Brewie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On another note..... what is the latest version of the firmware. I haven't brewed since March I didn't even have time to run it to see if there was an update. I am still running 3.1.1 and have, so far, had no problems with it.

3.1.1 was the latest public version. 3.1.2 was the most recent beta release with way more features.

Attachments

• 2CC84838-BF99-4F51-97B5-5F02EBACA34B.jpeg
    2CC84838-BF99-4F51-97B5-5F02EBACA34B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 143
So 3.1.2 never made it out of beta

I did a bunch of searching in the Budapest local news for some kind of hint about what happened to the company and I found nothing. Thought about emailing a Budapest beer festival scheduled for next year and see if anyone knew anything. Looks like Brewie was to be a sponsor for it because their logo came up on their website during my search.

Hello All,
I hope it is OK to step in. I was desperately looking for information about brewie and well, only here I could find something.
Yes I also believe there is something wrong with them. I do have two machines, a B20, one of the very first, serial number 38 and a B20+
So far I only had small issues, except the B20 which had a lot of infantile diseases which I could all fix locally on my own. I would say I do have some experience with the devices and many (50+) successful brews.
I just want to join this group to stay in touch. By the way I live in Germany.
Also I was in contact with Marcel Pall (CEO of Brewie) multiple times on the phone since the very beginning. He does not answer the phone since approx three weeks which really makes me feel they do not exist anymore. Usually he was responsive even though he mostly handed me (and my issues) to other people in his company.
I fully agree we all need to make something out of this and at least try to get access to drawings, schematics and source code. Parts of course are a vital element to keep the machines up and running.
Just as FYI, I have never participated in any forum so please excuse me being potentially a bit clumsy, and I'm not an English native speaker.
I keep trying to call Marcel and I I succeed I let you know of course.
I'm committed to help to get this going somehow.

Would be great if you have the chance to get schematic, source code and stuff like that. I'm happy to support here as I have experience in software and mechanical development.

Folks, I did optimize the PDF and now it could be uploaded, attached is the latest recipe guide.

Firmware: 3.1.1. is the latest official release. I run this on my B20+. Approx. 6 weeks ago I got 3.1.2 loaded to my B20. I was in contact with Brewie and they told me that 3.1.2 is not officially released. Reason is that on some machines it does "...crazy things" which they could not find the root cause. I was asking for a potential roll back to 3.0 which was on my B20 before. They let me know that this would not be a problem to roll back. However it worked and so I kept the 3.1.2. (would be too late for roll back now anyway)

The second file I upload is really interesting. I did compile it from their website, the link was emailed to me since I could not find it otherwise.
So I did copy it page by page and created this document hoping it is readable.
It pretty much explains the functionality and gives good insight of the flow schematics. Running in developer mode is a valuable option.
There is also a short procedure on how to get into developer mode.

Hope this information helps to better understand the machine.

Attachments

• Brewie_UltimateRecipeGuide_Jun-2019.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 126
  • FUNCTIONAL TESTS ON BREWIE USING THE DEVELOPER MODE.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 156
  • Introduction to Developer Mode.pdf
    186.1 KB · Views: 128
Would be great if you have the chance to get schematic, source code and stuff like that. I'm happy to support here as I have experience in software and mechanical development.
The circuit boards are fairly easy to follow, I did a repair on one of mine, you can see what I did on one of mine while I was waiting for a new one to arrive. I apparently put a nick in one when I was doing my fan mod. You can find both the repair and the fan mod earlier in this thread some time around January 2019.

The part numbers I found on the circuit board components and looked up were common parts easily obtained from Amazon or others. I had a nick that went to the audrino chip and told it to allow for new firmware. That is to the best of my recollection I would have to go back and look at my notes and emails from Brewie to be 100%.
20190208_150103.jpg

I looked at the picture (above) February 8th was my repair on the board pictured. Re repair is next to the 8 pin chip in the upper right between pin 1 an d 2 that wire runs to the ARM on pin 2 if I remember and then to the "ARM Reset" jumper in the lower center.

I was able to pull up the BeerSmith Brewie equipment profile.

Beersmith and Brewie

Beersmith, as a widely known digital tool for brewing is getting more and more popular among homebrewers. With its database, an infinite number of beer recipes can be remade, customized or designed from scrap.

To appropriately use Beersmith, however, users need many details about their equipment from the size of its starting batch to any loss of water it produces. So, to have a recipe adjusted to Brewie, you will need to previously add these details.
To save Brewie as a standard brewing device, you have to open the Insert/Equipment wizard or the Insert/Add equipment menu. Whichever you choose, you have to fill in the following questions:

Batch volume: The amount of the batch left before fermentation depends on the recipe, the added water during the brewing and the boil off (which depends on the position of the lids). If the maximum amount of water was added, it’s 23 liters (27 liters of water is being used overall).

