Brewing in a Bag 1st Timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this is the case, then why do my short mash brews attenuate so fully. If they were mostly dextrines I would end up with a high final gravity...but I don't. Something seems amiss.

Perhaps mashing at a higher temperature, and not like 2 degrees higher, say 10?

I was just called out by a guy who wanted to correct me for always adjusting (ph and salts) my strike water before I dough-in.

I'm pretty sure I saw that exchange, and of course I do the same as you - I prep the water completely and then dough in. Makes total sense to me and I'm not convinced that another way is better. Granted, I don't measure actual pH, either. I just use 3 or 4 of the water calculators and settle on something they all find reasonable.

I sometimes wonder if doing a short mash but steeping the flavor grains separate for a longer time and then adding that "tea" to the wort would get decent beer but I don't wonder enough to do it myself. I've already drunk enough sub-par beer in my experimentation.:p

I'm pretty sure I saw that exchange, and of course I do the same as you - I prep the water completely and then dough in. Makes total sense to me and I'm not convinced that another way is better. Granted, I don't measure actual pH, either. I just use 3 or 4 of the water calculators and settle on something they all find reasonable.

Of course we all see the posts that indicate "I don't do it this way because..." If thousands of brewers have found unquestioned success with a particular technique, there is always that one who questions the proven technique and goes out on an experiment. And I'll admit, innovative techniques are discovered this way.

I am working with my brother in law teaching him the fundamental aspects of brewing including water management. For the reliability of a well known procedure, I am showing him to always treat his BIAB full volume strike water with chemistry prior to mash in. Why he asks, which is the same thing we are discussing here.....that so much of the important phase of a conversion happens quickly especially with the fine grind I am showing him to use. There may be exceptions to the rule such as a coarser grind, a very thick mash, or 1.111 barley wines, but would I teach him the exceptions, or teach him the basics? I choose to show him the standard process and tell him that other situations may eventually come up.

I tracked my last ten brews ranging from 1.048 to 1.065. My BH efficiency is 81.05% average almost like clockwork. This is the proof in the pudding to my way of thinking. Why would I possibly want to change, but if anyone can show me that adding chemistry later in the mash would increase my BH% or improve my beers, I'd be all ears. I don't expect that adjusting or adding chemistry on the fly will revolutionize brewing, but anything can happen.

Back