Brews FG always 1.02 wtf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHeads

Reaction score
The last two extract batches I did the final gravity ended up at 1.02

First batch I could understand, I rushed and it's was a late night brew. (12am-6am)

Second batch (Northern Brewer's Sweet Stout) I took my time... I made sure everything was right. I did a yeast starter... Fermentation temperature was controlled. Could be I added some light dme to boost the AbV

OG was about 1.06 ending was 1.017-1.02

Thoughts?

Don't know about your first batch, but your second batch had an apparent attenuation of about 71%. A touch under the norm, but ok. My guess is that you might have under-pitched a bit (a common problem with yeast starters - you rarely know your actual pitch rate) and your OG was kinda high, yielding somewhat under-attenuated beer. In the future you might want to use a pitch-rate calculator (mrmalty.com).

One other thought is the temperature control: Around this time of year, the temperature at night often drops below fermentation temp. If your controlled environment consists of a temp-regulated fridge, it may require a way to heat the beer as well. Low temp=low yeast propagation = low attenuation.

The good news is that it's a sweet stout, so the residual sweetness will probably only do it good. :)

1.020 isn't that bad for a sweet stout. If your kit said FG 1.017-.020 you're right in the ballpark.
Are you oxygenating the wort before you pitch? That can make a big difference in your yeast getting a good start and help increase attenuation.

What yeast? Did you add any lactose?

Sweet stout is supposed to finish sweet. Some yeasts only ferment about 67-70%, and any lactose is unfermentable and will just increase the FG.

There may be nothing wrong.

Adding additional malt fermentables will increase the FG as well as the OG.

If I've been calculating things correctly, 1 lb of lactose will add 7 points per 5 gallons, to the FG. As others have stated, your sweet stout is probably in the right place.

Thanks all for your replies. Makes me feel better about the beer.

Yes there was lactose in it so that could be it. I know it's not fermentable ... I guess it's a sweet stout shouldn't be a high abv.

I used Nottingham ale yeast which came in the kit but I got the white labs version instead. Might have under pitched... First yeast starter ever. Also didn't have a stir plate.

Only oxygen introduced was in the transfer... I need to get a oxygen stone and try that in the future. Splashing isn't enough.

Wow you're definitely right about the temp control... I dont have a way to heat it. Normally that would be my last concern in Arizona but this winter has been cold. Definitely could have dropped to Lower 60's without knowing.

If 1.02 is common and fine for this beer then coolio. Makes me feel better...

I know my mistakes and I know the things I need to invest in.

Thanks guys. Homebrew Talk is alway there with the answers support and help.

If I remember right this happens alot with extract beers.

Yes it's a much bigger problem with extracts. I think one strategy to combat is to pitch a lot of yeast, then create good conditions for fermentation (O2 as best you can, etc.).

osagedr said:
Yes it's a much bigger problem with extracts. I think one strategy to combat is to pitch a lot of yeast, then create good conditions for fermentation (O2 as best you can, etc.).

Ok sounds good. Pitch alot of yeast (yeast start with stir plate) and O2 the sh** out of it lol. Gonna get a heater too to keep it at perfect temp

Latest posts

Back