Think you could brew with this? Just curious.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, you can brew with it,. Whether results will be drinkable would be another question...probably depends on if you like drinking that sort of beverage... If you like regular beer, might taste like stomach acid was mixed in...but some folks like that sort of thing...{;

Yeah, you can brew with it,. Whether results will be drinkable would be another question...probably depends on if you like drinking that sort of beverage... If you like regular beer, might taste like stomach acid was mixed in...but some folks like that sort of thing...{;

So, do you think it's like one of those lactic producing yeasts? Lactic acid isn't one of the ingredients.

That would be my guess, based on description.

If you want to experiment with that sort of thing, an addition of yogurt culture at correct time in fermentation likely to produce better results than some random pet food supplement.

That would be my guess, based on description.

If you want to experiment with that sort of thing, an addition of yogurt culture at correct time in fermentation likely to produce better results than some random pet food supplement.

I've tried the yogurt thing before. It works pretty good. I just stumbled on this while I was googling for more the wild pitch yeast company, and lallemands sourvisiae, and stuff like that. Just curious about what's out there. I'd experiment with it if I could find a bottle for 10 bucks, but at 30ish, I dont know that I want to waste my money. I'll keep poking around.

So, do you think it's like one of those lactic producing yeasts? Lactic acid isn't one of the ingredients.

The fact that it's listed as Saccharomyces cerevisiae means it's not that Lachancea species that was discovered in Philly a couple of years back. I'd guess it's either one of the naturally high lactic producers like S-04 or the new Lallemand Sourvisiae - shame they don't have to declare if it's transgenic.

Making sour beer with bacteria is quite simple and provides way more flexibility.

Making sour beer with bacteria is quite simple and provides way more flexibility.

This was just more of a curiosity. I like messing around with different stuff sometimes. I actually really like the product from Wild Pitch Yeast, but shipping to WA is crazy expensive from them, so I can't really justify placing orders all the time.

I have YH72 I could mail to you ($5 shipping) if you want to try it. I don't know exactly when I can make it to the post office right now though with the virus.

It makes an interesting and tasty beer, but not as good as using bacteria in my opinion.

I have YH72 I could mail to you ($5 shipping) if you want to try it. I don't know exactly when I can make it to the post office right now though with the virus.

It makes an interesting and tasty beer, but not as good as using bacteria in my opinion.

Really, I've used it, and loved it. I'll definately take it off your hands. Just 5 bucks?

Yes, I believe that should cover shipping.

It starts up really fast after being stored in the fridge for a long time. I'll see if the same is true for room temperature storage.

Back