Brewing my Second beer some time this week--advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bildo

Reaction score
I'm brewing a wheat beer this week, and my research tells me I should probably use a blow off tube of some sort. If I can find a container big enough to hold water and my bucket I'll use that to keep it warm with an aquarium heater. I am going to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks before bottling. What can I expect when I'm making a wheat beer? Can I mix up some one step sanitizer into a spray bottle and use that to re-sanitize things as needed?

What is the question? Do not have the blow off go into the tub with the aquarium heater. It will make a terrible mess.

If your using the German hefe yeast then you will most definitely need a blow off. That yeast foams like crazy.

I don't know about one step. I use star san and with that you can spray it on and it works very quickly. However the mixed spray loses effectiveness over time. It's probably no good after a few weeks.

Well you've pretty much told me what I needed to know. If brewing wheat beer is a whole lot different, as far as how it reacts. I need to find a way to keep it warm, I've got a heat belt but it says not to keep it on for more than 7 days.

What is the air temp where the fermenter will be?

You don't want it too warm and the fermenter will produce it's own heat.

Do you have a thermometer on the fermenter? You want that to read 60F when you pitch the yeast and rise to 66F over the first 3 days. Then keep it steady at 66F-70F for the remainder of fermentation. It should finish in 10-14 days total and be ready to bottle. Start drinking it 2-3 weeks after it goes in the bottles. You want to drink this beer fresh as it does not age well.

The room is about 50F, some times 45F. The belt worked fine on the last batch, I just don't know about leaving it on for 2 weeks.

yeah that's cold. I'd try the aquarium heater and the water. Put some bleach in the water to keep things fresh. Put the blow off into another container like a jug or bucket.

Some folks use a small fountain pump to recirculate the water in the tub with the heater. Do a search on aquarium heaters and I bet you will find some good info.

Yeah I have an old heater for a 125 gallon system laying around, I figured I'd put a thermometer in a tub and see how warm the water gets.

Latest posts

Back