BrewNanny - What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a backer of this as well and I do not believe there is any actual product. He did however trademark the Brewnanny name and logo.

I am going to start my Kickstarter - Brewscammy. Who wants to back it :tank:

Let us all know when you have your mock up photo's and sales info for the "BS" (aka BrewScammy) on Scamstarter.com... Make sure to include photo's of non-milfs building them in the corner of your garage.

This guy did it all wrong. He promised a product and delivered nothing.. so the CC companies can get involved. Make sure the BrewScammy sends out SOME product that resembles the promised one.. with a thermometer in it or something. Then you can say people got the product, and since it is a a startup, it is to be expected for products to fall short of initial expectations.

Another comprehensive update coming this weekend from BN's inventor... Stay tuned...

What will he say?

1. The dog ate the patented design plans, he's been waiting this whole time for the plans to pass thru it's system
2. He's decided to change his name to Caitlyn...
3. All of the orders that he sent out in Oct, Nov, Dec 2014 finally came back.... someone forgot to add postage, but don't worry "we're shipping daily now!"
4. He's out of money...

Seems to me like whenever this thread picks up steam again then a week or two later there's a Kickstarter update.

Another possibility to add to my previous list: He's been working thru the 12 steps @ Scammers Anonymous...

He got to steps #8 & #9 it set him back that he can no longer finish the project.

Decided that his next update he should deal with step #10 - Continue to take personal inventory, and when we were wrong, promptly admitted that it's all a scam.

I bet its about his "investors".
My Prediction: "We have found some equity partners however we are ramping up production before shipping or selling again"
Vegas Odds:
1 to 1.50 - its a stall (gotta hedge)
50 to 1 - starting production
100 to 1 - Shipping Actual product

Got to love his update that an update is coming. This is reaching inception levels - I'm just waiting for the update that an update of an upcoming update is right around the corner.

In the mean time feel free to fund my massive hopstand project kickstarter :D

Got to love his update that an update is coming. This is reaching inception levels - I'm just waiting for the update that an update of an upcoming update is right around the corner.

In the mean time feel free to fund my massive hopstand project kickstarter :D

Done!

Man I hope you don't wuss out on this like that other guy! :mug:

So you just got into work and you get a notification that something is wrong... Than what?

Maybe the 3rd retry version BN's will start shipping in Nov, Dec, Jan of 2018. I can hear Aerosmith's "Dream On" playing in the background.

Typo at the end of his update: There is no "m" in "Can".

Man I feel bad for the guys that still have not received their money back.

He's even brewing a beer using your money, and rubbed it in your face.

I scanned the update email last night, but didn't really read it... I was expecting the wheels to fall off again like he's done before...- a rant about the backers bugging him... He's definitely using this update as a another stall tactic... Because of the his new design he's got to file " a new patent application..... More updates in the coming weeks... "

BeerBug did something similar to this (they changed the design using a different chip or something else internally), but they delivered... There needs to be a stipulation in these Kickstarter campaigns where the project creator at least pinky swears that they have thought out their processes and will stick to their original plan... Hey you find a better way to do something or a new feature? great - stay focused and finish building and shipping the original model first...then focus on improvements and create a new model.

Lyons Labs
134 MASS MoCA Way
North Adams, MA 01247

Phone: (413) 346-1110

Gary Lyons
432 Eagle Street North Adams MA 01247

I don't know if any of the information is correct. Can anyone confirm?

BeerBug did something similar to this (they changed the design using a different chip or something else internally), but they delivered... There needs to be a stipulation in these Kickstarter campaigns where the project creator at least pinky swears that they have thought out their processes and will stick to their original plan... Hey you find a better way to do something or a new feature? great - stay focused and finish building and shipping the original model first...then focus on improvements and create a new model.

This dude sounds like your typical engineer. So driven by perfection he never gets anything accomplished. But with his majestic ego he believes he can create something that is going to change the world, instead of accomplishing what is necessary to create an instant baby step improvement and necessary cash flow to grow the company over the next 2-3 years with a spectacular vision.

This guy tried to hit a 800 foot home run with this product but doesn't know how to hit singles by the shortstop. Colossal failure. No matter how "smart" you are as an engineer you have to be a business man at the end of the day as well.

