Brewing my first 10 bbl batch !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subbed! There are only 2 micro breweries in northwest arkansas. I'm thinking that they need some competition. ;)

My brother lives in Springdale. I was a bit bummed out when I visited last December and the only choice for a brewpub was the Hog Haus in Fayetteville. The beer and food were ok but nothing to write home about. As usual I picked up some swag (pint glasses for the collection) but skipped the growler.

say...any new news to report about the brewery and of your brewing experiences so far? what's on tap and what's brewing? Any new improvements made to the brewery and if so what was done? I'd like to come up and visit real soon and I have more samples for you guy's to try out. Hope to see everyone soon! :D

*********** Here's an update ***************

Well, some time has passed since my last post. We have had our hands full with the "joys" of owning a business. We have a few accounts and our beer sells quick, YAY ! Then disaster struck.. Our glycol system had and issue, it got a hole on the heat exchange tube. Of corse this happened during the hottest week we had, and when we had two of the fermenters filled with 10 bbls of IPA and 10 bbls of Pale. needless to say the hole in the heat exchange caused the system to fail and our temps in the fermenters went from a happy 52 degrees (crashing out), and 68 degrees (primary ferm) to a very unhappy 92 degrees! Yes we all stood around the draind and cried as I opened the dump valve on the IPA and watch $5000 in profit get recycled back in to the circle of life. This also happened 1 week before one of the biggest fest in the area. the 2012 Disk Jam. thursday to sunday and a local venue. 4 days of a disk golf tourny and 4 days of music. 22 bands in all I think. Normally this venue goes through 4 kegs a week from us (2 Pale, and 2 IPA). I only had 5 kegs of Pale and 3 IPA left in the cooler, they used all of them. My friend who owns a local brewery (much larger than ours) went through 24 kegs during the fest and 11 of them were IPA (what would have been my tap). So we cried some more. 3 and a half weeks later....after changing out the pump and the motor for the glycol (they died too) we are back in operation! Brewed the Pale last night and it went fantastic !!!!got our brew eff up to 82%. not bad. brewing the IPA on Monday, then later on in the week we will be brewing the Wit. We have a pocket full of checks that now have to go toward the cost of repairs. I think all of the problems had helped us refine our brewing and improve on our techniques in many ways. need to crack up the production and get about 100 more kegs. We are looking in to a lease program for the kegs. we don't have the ability to harvest yeast from our system untill me make some improvements. My friend gave me the code to his place and told me not to pay for yeast anymore, to just grab it from him. That will say about $225 a batch ! We added a gasket to our mash false bottom, now our vorlof only takes about 15 min. All in all i'm still thrilled to still be brewing and looking forward to the future. Oh, and our friends from Lost Elm Brewing want to use our system for production until they get their brewery finished. I say those guys are welcome anytime! I'll update more on monday when we do our IPA.

Cheers all!
Kris - Head Brewer
Apocalypse Beer Company

feel free to "like us" on FB

http://www.facebook.com/ApocalypseBeerCompany

logo.jpg

Awesome that you are back in production. You are living the dream of many home brewers and dealing with the realities of business. Good luck going forward. If I ever get up to that end of the coast, I will make it a point to stop by.

Sheldon

Awesome that you are back in production. You are living the dream of many home brewers and dealing with the realities of business. Good luck going forward. If I ever get up to that end of the coast, I will make it a point to stop by.

Sheldon

Now I'm sad I left MA. I'll be up there soon Labor Day weekend for my bachelor party... It would be wicked cool to stop by and see it and try some at the pub you make it for.

good to hear that all the issues with the glycol system have been resolved and that you're back to brewing! It must have been heartbreaking to watch all that beer go down the drain tho..... oh well....better beers ahead!

The Pale is going fantastic!!!! Temp is holding perfect at 68 degrees! Oh the beautiful bubble from the blowoff !!!! it smells like a brewery again. Tonight we will be brewing the IPA. Gonna change things up a bit and use our awesome hopback. we are going to cram it with hops and pull all of these amazing oils out of it. I'll add a pic of the hopback tonight. It's about 3 1/2 feet tall.

nice improvement! Where's the hopback?? Glad to see that you guy's are brewing again! Looking forward to stopping by soon too!

Love the pics and that you're living the dream. Unfortunately, I'm all the way out in IL to come check out the place, but I have coworkers that frequent the area and I'll be sure to send them to you.

Congrats on getting your business running. Very interesting story and BTW, I like the name and your labels.

I'm curious, did you have insurance to help cover the loss of the brew? I noticed you only mentioned lost profit and not lost costs...

Congrats - you guys are an inspiration! Keep the posts coming and if I ever happen to be in MA (live in IL) I know where I'm going for a brew or 5.
Cheers and good luck to a fellow Kris!

barryfine said:
I'm curious, did you have insurance to help cover the loss of the brew? I noticed you only mentioned lost profit and not lost costs...

No ins for that, just write it off and don't pay the $10 per bbl tax

cadwallion said:
Love the pics and that you're living the dream. Unfortunately, I'm all the way out in IL to come check out the place, but I have coworkers that frequent the area and I'll be sure to send them to you.

All are welcome !

just stumbled upon this thread.

hows the business going? I live in Sturbridge and used to frequent the Dark Horse but I must have been there right before you took over the taps. I'll have to swing bye

Back