of runnings this would help me out.
Not sure how easy that would be.. !!! Scott

if I'm currently using the free 'trial' version of the desktop app and I buy the mobile app version for my phone, will the two apps sync?

Latest posts

Back