Brewing At 8,000 Feet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cchotz

Reaction score
I recently moved from San Diego, CA to Steamboat Springs, CO. In SD I was brewing at sea level while at my new location I will be brewing at 8,000 feet.

This I believe will have an effect upon fermentation and the yeast. It will also change my boil and times.

Can anyone give me advice as to what will be affected and how I should change my recipes/time...etc in accordance?

Thanks!

Water is going to boil at about 196°F, so you'll probably need to increase the length of your boil and hop additions to compensate. I don't know how much though. Maybe try 25% and go from there?

You might see increased ester production with the lower atmospheric pressure, but I wouldn't assume it'll be noticeable. The difference is actually only about 4 psi. If it does show up you could just reduce the temperature a few degrees to compensate.

I brew at over 11000 feet, I boil for 90 mins. Other than that I do everything much the same as I would at sea level. Cant say I've noticed A difference in taste, but then again I've not brewed at sea level in years. I'll be interested if you find a noticable difference in taste from the same beer brewed at sea level and at 8000 feet.

Back