Brewing on Sundays

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah yes "too-tah" home of the "normans".
Being judged be people who wear magic green underwear...

It is white, not green -- though there is a coyote brown version for Mormons serving in the military. Many religions dictate special clothing.

The biggest problem in Mormonism is that people often mistake the culture (specifically the "Utah Mormon" culture, as the religion itself, which is most definitely NOT the case.

I brew in Utah and even my Mormon neighbors think it is really cool, though I stopped caring what people think long ago.

I brew on Sunday. I do believe everyone needs to sabbath, but it doesn't need to be all in one day, and it doesn't involve just sitting or laying around. The time should be used to reflect on God/read/pray and also used to refresh yourself, doing whatever activities that does that for you.

I like to do projects and brew beer, it is a refreshing break from work. I do normally spend my whole Sunday in the mentioned activities, but sometimes work might slip in, so I make sure to take time during the rest of the week as well.

My friend from church is the one who got me started in brewing, and I'm planning a day soon to invite anyone at church over for a brew-day, I've had a lot of people interested in how it works, and several that really appreciate my homebrew.

I'm an Irish Catholic and i think if he could have, the big JC would have turned water into Stout instead of wine:mug:. But i tend to brew mostly on late late Saturday nights and on Sundays.When I brew it is loud! My neighbors have never said anything, in fact they stop by and help out. If they don't complain about loud music and equipment at 2 in the morning on Sunday I guess they aren't to worried about 2 in the afternoon on Sunday. Perhaps im just especialy lucky, like i said im Irish.

My dad's a Wesleyan pastor, in fact so are 5 of my uncles, 6 first cousins, and several distant relations are also clergy. So I can't even think about bringing up my favorite hobby with them. Which sucks, because I love talking about cooking and baking with my mom. I never understood their irrational prohibition against alcohol. It's like blaming a gun for murder, absurd.

Someone could double check this, but I've been told that John Wesley wasn't against beer. In fact he has written on the subject from a medical standpoint and apparently did a little brewing himself. If I remember, he wasn't a fan of hops.

I'd love to have some of my church friends come over and brew after church on Sunday, but I only started going to our new church recently and haven't made many friends yet. I'm not naturally a social person, preferring to have a few very close friends, than a bunch of acquaintances.

I do know one guy a bit though, and since he listens to Pink Floyd and other very cool music, and the church seems fairly liberal (compared to the baptist upbringing that I had as a child) I have no doubt he would be intrigued by the process and want to come. In fact, if brew day goes as planned this weekend, I may invite him to come over if he can.

I've found that sacraficing a virgin to Nasferatu quickly draws the church-people's attention away from my brewing.

My neighbor is my son's babysitter and her husband is a youth pastor. The babysitter comes over when my wife gets home on wednesdays for their chill day (drinking wine), and last time I was brewing her husband pulled in and said, "Brewing", I said "Yep", he YELLS,"THAT IS SOO COOL". I think I got the religious backing in my neighborhood. Thank god, I couldn't brew without religious backing!:rolleyes:

To the OP, when they start looking at you start chanting something about the father of darkness. Maybe even buy a big black hooded Brewing Robe.

I heard girls really are not that impressed when you name your junk.

Memorable! That one may have to go in my signature! :D

If any of you get guff about brewing on a Sunday, tell them that it's very likely Jesus turned water into beer and not wine. For a little history, wine was the drink of aristocrats, nobles, upper class, etc. As those with some biblical knowledge know, Jesus hung out with the bums, hookers, lepers, felons, etc. The beverage for the lower classes in those times was beer, not wine. Jesus probably turned the water into beer for his parties. Unfortunately, the translations were done by the upper class so they inserted their drink of choice, wine, into the texts.

Alternatively, tell them to **** off, pagans can do whatever the **** they want regardless of the day of week. :rockin:

Back