Finally more and more people are piling on and asking questions about why it's taking so long... Now the brewnanny . com website is no longer working. The end should be soon...

Has anyone else looked carefully through all of his pictures on the Facebook page? It looks like he has 4 different variations of the device. The ones that are in the carboy don't even have a blow off valve or tube.

forget that they look different. I could be wrong, but we don't have a single confirmed view of it ever actually doing anything. not a single video, or even a single anecdotal story, of anyone actually seeing one in person, or seeing it doing anything. I think we actually have more footage of bigfoot than this actually doing anything.

How to get your money back from a Kickstarter Project

Step 1: Find the credit card you used for backing your Kickstarter Project... In this example we'll use the BrewNanny Project, since it's geared for homebrewers.
Step 2: Call the phone # on the back of the card. Create a dispute regarding the charge. Tell them that you never received the product and that the company will not respond to your emails, support tickets, KS comments, or Facebook replies.
Step 3: Print/Scan or create an Adobe Acrobat document of the following items to send/email to your credit card company (I also used this to create a complaint with my state attorney general regarding Fraud) :
Step 4 Include a letter with all of the documentation that includes:

- KICKSTARTER Email showing the "purchase" or backing of the project
- KICKSTARTER - BREWNANNY Project URL https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lyonslabs/brewnanny-home-brew-monitor
- BREWNANNY's own website http://www.brewnanny.com showing that they are/were also selling this product elsewhere

Timeline of events (most of the info is abbreviated from the KS page) like what I created below:
Apr. 3, 2014 Credit Card Charged by Amazon Payments / Kickstarter for 1 BrewNanny Pro (email from Kickstarter)
Jun 2014 - Original Deadline
Jun 29,2014 - Kickstarter Update - So I am planning on shipping the first units on July 17th. The projected schedule for all units is as follows:
• Early bird Pro July 17 – 21 • Early bird Base July 21 – 26 • Remaining Pro Orders July 26 – Aug 7 • Remaining Base Orders Aug 4 – Aug 15

...NO BREWNANNY

Aug.18th,2014 Kickstarter Update - Mailing List Update
Sept. 2,2014 Your BrewNanny Shipment Info and More
Our new site will not launch until September 6th. Rather than make you wait until then we are sending your shipment info here. Your BrewNanny is scheduled to be manufactured and tested on Sept 25th. Shipping can be the same day or 1-2 days later. We have had to juggle our original schedule to try and expedite manufacturing. So we will not necessarily be shipping in the order we received the pledges as originally planned. This scheme gets the entire production out in the fastest possible way and keeps the quality levels consistent with our standards. It has been a long summer here and I am sure you guys are anxious to get going with your brewing too....

...NO BREWNANNY

They began advertising full page ads in BYO and included in Zymurgy's holiday issue (jpg's attached), and selling directly on brewnanny.com... When I saw these ads I held off contacting my CC company, because it looked like this thing was a real product since they were advertising full page ads...

Oct 1,2014 - Email to Kickstarters: Kickstarter Founders Update
Well we are at the turning point. The product is done, the design is frozen, we are putting them together and they are wonderful. We have a snag though. We have been duking it out with the insurance company over our product liability policy. We will continue to manufacture and build up stock and as soon as this issue is resolved out the door they go. I need to show you, even though I have been advised not to, the finished product. We have been preparing for the next stage, after we ship and fulfill the Kickstarter Founders, which is to put these on the market. We have some super photographs and I am going to show you one of them and explain what we have done. The design now sports more metal for structural integrity and UV biocide lamps to keep the valve train clean. I have posted one of our ad photos at here for you to look at.

...NO BREWNANNY

Nov. 7,2014 - Email to Kickstarters Brewnanny is Shipping
We are out of issues, we are finishing up the products for the orders and making a minor modification to the power connector to keep the insurance guys off our backs We will being shipping the week of November 17th and will have all Kickstarter orders shipped before the end of the month. I will be giving you a full update over the weekend along with your access codes to the online ordering system. But I just wanted to let you know where we stood as soon as I knew.

