Brewing with Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aust1227

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Quick question. I have a recipe that calls for flaked oats. The oats right now appear to be in a raw state, should they be toasted/baked before I mash them with the rest of my grains.

I am a little concerned that my wort will look and feel just like oatmeal if they are not roasted ahead of time!

Look forward to hearing your imput

If you have actual flaked oats (or quick oat flakes) you don't need to do anything with them, just add them to your mash. If you have whole oats (sometimes called rolled oats) you will need to cook them first to gelatanize the starches before you add them to your mash.

However you can still feel free to toast the flaked/quick oats also. It will impart a slight "roasty" flavor to the brew.

What he said. OTOH, I like to toast my flaked oats at 350oF for ~ 30 mins. I leave the oven door ajar and stir the oats up a couple of times. A pro brewer recommended this to me when I told him I was trying to clone his brown ale. I liked the results and now, do it for all beers I add oats to. Gives a nice, nutty flavor to the finished beer.

Chello said:
However you can still feel free to toast the flaked/quick oats also. It will impart a slight "roasty" flavor to the brew.
Most definitely, I often toast the oats for my oatmeal stout, though I'd call the flavour 'toasty' rather than 'roasty'. :mug:

Thanks for the input guys.. I am going for smooth with no roast or toast in this one.. I am glad to know that i won't trash the wort with unroasted oats.

Thanks!

Next time I will probably give the roast and toast a try!

I'm an extract brewer at the moment, can oats just be steeped, like crystal for example, or do they always require mashing?

Cheers

Here is what Palmer says

Oatmeal 1 L Oats are wonderful in a porter or stout. Oatmeal lends a smooth, silky mouthfeel and a creaminess to a stout that must be tasted to be understood. Oats are available whole, steel-cut (i.e. grits), rolled, and flaked. Rolled and flaked oats have had their starches gelatinized (made soluble) by heat and pressure, and are most readily available as "Instant Oatmeal" in the grocery store. Whole oats and "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" have not had the degree of gelatinization that Instant have had and must be cooked before adding to the mash. "Quick" oatmeal has had a degree of gelatinization but does benefit from being cooked before adding to the mash. Cook according to the directions on the box (but add more water) to ensure that the starches will be fully utilized. Use 0.5-1.5 lb. per 5 gal batch. Oats need to be mashed with barley malt (and its enzymes) for conversion.

Back