BrewNanny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's worse is the need for different adapters for different fermentors, at $35 a piece. A $35 drilled stopper. Really?

I'm an engineer and toys are cool. But this seems like technology for technology's sake, not to make better beer. How is it going to change your process or product? For a 10bbl+ system maybe, but for a hobbyist I can't see the cost justification at all.

co2-presure-dial-200x400.png

Oh man, all this time I've been like "if only I could measure illuminance my beer would taste so much better."

If your spending $500.00 on this, I doubt your still using $10 plastic buckets, or glass carboys, so the "illuminance" feature is not needed since light doesn't penetrate Stainless. And if you spend 5 bills on this before a stainless conical.....well, you know what Barnum said....

I bought one of these cool looking toys back in November when you could purchase them for half-price. I think it would have been a fun tool for $250 if it were not a scam. I was promised my Brewnanny at the beginning of December but it never arrived. My emails have not been returned and to the best of my knowledge, no one has received one. He continues to advertise and if you write him asking when you will receive your unit, you are given a date one month away. Total rip off.

Aside from the fact that some folks, like dnitty, are saying they are being ripped off, for the price of this thing you could get a stainless steel mash tun and brewpot all in one. Or I can get a stainless steel conical fermenter and still have most of my cash left over. Or I could buy a 5 gallon kegging system, brand new for roughly half the price. Or four four or five times the cost I could get one of those fancy recirculating mash tuns. Not worth the price.

I only feel ripped off because I haven't received a working product. If this thing works as promised, it would be worth the $250 to ME, perhaps not you. I'm an engineer and I love geeky stuff like this. There are certainly more essential gear like the items you mention. But I'd really love to be able to monitor fermentation status without having to open the fermentor to get a sample so I can take SG readings.

I only feel ripped off because I haven't received a working product. If this thing works as promised, it would be worth the $250 to ME, perhaps not you. I'm an engineer and I love geeky stuff like this. There are certainly more essential gear like the items you mention. But I'd really love to be able to monitor fermentation status without having to open the fermentor to get a sample so I can take SG readings.

If you have an extra $250 lying around I can sell you one of these so you can take resistance checks on your wort during the primary fermentation! Sorry but the leads will cost extra.
shopping

No, I don't have an extra $250 lying around; I spent it back in November, remember? I've got several multimeters but thank you for the suggestion.

There's also this: https://www.thebeerbug.com/

But a quick check onto their forum and reading about bugs, fixes, workarounds, etcetera, in addition to the comments gives me pause.

Also, with beer, sometimes ignorance is bliss. These appear to be the technological opposite of RDWHAHB. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to check the temperature reading of the dollar store thermometer in my fermenting chamber and call it a night.

There's also this: https://www.thebeerbug.com/

But a quick check onto their forum and reading about bugs, fixes, workarounds, etcetera, in addition to the comments gives me pause.

Also, with beer, sometimes ignorance is bliss. These appear to be the technological opposite of RDWHAHB. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to check the temperature reading of the dollar store thermometer in my fermenting chamber and call it a night.

Yeah but the beer bug can tweet your gravity readings. How are your gravity readings supposed to trend on twitter if you do things the grandpa way?

I would be very wary. I ordered in October last year and have only had promises, last was in December - that shipping was imminent... Still waiting and so is everyone else. It is not part of the kickstarter, so none of that protection. Was really looking forward to it, but now my enthusiasm is waning :mad:

This is a scam. I ignored all the warning signs and did it anyway. I am a techno-geek and thought it was just too cool. After I signed up to his "let me know when it's available link" I get an email that someone canceled and I can have theirs for the same $250 intro price. I ask questions, look at the website and google for reviews (there are none). I buy it anyway. I know.

After a week I sent an email and am told that it's just been completed and in testing. All follow ups after that were ignored. Just filed my claim with Paypal.

If you register to see the forum, there have not been any posts in months, except for one asking for a refund, and that one's probably gone by now.
Anyway, in case anyone else wanted to consider, just wanted to put out there.

Back