Brewing Novice, Expert Beer Drinker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tykreis

Reaction score
Hello!

My name is Ty and I just got into brewing. I think it's my favorite thing now...besides drinking beer, of course.

I was wondering if any one could give me basic definitions and what the pros and cons are with all grain and extract brewing. Is there different equipment that I need?

Also, what's the best place to buy supplies? should I get them from local stores, or is there a site online anyone really recommends?

Thanks for your time!!

You should get everything you can from local stores if they exist. Everything else obviously you can get online. Buying local helps ensure you have a place to go during a brewing emergency. Plus you are supporting your local economy, talking to others who share your passion, and making the beer gods very happy indeed.

Great online stores are northern brewer, austin home brew, morebeer, and midwest supplies. They are all about equal so take your pick.

You really only need two major pieces to move from extract to all grain:
1. Mash/Lauter tun
2. Large boil kettle

This assumes you have everything you need for brewing extracts (siphon, tubes, filters, carboys or buckets, thermometers, etc.)

You also need to arm yourself with some way of learning your system so as to keep track of your water losses, extraction efficiency, and temperature swings. A few brews on your system and you'll have all the information you need to modify any recipe to fit your needs.

Back