Fermenter Loss: This depends on mainly your own fermenting equipment, so we advise to conduct measures with a previously tested recipe.

Top Up Water: Again, this is your own setting: if you wish to add water to the pre-fermentation wort, fill it with the appropriate amount.

Loss to Trub and Chiller: If you use only the standard draining, which leaves sediment at the bottom of the boiling tank, about 3l of wort will remain. If you choose drain all, you can salvage all the loss, leaving 0l in the tank.

Boil time: It is absolutely recipe-dependent - you can boil for 20 minutes as well as 120 minutes.

Boil Off: With closed lids, Brewie boils away about 2 litres of water (about 13% to be more specific) - if the lids are open, it can go up to 4l.

Large Batch Hop Util: Since Brewie has a less than 76L volume, you should leave it at 100%.

Whirlpool Time: This is also recipe-dependent. In case of a Rusty Rex, the temperature is above 85C for 15+30+3 minutes.

Brewhouse Efficiency: This also depends on the actual recipe - it varies between 62-72%.

Mash Tun Volume: The mashing tank's volume is 27 liters, while to boiling tank's is 23 liters. However, you should prepare your recipe to not exceed 22 liters with adding the malt and the mashing water.

Mash Tun Weight: Since the Brewie is an unseparable brewing device, the weight of the mashing tun is insignificant.

Mash Tun Specific Heat: With Brewie’s stainless steel frame, this is 0,12 Cal/gram-deg C.

Mash Tun Addition: This is absolutely your call: if you wish to fill up the tanks, there’s no technical obstacle to do this, but you have to take care not - it shouldn’t spill over!

The data regarding the mash tune are approximates with a 0,5-1 kg or liter margin.

Lauter Tun Losses: About 1 liter for every kg of malt used.

Hi Folks,

I did find this very interesting site
https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/217170/brief/en
It is about an EU funded project to develop a bar or restaurant size machine. Really a very cool set up. So they intended to move on much bigger. Maybe the went there too fast and working on too many projects simultaneously just killed them.

Yeah, this sucks. Looks like funding ran out last fall. Too bad they didn't ask for help I would gladly forked over a few bucks to keep development going. The Brewie is by far the most complete and most automated system available. I have been looking for the info for the repair center here in the states so I can post it here for people not willing to work on their own.

My wife is already asking what I want to get next, I told here that there was nothing that compares to the Brewie...... maybe in a few years there will be.

Despite the flaws it has for the 120v system I have been thinking about getting a second one. I can do the modifications necessary to make it a functional machine only problem is that they don't come with the latest firmware installed and without the knowledge to update it, it would be a pointless endevor.

Isn’t that just as easy as swapping out the SD card with the latest version?

I'm not sure the B+ has an SD card. I didn't disassemble the front of the Brewie where the screen is when I had it apart. It is definitly not on the other boards. If it does have an SD card it would be as simple as removing it and copying the contents of another one to it.

On another note.... Has anyone that does facepage or some other social media looked to see if they can get in touch with Marcell Pal, Máté Kuna, Andrew Winter, Attila Szegedi, András Tel or any of the others that ran the company?
I have Máté's personal email address but it is a at brewie.org so it's not working anymore either.

Here is Marcell Pal's LinkedIn profile if anyone is on that. https://www.linkedin.com/in/marcell-pal-21904542
I saw Kuna and Tel on there also.

Last edited:
I got out of brewing a few years ago mostly due to time constraints. Have been passively watching the automated brew systems. Pico C looks somewhat interesting at $249, but it looks like the manual setting is pretty manual. At that price I would get a mash and boil instead. Pico z and brewie at full retail is more than I would want to spend.

These $249 Ebay brewies are extremely tempting, especially if you could manage to get one that was scratched or dented but otherwise unused. So questions I have if anyone knows:

• Will these come with all of the hoses and accessories?
  • What knowledge and tools will I need to maintain or fix the b20? I assume at least a soldering iron
  • Has anyone been able to figure out how to extract the update code so that it could be added to b20 by a sd card?
I like the idea of brewing 2 to 5 gallon batches, so this would be perfect.

Thanks for pointing out the eBay Brewie's. You will also need high temp wire and I would do the fan mod found earlier in this thread. I would try to find out if the B+ uses an SD card befor purchasing though. The older versions of the firmware always had an issue or two that would make things difficult.

