Brewing with sweet potato

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talker

Reaction score
I am still new at brewing any help will be appreciated.
Anyone have experience with brewing extract brews with sweet potato? any tips or comments on results?

I'm only an accidental brewer and you can read my reply to another post I made on the forum regarding my experience with sweet potatoes. I hope it helps.

The best method of using sweet potatoes is to simply use a pre-made syrup:

Sweet Potato Syrup – El Guapo Bitters (This one is blended with spices and good in cocktails.)

D'vash Organics Organic Sweet Potato Syrup, Superfood ... (grocery.com)

If you insist on making a sweet potato mash or mashing with sweet potatoes (and barley or sorghum malt, etc...) this thread may help you:

Sweet Potatoes, Amylase Enzymes, and a Lot of Interesting Possibilites | Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Last edited:
I did one last autumn, I mashed it with the rest of my grains since I do all grain, this what does is add colour and sugars, not that much flavour although if you add like a ton of it I guess it would add a lot of flavour eventually.

Also you can add them roasted at secondary, if you used them freshly roasted, and process them with sanitised equipment, that way you don't need to worry about infections.

Also you could juice them and add them at secondary after freezing the juice for 3 days or so, this would give a more raw taste obviously and I've never juiced a sweet potato.

Here your imagination (and probably cooking skills) is the limit, so I leave you these ideas here and do what you feel like, maybe you can come up with something more interesting

https://www.brew-dudes.com/sweet-potato-beer/3201I would have assumed you’d add the sweet potato during the boil, but these guys added it to the mash. Not much help for an extract batch, but interesting. You could mash yer taters separately (😆) and then add to the boil.
You could boil them directly but then you're not using the starches to make more sugar, if you add them to the boil, I would roast them first and boil them for a short time, essentially what you need for them to dissolved if added mashed (like pureed, no mashing them for sugars), so like 5 minutes top, you can also add them at whirlpool. All ingredients can be processed and added in multiple ways, some ways will work better and be more efficient, others will work for you because they give a certain note you like but maybe it needs more flavour so you combine methods, and so on, when using "weird" ingredients it's better to approach it from a cooking mindset rather than brewing IMO

Interestingly, sweet potatoes have the same enzymes as malt, which is what makes them sweet when you cook them. I tried to mash sweet potatoes once, though and couldn't get them to convert :(

I know you said extract, but cook them first and say you did a partial mash!

Interestingly, sweet potatoes have the same enzymes as malt, which is what makes them sweet when you cook them. I tried to mash sweet potatoes once, though and couldn't get them to convert :(

I know you said extract, but cook them first and say you did a partial mash!
When mashed the sweet potatoes I roasted them first, then added them to the mash and I did get more sugars than expected, so I guess I did extract the sugars from the sweet potato, although it mainly gives colour and sugars when mashed, for flavour is way better to add them to the fermenter

When mashed the sweet potatoes I roasted them first, then added them to the mash and I did get more sugars than expected, so I guess I did extract the sugars from the sweet potato, although it mainly gives colour and sugars when mashed, for flavour is way better to add them to the fermenter

I've always had vegetal tastes with pumpkin, was it the same with sweet potatoes?

I've always had vegetal tastes with pumpkin, was it the same with sweet potatoes?
Not yet, although when I have used it I roast it until it's fully cooked and with the outside starting to caramelise, it tasted like sweet potatoes which is a vegetable but I guess you mean like a herb or cabbage like note

Latest posts

Back