...NO BREWNANNY

Nov.14,2014 - Email to Kickstarters BrewNanny Order Information and Update
Nov. 14,2014 Kickstarter Update - Final Project Update
Well we are finally here. We will be shipping in about a week and will have all orders fulfilled by the end of the month. Thank-you for your patience. The bottom of this email contains your user name and password for the brewnany.com store where you can track your orders. Please double check your order items closely, we have had to scan a lot of emails to update the information and there may be a few errors here and there. But we have time to make corrections so please take the time to make sure we have it right. Your shipping address should be listed exactly as it needs to be for your order to reach you without issue.....

...password in the email was wrong... given in lowercase...despite emailing them and never getting back to me, I ended up figuring out that the password was all uppercase... small detail, but a telling sign of things to come.

...NO BREWNANNY

Dec.4,2014 - Kickstarter Update - Delivery Status

...NO BREWNANNY

Dec.23,2014 - Kickstarter Update - Shipping Daily!

...NO BREWNANNY

Jan.23,2015 Kickstarter Update - Rant about backers pestering where their rewards are. They might as well said We don't need backers, just their money!
Feb 12, 2015 - Kickstarter Update - New Support Ticket process / new person assigned to Customer Service
Feb.16, 2015 Your BrewNanny support ticket reply was received. "ETA of shipment" (email from brewnanny.com)
A reply was posted to one of your support tickets. The content of the ticket is: "We have experienced some production problems and are behind in our shipments. We hope to have all outstanding shipments sent within 4 to 4 weeks. We will notify you as soon as we have a firm shipment date for your order.The Support Team

--- This is when I created a dispute with my CC company...

Apr 22,2015 Longwinded update on the Kickstarter page showing photos of BrewNannies being assembled and tested

...60 days later...CC company refunded my money & any interest on the purchase - since no one @ Brewnanny/Kickstarter replied to the dispute... IF anything you can use THEIR lack of communication skills to get your money back... KICKSTARTER DOES NOT HAVE "DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY" TO CREDIT CARD CHARGES and rules (when you charge a credit card you have a limited amount of time to fulfill the order)

...NO BREWNANNY

MAY 15,2015 New Update on Brewnanny.com - moving updates away from Kickstarter website...

...NO BREWNANNY

Jul 12,2015 Looking for parties to take equity stakes in Lyons Labs LLC

...NO BREWNANNY

Sept 8,2015 Comprehensive update coming this weekend.

Sept 13,2015 Long winded update...Starts out that he's brewing a Belgian Ale, watching Football on TV...He's decided to scrap his original design because it takes about 20 hrs to produce each BrewNanny (If you do the math they should have been finished a while ago), but the new version will be created under 2 hours. He won't reply to anyone commenting about where all of the original BN's that were assembled & shipped (lol) are or at least producing one that works and showing off the new design... I think he saw our posts on HBT where we discussed putting an actual glass hydrometer in a carboy with a string attached to it for retrieval...with Sea Monkeys swimming in the wort/beer...that would probably take Gary 2 hours to assemble

October 5,2015
...NO BREWNANNY

...Taking a look back in the timeline from a year ago - OCT 1,2014... "Well we are at the turning point. The product is done, the design is frozen, we are putting them together and they are wonderful"...

I guess the people still hanging on to this project with their money must still believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and Global Warming... The stars have aligned for true morons

BYO_DEC14sm.jpg

BYO_NOV14sm.jpg

Zymurgy_NOVDEC14sm.jpg

@ AF1Homebrew

That is a very well written guide you have put together. I hope everyone who has gotten scammed takes your advice.

Did the state representative say they would get back with you on what they find?

The Illinois State Attorney General couldn't get ahold of anyone @ BrewNanny/Lyons Labs... so nothing happened with that route other than documenting the transaction with them. Not sure how many other people have also tried this route.

None of the posts on FB can be shown because they were all hosted on the website, which we all know is kaput ATM.

I posted a comment on their FB page, but all comments are currently being filtered, so I have zero hope of it showing up.

So much for the transparency he mentioned months back?

Gary - Happy 1 yr Anniversary to your Kickstarter Post - "Shipping Daily".

The BrewNanny - An IoT that still doesn't exist!

Back