Brewing small (< 5 gal) batches...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nkliph

Reaction score
I'd like to experiment more with smaller.batch sizes, as it's less of a waste if something doesn't work out.

I'm looking for recommendations on exact size a d equipment to go with. I have a one gal carboy, and these are cheap, so I could easily go with these as primary and secondary fermenters. However, are there any consequences to brewing on this small of a scale?

2.5 gal would be next choice, as I see 3 gal carboys...

I have only been brewing 1 gallon batches because of space restraints where I currently live. I enjoy it because I get to brew more and try a wide variety of brews. No down side to brewing small, just a smaller amount of beer to drink. There is a good 1 gallon brewer thread on there I would check out. I believe it is called "1 gallon brewers unite"

You know, you can brew smaller batches in large 5-6 gallon carboys. In fact, you won't have to worry about ever using a blow-off tube, and the dense layer of C02 will provide for better security to stave off oxygen.

A secondary vessel is rarely needed, but if you're brewing a lesser volume of specialty ale with raspberry puree and cacoa nibs, then I guess you could pick up a 3 gallon carboy.

I have primarily used 2 gallon buckets, got them free from the local grocery's bakery department (old icing buckets). Just drill a hole in the lid for the airlock/gasket. You can do 1.25-1.5 gallon batches in those. I prefer that size over a gallon carboy due to less concern of a blowoff and a few extra bottles of beer. I have used a 1-gal carboy as a secondary a few times though.

I do small batches due to lack of space and not wanting to drink a full 5 gallon batch. I've recently done a couple 3 gallon batches for longer term sours and use a 3 gallon better bottle for those.

Not sure how you're planning to make your wort, but I have a 4 gallon pot and do stove top BIAB. One benefit is that I can fit my pot in the oven to help hold a consistent mash temp.

I brew 2.5 gallon batches and ferment in 3 gallon Better Bottles. Sometimes I need a blow off hose, sometimes not. If I know that the yeast is a beast, I use a 5 gallon or even 6 gallon carboy with a regular air lock. The consequences are that you will most likely brew more often and have more variety available at any given time.

Midwest supply has 2 gal buckets with a predrilled hole and grommet for a reasonable price. I use them to brew 1.5gal batches which gives me a 12 pack plus a couple. I normally go from primary to bottle, so I dont worry about the odd volume.

I find things scale pretty well, but you need a good scale to measure hops as it does not take much to throw off the bitterness on a small batch.

A smaller kettle (like 5gal) is also handy for smaller batches to help reduce boil off losses.

I use grocery apple cider 1G glass jugs for my carboys on small experimental batches. Can't beat $5 carboys especially if you use the juice inside to make a cider.

I too got tired of the larger batches and having to drink so much beer (good problem to have I suppose) so I do nothing but 2.5-3GL batches. I have a glass 3GL carboy that I use, and if I do happen to brew again before the other is ready I just ferment in one of the 6.5GL buckets.

I think the only thing to note really is that you wouldn't want to do secondary in a container with a lot of head space, but since I rarely secondary I don't worry about it.

Also, since I live in a small place where space is tight, it makes things a bit easier. I'd also add another advantage is that I can do full boils right there on my stove top (especially since I can't do it outside over propane). Basically you are boiling 3 to 3.5GL of wort so it's no problem.

Good luck!

2.5g is a nice size and you can use Mr Beer LBKs as fermentors, or Brewdemon conicals. For me, a 5g kettle fits in my oven so I can BIAB and put the whole shebang in the oven to hold temperature during the mash.

I do 2 gallon batches in 2 gallon paint buckets from Home Depot and get 17-18 bottles each time. Check out this video its old and I've improved my method a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back