Brewing with an induction cooktop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plinythelderphan

Reaction score
I'm looking to forward all of my brewing processes to the basement where I have a fridge, sink, couple tables, etc...

I don't have a stove down there and am very leary of doing anything using propane in this area that is not ventilated.

I was working out and saw this on the TV at the Y. I was mesmerized, the only thing I could think of was a self sustaining brew area in my basement.

Has anyone brewed with one of these? There is no risk of fire, thus ventilation isn't an issue. I'm not real worried about spills as its a basement.

I guess my only concern is whether or not my brew kettle is compatible, and secondly if it has the guts to boil 7 gallons of wort. Thanks in advance for any replies or wisdom.

They say it's only 1300 watts. I'm not sure if that would be enough to boil 7 gallons. I'd check out the "electric brewing" forum and plan to make a heatstick. It'll be cheaper, and you're adding the heat directly to the water.

I have an 1800w induction plate and it does fine for my 2.5 gal batches. I can get 6 gal up to boil in a little over an hour but you need to keep the lid on to maintain a good rolling boil.

If your brewing 5 gal batches I'd recommend a more powerful 220v 3500w induction plate or a heat stick in combination with a smaller induction plate.

Back