High temp wire, spade connectors, screw driver, metric socket (can't remember what size) and that's about it unless you do the fan mod then you will need soldering iron, 2 fans, tin snips, electrical tape or heat shrink tubing, 2 pin fan connectors and a few self drilling sheet metal screws or a drill and some self tapping machine screws. I used the machine screws.

I'm not terribly surprised if they went out of business. They put the machine out with lots of problems, started out with terrible customer service. And never fully fixed the machine. I hope for the sake of the owners that someone picks up on at least the software for the machine. I'm sure there is someone who could work on it.

I'm not sure the B+ has an SD card. I didn't disassemble the front of the Brewie where the screen is when I had it apart. It is definitly not on the other boards. If it does have an SD card it would be as simple as removing it and copying the contents of another one to it.

It does- see attached. This is for B+ they sent this to me first before they sent me the B20 instructions.

Attachments

• [E119] Front panel.pdf
    365.8 KB · Views: 120
Nate beat me to it. The SD card is on the front panel. If you check out the link on page 49 to the google drive, it has all the software you need to flash a card and install new versions. I am going to back up my 3.1.2 on two different cards so I will have them if anything goes wrong with the software.

I would love to find a B+ on eBay and fix it up for the right price, it just looks like the current inventory is B20s.

@Still Brewin, I messaged Marcell on LinkedIn last week and never got a response. Most of the team are on LinkedIn, but I imagine nobody is communicating with the general public about this.

That BrewiePro setup looks awesome..... too bad they never got there..

Sorry, haven't been following. How do you put new firmware on the brewie? I understand it self updates via WiFi, but if there is no server, how is it done locally? What/where is this google drive noted above?

NVM: Found it. Looks like they are using standard Arduino code on the micro that runs the brewie. Assuming the hardware could be serviced indefinitely, the software wouldn't be that hard to develop, though I'm not sure its worth the effort.

Last edited:
If anybody has the Brewie+ 3.1.2 beta I would love to get a copy to load on my machine. You can just strip out your serial from the config file to make a clean copy. I pulled my card and created a clean copy of 3.1.1 if anybody needs it.

BTW You can SCP into the machine to see the whole file system.
IP address: Port 22
User name: root
Password: terminatorottvagymeg

Damn! You guys are on the ball! I would love to get version 3.1.2 also and before I do anymore brewing I think I will copy the SD card in my machine.

Couple of questions though

You can SCP into the machine to see the whole file system.
Not sure what SCP means.

Can this be done on an android phone/tablet? we haven't used a windows computer in our house since 2011 since I have been able to figure ways to do everything with various tablets/phones.

If anybody has the Brewie+ 3.1.2 beta I would love to get a copy to load on my machine. You can just strip out your serial from the config file to make a clean copy. I pulled my card and created a clean copy of 3.1.1 if anybody needs it.

I have the B20 and I tired this password, but it did not work. Does anyone have the password for the B20?

Gardiner,

One of the guys on the Facebook thread is uploading his 3.1.2 betas for both B20 and B+. He just wants to scrub his serial number and info from the upload first. I’ll be sure to post the files as soon as I get it.

I have this feeling that they are washing their hands of the Brewie and will start a new company with what would have been the Brewie Pro, if there was such a thing. If they don't all that r&d will have gone to waste. That or they are trying to sell the company outright. If they just let it die it will be very disappointing.

Will have to keep an eye on the LinkedIn profiles to see what changes.....

There are rumors that some people have the 3.1.3 beta.... Facebook group is trying to source it and provide a copy.

I just re-connected my Brewie to the internet and it seems to be doing fine. It searched for updates (real fast progress bar) then the screen quickly reset and went to the animated Brewie logo. I’m hoping that backing up my firmware could provide protection against any rouge transmissions in case I need to reload to the current version. I like having the mobile app to monitor the brew.

Nate beat me to it. The SD card is on the front panel. If you check out the link on page 49 to the google drive, it has all the software you need to flash a card and install new versions. I am going
Anyone know what size of SD card should be used and what type.... standard, mini or micro and what speed?

• Brewie Support, Monday 03. December 2018. 17:25
    We use Kingston 16GB Micro SD cards.

Máté
  • Nate R, Monday 03. December 2018. 16:49
    Mate- I can do this.
    What brand, or speed, of SD card is needed? Is it a MICRO SD, or
    REGULAR SD card?

It looks like the credentials above only works for B20 but not for B20+. Does anyone have credentials for B20+?

I'm interested in a copy of 3.1.1. can you pls share it?

$250 is not a horrible price for:

2 SS kettles, 2 boil elements, 2 brew pumps, 1 heat exchanger (CFC), and 6 solenoids. If I could use it with another controller like CraftbeerPi it'd be worth it for me.

Back