Brewing for a wedding... ideas on selection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lineup: 1-4

• American Light Lager

• Festbier

• NEIPA

• Pale Ale

• Marzen/Oktoberfest

• Weizen

• Stout

• Czech Pilsner

• Belgian Wit

• IPA

Results are only viewable after voting.
Those are good suggestions. I was anticipating having to do something similar. The groom was actually going to rent a refrigerated tap trailer that would get delivered to the site the night before, and lines/taps, gas all taken care of. I was so excited when I he told me that. Their plan was to also serve wine (nitro) and champagne on tap (that they would source).
i may be easily impressed, but that sounds pretty baller.

i may be easily impressed, but that sounds pretty baller.
I was blown away when he told me about it. It definitely makes it way easier on me to where all I need to do is show up with kegged beer and dont have to babysit anything the whole night. They take their booze very seriously 😄

Brewing for a wedding in the summer myself for friend's daughter, but have it easy, only supplying one beer. They have a beer truck serving commercial beers and the guy agreed that they could have one beer added from their "brewmaster". My decision was easy, both bride and groom come from Italian families, so an Italian Pilsner it is. Had to purchase adapters to hook corny keg to the truck's sanke connections. The beer name was a snap.."Tie the Knot" and will have a Grogtag sign with a picture of the bride wrapping me up in a jump rope when she was 2 with the tag line "Megan has been practicing for years to...Tie the Knot, an Italian Pilsner".

Brewing for a wedding in the summer myself for friend's daughter, but have it easy, only supplying one beer. They have a beer truck serving commercial beers and the guy agreed that they could have one beer added from their "brewmaster". My decision was easy, both bride and groom come from Italian families, so an Italian Pilsner it is. Had to purchase adapters to hook corny keg to the truck's sanke connections. The beer name was a snap.."Tie the Knot" and will have a Grogtag sign with a picture of the bride wrapping me up in a jump rope when she was 2 with the tag line "Megan has been practicing for years to...Tie the Knot, an Italian Pilsner".

You may want have a look at the peroni clone thread for potential Italian Pilsner recipe ideas…

You may want have a look at the peroni clone thread for potential Italian Pilsner recipe ideas…

Thanks, but Italian Pilsner does not mean Peroni or Moretti, which are more normal Euro Pale lager styles. Italian Pis is a craft version made famous by Tipopils from Birrificio Italiano. It's more like a German Pilsner, but then gets lightly dry hopped with German noble hops. Here in US, Firestone Walker's Pivo Pils is based on Italian Pils. What Is an Italian Pilsner? • Hop Culture

Thanks, but Italian Pilsner does not mean Peroni or Moretti, which are more normal Euro Pale lager styles. Italian Pis is a craft version made famous by Tipopils from Birrificio Italiano. It's more like a German Pilsner, but then gets lightly dry hopped with German noble hops. Here in US, Firestone Walker's Pivo Pils is based on Italian Pils. What Is an Italian Pilsner? • Hop Culture

Seems pedantic… Peroni calls it a Pilsner, and it is hopped and dry hopped with Saaz, so would fit the “category” in any case. Bittering uses magnum, which is not technically a noble, but don’t know many German brewers that would waste a noble on bittering.

Anyhow, you’ve got a good idea of what you want to make, so pay no mind to the suggestion!

Seems pedantic… Peroni calls it a Pilsner, and it is hopped and dry hopped with Saaz, so would fit the “category” in any case. Bittering uses magnum, which is not technically a noble, but don’t know many German brewers that would waste a noble on bittering.

Anyhow, you’ve got a good idea of what you want to make, so pay no mind to the suggestion!

Yeah, I have brewed two test batches already so should be all set to dial it in when I brew it late April and then lager it for two months.

Yeah, I have brewed two test batches already so should be all set to dial it in when I brew it late April and then lager it for two months.

