Brewing equipment list.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ Peacock

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster.

I've done quite a lot of Wine, Hard Cider, Mead ... So I have the fermentation side of things pretty well figured out (Carboys, heaters, controllers, vacuum pump, sanitizer ...). CO2, Kegs ...

My questions are on the hot side of beer making. I've read a TON of information about the different approaches (3 kettle, kettle+Mash Tun, BIAB single kettle ...

I think I've settled on the following and would appreciate the guidance from the forum.
Most batches will be 5-6gallon and I'm planning on all grain (I've done kits with extract in the kitchen).

15 gallon BrewBuilt Kettle. (2 welded 1/2" NPT couplers) (ball valve and plug)
Blichman Hellfire burner with 24" legs
SS False bottom to keep Bag from melting.
BIAB bag
Therminator wort chiller (I have REALLY cold well water)
Thrumometer to measure wort temp out of Therminator.

SS Chugger pump for recirc of wort during step mashing. (later)

Questions:
I'm thinking about a Thermowell in the second 1/2" coupler, so I can use one of my controller probes in it to monitor temperatures. Would this be better than an actual thermometer? I'm thinking at minimum, I could set it up as a simple 2 light alarm for too hot/too cool ...

By having the kettle up 24", could I gravity flow through the therminator directly into my fermenter by monitoring the temp and flow rate of the wort?

If gravity flow through the Therminator will work, I could probably get by without the pump for re-circulation for now. I could use a pitcher to do manual 'vorlauf'? (I hope that is the right term).

I really appreciate any input you have. I spent the last 3 days debating the pros/cons of a 10 gallon vs 15 gallon kettle and finally decided the 15 is the best first step for me.

I welcome all comments/advice at this point. I really don't mind purchasing good equipment up front for my hobbies. I really hate re-buying because I cheaped out or didn't consider everything before I started.

As far as lifting the bag, I've got that handled via a simple pulley setup.

If it matters, I like beers that aren't very bitter (HefeWeis, Light German lagers etc)

Thanks,
AJ
Michigan

Ok I will bite.

I think the decision of a 15 gallon kettle is a good one. My first kettle was (is) a 15.5 Bayou Classic and I can do some big 5 gallon batches in it and probably some small 10 gallon batches (I will never know, I got a 20 gallon kettle for that)

First issue I see is the false bottom. Unless you are going to recirculate (might as well get a RIMS) or try to maintain mash temps with the burner (don't do it!) you don't need one. And if you are going to do any of the above get a BIAB false bottom from Brew Hardware.

Next is the plate chiller, think about this one a bit. I have a Duda Diesel 20 plate chiller, and like you, cold well water. While the chiller works great (really good actually) it does have special considerations, you absolutely have to have your hops contained with a bag or basket, these chillers plug easily. Cleaning is not too bad but a bit of a chore and you just never really know what is inside there, though so far I feel confident that my cleaning process has kept mine clean. Also look around, there are other (better) than the Terminator out there (sorry John). There are also other ways to measure the temps inline with a plate chiller, I would see Brew Hardware for that also.

Thermometer, get a Thermapen from Thermoworks. Use it for everything, or at least to calibrate everything (Seriously) I wouldn't worry about getting a Thermowell and using a probe unless your going to set up a RIMS or HERMS. (Just my opinion)

As far as initial equipment and re-buying, well, I think a lot of that is economically and personality based, depending on how much you enjoy the hobby and what aspects.
Really it looks like you have a pretty good grasp of what you need (want). There are simpler ways (burner, bag, pot and immersion chiller) many will advocate (and I am sure would work just fine) but for me I like tinkering and I like my stuff, so simple was not in the cards (maybe your the same) Just watch out for deep, deep rabbit holes, they abound in this endeavor.

Oh and welcome aboard from Northern California

Last edited:
You might consider a Jaded Hydra immersion chiller. https://jadedbrewing.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-hydra With really cold well water, you'd be able to take 5.5 gallons from boiling to 70 degrees in just about 4 minutes.

It's easy to clean--just spray it off right after pulling it from the wort--and never clogs.

I have one and it's remarkable. It's all in the extra coils and the surface area they produce.

JDXX1971, thanks. I have a couple Thermapens as well as some other remote thermometers. The Pens are absolutely great! Yeah, I was worried about cleaning on the plate cleaner. The last time I checked my well water temp it was 46F If I recall (232' well) So Mongoose's recommendation of using an immersion chiller is a great idea and would simplify things a lot.

JD, the false bottom I'm looking at is the BIAB false bottom with the SS bolts for legs.

Mongoose, thanks for the link on the chiller.

Thanks guys,
AJ

Just an update. I've started gathering my equipment.
Riptide pump
Blichman Hellfire + legs

After reading another 1000 threads here (there is so much great info here), I went with a custom kettle from Spike. The 2" TC will be for a ripple element later (I have to install a circuit/GFI before I'll need that). The others are for output valve, Thermometer/probe and the upper is for recirc/sparge/whirlpool.

Here is a pic of the kettle.
upload_2018-4-2_13-32-0.png

Thanks again,
AJ

Latest posts

Back