Brewing first batch, halving recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stokes_

Reaction score
Hello all,

I want my first batch to be Pliney, but if I make a full batch it will cost almost $100, and i dont want to risk losing all that money if I mess up. My question is, will it mess anything up if I halve the recipe? Thanks. Also, whats easier to brew with, crushed or whole grains?

Im a noob also, but I think the group here will say to crush the grain. For halving...if all is 1/2 im sure that is ok. Works for the wife when she makes cookies ;)

You can halve the recipe, no problem- but depending on your boil size you probably don't want to halve the boil size.

You have to crush any grain before using it.

Thanks for the replies. It was an order option to have the grain either whole or crushed, so it looks like I'll order them crushed, LOL. I may go ahead and make a Founders Breakfast Stout clone, it looks a bit easier and also cheaper without having to order all those hops. I'll get around to the Pliney eventually, just had my mind set on it for a while now because I can't get it around here and I wanted to see what all the bally-hoo was about.

TBH, I would brew something simpler for your first batch. You want to see what all the fuss is about with Pliney but chances are you aren't going to nail the recipe on your first try. Get the process down for a couple batches then go for it.

Thanks for the replies. It was an order option to have the grain either whole or crushed, so it looks like I'll order them crushed, LOL. I may go ahead and make a Founders Breakfast Stout clone, it looks a bit easier and also cheaper without having to order all those hops. I'll get around to the Pliney eventually, just had my mind set on it for a while now because I can't get it around here and I wanted to see what all the bally-hoo was about.

You get the option to crush or not crush the grain because some homebrewers have their own mills at home. They prefer to crush their own grain to better control their efficiency. Sometimes your LHBS might have an inconsistent mill or their crush might give you a lower efficiency than you hope for. If you don't own a mill, you definitely want to have your grains crushed. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back