Thread revival for an update on your Italian pils. Recipe? especially hop/dry hop schedule. I really like this style and want to give it a try.
Pivo and a local, Bocce Break by Heirloom Rustic Ales are favorites

My good friends are getting hitched next late September, and I've been awarded the title of "brewmaster" for the event haha. We already have the green light to serve homebrew at the venue. I'm told there will be around 100 guests, and my plan is to have 4 styles on draft. I'm thinking two 5 gallon kegs of each style (I'm setup for 10 gallon batches). There's also going to be hard liquor, wine, and champagne so I don't want to exceed 5.5 abv with any style. The draft system will be setup with CO2 so any left over beer won't go to waste. I like brewing (more like drinking) German style lagers, and my first thought of a wedding in late September was Festbier or Oktoberfest had to be on the menu. Given I actually have some time to plan this out and room to store cold kegs, I'm thinking I could make this variety around March, and let it sit patiently until the big day. (this will also help me spread the work over some time) On the flip side, I do figure there will have to be at least one selection that is a heavily dry hopped/aromatic/flavor bomb that will need to be brewed very close to the day of the event. I'm leaning towards a NEIPA with this selection given popularity and general well received nature from low IBUs and the "juice" factor.

I'm not so sure about the remaining two selections. What do you all think? Vote in the poll and reply with any alternates.

Cheers! 🍻

Keep it simple and make sure your capable of making a professional product.

Thread revival for an update on your Italian pils. Recipe? especially hop/dry hop schedule. I really like this style and want to give it a try.
Pivo and a local, Bocce Break by Heirloom Rustic Ales are favorites

First batch was the Tipopils recipe available online using Weyermann Eraclea Pilsner malt (grown in Italy) as the Pilsner malt.

2nd batch was whole different recipe. 1.049 OG, 96.2% Eraclea Pilsner, 3.8% Carahell and hops were Magnum 31.5 IBU @45, Pacific Crest .5 oz whirlpool for 30 @165. 0.2 oz Saaz whirlpool for 30 at 165. 0.45 oz Pacific Crest and 0.25 oz Saaz added at high krausen for dry hop. The Pacific Crest was given to me by a friend who likes it in lagers and wanted me to try it. The beer was good, but batch 1 was better.

For the wedding batch, I have settled on the Weyermann Italian Pils recipe. 1.050 OG, 87% Eraclea Pilsner, 10% Carafoam, 3% Acidulated. Hops are Slovenia hops. 30 IBUs Aurora at 60 , 10 IBUs Bobek at 10 mins and just 0.50 oz Saaz at high krausen. Aurora is also known as Super Styrian and one of it's parents is Northern Brewer, it offers an intense but pleasant aroma and it's profile is citrus, floral, spicy and herbal. Bobek also has Northern Brewer as it's mother and offers pine, lemon and floral aromas. Of course, I will have another beer as a backup in case something happens but that will either be a Cal Common or American Wheat instead.

First batch was the Tipopils recipe available online using Weyermann Eraclea Pilsner malt (grown in Italy) as the Pilsner malt.

2nd batch was whole different recipe. 1.049 OG, 96.2% Eraclea Pilsner, 3.8% Carahell and hops were Magnum 31.5 IBU @45, Pacific Crest .5 oz whirlpool for 30 @165. 0.2 oz Saaz whirlpool for 30 at 165. 0.45 oz Pacific Crest and 0.25 oz Saaz added at high krausen for dry hop. The Pacific Crest was given to me by a friend who likes it in lagers and wanted me to try it. The beer was good, but batch 1 was better.

For the wedding batch, I have settled on the Weyermann Italian Pils recipe. 1.050 OG, 87% Eraclea Pilsner, 10% Carafoam, 3% Acidulated. Hops are Slovenia hops. 30 IBUs Aurora at 60 , 10 IBUs Bobek at 10 mins and just 0.50 oz Saaz at high krausen. Aurora is also known as Super Styrian and one of it's parents is Northern Brewer, it offers an intense but pleasant aroma and it's profile is citrus, floral, spicy and herbal. Bobek also has Northern Brewer as it's mother and offers pine, lemon and floral aromas. Of course, I will have another beer as a backup in case something happens but that will either be a Cal Common or American Wheat instead.

Update is much appreciated. Thank you!

Back