brewing an orval

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobrich

Reaction score
ok so I am done the first stage and the fermentation is 9 days old with no bubbling out of my bobblers. So I have to add the Brettomyces. Would it be better to get this going in a starter? or just drop it in to the beer and wait.
I would prefer to accelerate things (in hopes it is ready for Christmas) but i do not want to risk the beer. So I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance:mug:

I've never used brett myself but I understand it can take quite a while to develop the desired flavor. Not sure about the starter though. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

noobrich said:
ok so I am done the first stage and the fermentation is 9 days old with no bubbling out of my bobblers. So I have to add the Brettomyces. Would it be better to get this going in a starter? or just drop it in to the beer and wait.
I would prefer to accelerate things (in hopes it is ready for Christmas) but i do not want to risk the beer. So I thought I would ask.

It will most certainly NOT be ready by Christmas. At least not Christmas 2012.

Transfer it to secondary and just dump your brett in. It will take a while to ferment.

No way will it be done by Christmas. Bret can take months to finish.. Even a beer with no bret will not be done by Christmas.

Save it for next Christmas.

I have a Orval clone that has been in the bottle for 9 months at cellar temps. It has changed a little sampling here and there. I thought it was becoming oxidized . I had a friend who is a brewer at a local brewpub try it and he said it's the brett starting to come through. I think you should allow a good year for this beer to develop. But yes, drop it in and wait. I dont think you can rush brett.

Yeah that's exactly what I experienced 5 years a ago while brewing a Lambic. That is what I planned on doing and these posts confirm this is the best approach.

Thanks for the help everyone! The pale ale is ready for Christmas so all is well!

Latest posts

Back