Brewing on Sundays

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broo_dood

Reaction score
anybody else feel like they're being damned/judged by their finatic religious neighbors?

i'm brewing ed wort's haus pale ale today. getting some nasty looks from the natives here tho.

I gave up caring what those type of people thought about me a long time ago

i think they've narrowed my activities down to witch-craft or meth-lab....tho no police yet :D

with each hop addition they probably imagining eye-of-newt, pig's-ear, or...

Haha, no, I live in an area that is all college kids. I was boiling some brew on my buddy's porch past midnight last night and people were walking by giving me weird looks, and these 3 guys walked back by and were like "What are you cooking man?" and I said "Beer" and they laughed, like not expecting that, then asked if it was any good, and I'm like "I'll find out."

I just sent bottles of my brown ale and a cream ale home with my daughter-in-law to give to her dad who is a preacher. He digs my home brew. I would have sent some Torpedo too but I'm keeping that to my damn self.

Who cares what religious extremists think? If they don't like your brewing, I'd suggest encouraging them to move into some cult compound somewhere where they don't have to deal with us impure souls.

I live right across the street from a church in Utah and I got a few questioning looks while I was brewing in my garage this afternoon. But as previous posters have said...I gave up caring what other people thought of me long ago.:mug::mug:

I don't see what the problem is. I suppose you shouldn't work on Sunday if you're a member of some religious communities, but I wouldn't imagine it would include working on your hobby. If it's an alcohol thing, well, there's certainly nothing in the bible forbidding alcohol use. As long as you're in a Christian area you should be golden. Heck, I have beers with my Hutterite friends all the time.

I think you'll find most "church people" cool with the idea of home brewing. Most of the people I church with will have a beer or wine. Some of the old school types look down their noses, but people will be critical for almost anything even those who aren't crazy radical religious types.

JHC made water into wine, what's wrong with me (a significantly less stellar individual) making beer from water and malted grains?

Yea actually very few "church people" would care, the normal church people. The crazy church people might. My whole family and I are Catholic (although I don't go to church anymore, find it boring and unnecessary) and we all drink, a lot. Every family function all the O'Daniel's drink, some get buzzed and some get trashed; Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, any random get-together, whatever.

Come to think of it, come August in Hunington, WV, there's a Homebrew comp that takes places in a Church, hah.

anybody else feel like they're being damned/judged by their finatic religious neighbors?

i'm brewing ed wort's haus pale ale today. getting some nasty looks from the natives here tho.

Where are you? If you're down in the Bible Belt, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they sent over an exorcist. Up here in the land of cheese and beer, nobody thinks twice. They come over to help and have a brew.

Neighbors? What Neighbors? I've got this whole place to my self. Welcome to Big Sky Country you should really stop by.:mug:

I brewed yesterday and had two mothers with children deliver Girl Scout Cookies. BOTH moms said - "oooo it smells good in here" and one kid said "It smells like potatoes, I LOVE potatoes " I explained it was beer and both said something on the order of havign to find a reason to come back.

I love Wisconsin.

My pastor ushered me into brewing. Sunday's a busy day for him ( busy morning worth of work:rolleyes: ), but if that afternoon frees up, we're not opposed to boiling up a batch. I can't get much more reassurance than that.

I brewed yesterday and had two mothers with children deliver Girl Scout Cookies. BOTH moms said - "oooo it smells good in here" and one kid said "It smells like potatoes, I LOVE potatoes " I explained it was beer and both said something on the order of havign to find a reason to come back.

I love Wisconsin.

Smells like a MILF threesome brewing too. :ban:

Well, I think the big banner in my front lawn that says "Screw Jebus, I Worship Beer!" pretty much set the record straight.

Become a Lutheran. Martin Luther's wife, Katharina Von Bora, was the best brewer in Wittenburg which helped attract people to the early Lutheran church. ;)

Amen to that.

I often brew on Sundays after church, what's could be wrong with that?

I often brew on Sundays after church as well...

I don't know who "THOSE" ppl are... but none of my church bretheren seem to take any issue with it.

I dont recall the bible addressing brewing... well except for Jesus turning water into wine, which means he was a brewer as well.

My neighbors are used to the turkey frier aligned so the regulator faces the east, the ritual group circumambulating the kettle, consecrating the aroma hops just before flameout...

Haven't been to church in a while, unless somebody dies/gets married, etc, but as a kid, went regularly. At my confirmation, pastor was a friend of the family, we had a beer together, and he got trashed.
Presbyterians are ok with beer!

Haven't been to church in a while, unless somebody dies/gets married, etc, but as a kid, went regularly. At my confirmation, pastor was a friend of the family, we had a beer together, and he got trashed.
Presbyterians are ok with beer!
Ha - I brewed on Saturday with a Presbyterian Minister. He also works at the Seminary. Would have brewed Sunday, but he was busy. It was his first time brewing: I think I hooked another one! [Now, if I can only deconvert him, my work is done!]

We made a Bishop's Finger clone. We were going to call it "give the Bishop the Finger", but now I'm thinking "Bishop Bird's Bitter", just for a more subtle (and alliterative) take...

Living in [state that rhymes with too-tah] , I embrace this judging feeling.

Judge away friends, judge away.

My skin is thick and my beliefs non-wavering...and if any neighbors change their minds and want to talk about it, they are always welcome to come by, have a beer, and to talk about it anytime!:mug:

Living in [state that rhymes with too-tah] , I embrace this judging feeling.

Judge away friends, judge away.

My skin is thick and my beliefs non-wavering...and if any neighbors change their minds and want to talk about it, they are always welcome to come by, have a beer, and to talk about it anytime!:mug:

Ah yes "too-tah" home of the "normans".
Being judged be people who wear magic green underwear (seriously) and think tea and coffee are sin full because "Their" version of the bible states "no hot drinks". I wonder if hot chocolate is allowed?

ah yes, being atheist has a lot of advantages, one of them being that what I do on any day of the week is my business and mine alone.

Anyone who'd like to judge, can get their judge on.

I've had many people who attend church with my wife and me join us for brew days, even on Sundays. Non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

I am Irish Catholic beer & wine are part of our religion & must be brewed/vinted as needed to stay blessed. :)

i think they've narrowed my activities down to witch-craft or meth-lab....tho no police yet :D

with each hop addition they probably imagining eye-of-newt, pig's-ear, or...

When the cops do show up to investigate your supposed 'meth lab,' make sure to offer them a beer!

Back