Brewing in Growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trex8989

Reaction score
Hi everyone. So I have been carbonating in bottles for a bit of time now, but I would like to give carbonating in a growler a try. I am getting married, and I was thinking about giving a custom growler to each one of my groomsmen with some home brew in it. Is it feasible to think the beer with carbonate correctly in a "grolsch" style growler?

Absolutely not. Growlers are not made to withstand those types of pressures. Carbonated beer is ok, carbonating in them is a big no no.

Drink some commercial bombers and clean them and bottle and cap em up. Thats what your looking for.Just make shure you give good carbonation time and some cold condtioning. Clean them up and customize your own bomber bottles. Actual growlers are only meant for tap beer or keg beer,not bottle priming-there is a differnce in pressure which could blow them up bottle conditioning.

I bottled an Ipa and ran out of bottles and filled up a growler. It never exploded I put the cap on tight left it for about a month and its in my fridge now

I bottled an Ipa and ran out of bottles and filled up a growler. It never exploded I put the cap on tight left it for about a month and its in my fridge now

Right, but the chances are higher of bottle blowout with growlers vs. craft bottles or bombers which are made for bottle conditioning. Its higher risk,as they are weaker bottles. The odds or chances of it blowing out is signifacantly higher comparably. As noted before its Russian roulette. Flying glass bombs are a serious deal to be a little paranoid about.

I occasionally see 3 liter swing top bottles around Christmas time.

p4767_big.jpg

This place has 3 liter swing top bottles. It's in Germany, but the shipping will be less than buying several bottles filled with beer.

http://www.systempack.de/e-swingtop-bottle-catalogue.html

Its a grolsh swing top.Its good to go.Ive use them as well,one i actully got poor carbonation from for some reason.

Meh, I think you could definitely carb to 1.5 volumes of CO2 in a growler. That's not very much but if you are fine with your beer being a little undercarbed, go for it. Kinda like a cask ale.

jonmohno said:
Right, but the chances are higher of bottle blowout with growlers vs. craft bottles or bombers which are made for bottle conditioning. Its higher risk,as they are weaker bottles. The odds or chances of it blowing out is signifacantly higher comparably. As noted before its Russian roulette. Flying glass bombs are a serious deal to be a little paranoid about.

True I may have gotten a strong one , plus a 12oz bottle bomb is a little easier to clean than a growler plus 64oz of beer

I have never done it but I know someone who does with the Big Brown German fliptops.

I mean as long as you are save and don't over carbonate why not...

BUT that means you cannot just SWAG your sugar,,, you need to know the proper amount to use....

SWAG as in "Silly Wild Ass Guess."

American champagne bottles might be a nice substitute. They're built for 5L CO2, but fit an American bottle cap. They're also as asthetic as giving champagne. Have you thought about brewing a Barleywine or Russian Imperial Stout that they could enjoy on your anniversary?

Back