Brewie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What happened #2. An alien in the Brewie?

The Rusty Rex have somehow, seem to me, become their Brewie's no 1. Then it must be good or...?
This brew has nailed into my brain, so I just had to try it, and today I brewed it - had the ingredients at home (ordered some after the Brewie purchase, and had it home).

This was not my best brew day, for sure.
Milled, measured, kicked everything on. This time I would let Brewie be an automatic machine - no poking etc. and just walk away (ok I had to be there first hour to add acids for the pH) - we got quite hard water (and yet not into RO).
1. Had my second boil over today (the first was on my first pad with Brewie).
2. The machine was a mess today (you know how it looks).
3. But after the drain, I saw that the hop cage #4 was still full. What???
4. OG was between 1.040 and 1.041 - so spot on (calculated it to be 41) for the recipe.
5. Started to do quick clean, me cleaning, to get rid of this mess.
6. Forgot to put the hose in the sink - Do ya feel where this is coming…. : - )
7. Quick Clean uses more water than you think. My bucket flooded, unfortunately too late. Ended up with a beer below 2% (we will see how it ends up).

But what about hop cage #4?
After boil over mess, I entered the Dev Mode. Cleaned the mash tun and #1-3 hop cages (had #4 on all the time but noting happened).
Started to flush it with water to clean it up.
Rocking pump on/off, hop cage #4 on of etc. it suddenly happeded some thing. I started to work again.
BUT WHAT IS THIS!!!
Out through the small hole an alien shoot out.

Here is where I need your help!
What is this, where did it come from? This is was I came up with:
1. Where did it come from (which solar system in outer space)?
2. If Brewie had a competition, about to find a mini-dildo - then I won it.
(for the compare I used a Wyeast yeast xxx tube)
If the perspective isn't there, then be sure. This little alien is much bigger than the hole.
3. My brother put it there.
4. Or: Is this a feature that I missed in the machine?
5. Does it spell CaeOut or CameOut (or am I inventing a new language)? I.e.: Or I'm just tricking You all. This have never happened (unfortunately not)!

Attachments

• Hop4_CaeOut.JPG
    Hop4_CaeOut.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Hop4_Stuck.JPG
    Hop4_Stuck.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I sanitize also but I don't mind the extra effort on a hose that has been flopping around on the counter for 5+ hours.
I have dumped on a fresh yeast cake once and had no problem with it. I can't say that would always be the case but for me it turned out ok. If you are really worried about it take a container and run the hop chambers into it and add it to the fermenter whil the boil kettle is draining or take a sanitized container and take a scoop of cooled wort and add it to the fermenter before you start draining.

(Re-reading the last pages)
As usual, You have some very good ideas - thanks! Sometimes too simple ideas is too hard to think of/come up with. But when they are scratching the surface, everyone know "why didn't I think of that - it is so/too simple".

Seems like everyone have died here. Probably like I will do one day.
I came up with this - causes:
1. Everyone has no problems anymore with the machine - hurray.
2. You don't have time to brew with Brewie, it takes too long time... to do all the manual steps you have added during the brewing.
3. You spend to much time on Facebook.
4. Your aliens (built in), popped up a week ago and ate you (but I luckily survived).
5. Your second half is pissed of again (probably because of #2 or #3).
6. I have too many misspelled words in my previous posts, so you can't anymore read this thread.
7. You are brewing constantly, right now, and don't have the time.

Cheers mates. And I'm thankfully for all of your advices and knowledge, so far.

That is a sediment clog from a tube.

Do a few sanitizing cleans followed by some quick cleans.

They seem to have fixed the serious problems with the machine. IMO, way late. I would be pissed if I got an early one.

But, for an automated system it seems like you need to work on cleaning and watching over it even more than a traditional brew system.

Hey Guys,

I have a brand new B20 Brewie and everything on it seems to work except it will not drain out the port in the back where the wort should drain out. The pumps run but I think the valve is stuck. Does anyone have any experience with fixing this issue? I've already emailed Brewie so waiting to hear from them

Hey Guys,

I have a brand new B20 Brewie and everything on it seems to work except it will not drain out the port in the back where the wort should drain out. The pumps run but I think the valve is stuck. Does anyone have any experience with fixing this issue? I've already emailed Brewie so waiting to hear from them
Just in case anyone else has this issue, email [email protected] and in a few hours you'll get a very helpful response. Basically, I gave my serial # for my Brewie B20 and the developers pushed the 3.1.2 software update to my machine, giving me access to the "morecontrol" developer section. From there I determined that I did not have a faulty pump or faulty valve and that the silicone tubing was likely stuck together. Shot a little air (20psi or less) directly up the outlet hole in the back after having activated the outlet valve and in 2sec I had water flowing out. Problem solved! Thanks Brewie!

Have been too busy to brew/drink beer or even get time to check out the forum. Have been working on my yard between the storms and helping a neighbor remove about a dozen trees from his property. All the while remodeling one of our bedrooms before my oldest goes on leave and comes home for a few weeks in Aug for a couple of weddings..... 2 of them on the same day and I still need to brew a beer or 2 for one of them. Thank goodness for the Brewie!

That is a sediment clog from a tube.

Do a few sanitizing cleans followed by some quick cleans.

Ok, so this is some built up, from previous brewing then. Thanks for your knowledge/information.
But also same time, think that Brewie should prevent such in its cleaning cycles.
Use at least two quick cleans directly after a brew.

During ownership done one full clean, and the water came out brownish (after a stout made), so it was a good one to do. But:
Today I made a new full clean (it was time again), but it didn't seems to work at all.
The dishwasher tablets was still in the two first cages. And Brewie had a green "done/finish", more than one hour before expected (yes I know the time 3h is more like 2 1/2). Run it again, and had the same result.
Before I left the machine I started a sanitizing clean (the two dishw-tabs was still in). Let's see how it looks tomorrow....

It is bad that Brewie stops after xx minutes, and ask for the DW-tablets. Nothing indicates it should, and less "when to expect it in time". This must be a simple think to add to SW: In xx minutes I will ask for your help with dw-tabs.

Last edited:
Ok, so this is some built up, from previous brewing then. Thanks for your knowledge/information.
But also same time, think that Brewie should prevent such in its cleaning cycles.
Use at least two quick cleans directly after a brew.

During ownership done one full clean, and the water came out brownish (after a stout made), so it was a good one to do. But:
Today I made a new full clean (it was time again), but it didn't seems to work at all.
The dishwasher tablets was still in the two first cages. And Brewie had a green "done/finish", more than one hour before expected (yes I know the time 3h is more like 2 1/2). Run it again, and had the same result.
Before I left the machine I started a sanitizing clean (the two dishw-tabs was still in). Let's see how it looks tomorrow....

It is bad that Brewie stops after xx minutes, and ask for the DW-tablets. Nothing indicates it should, and less "when to expect it in time". This must be a simple think to add to SW: In xx minutes I will ask for your help with dw-tabs.

Another tip on cleaning cycle, first off full clean right after brewing, don't let it sit around...also try this (learned from experience with dish washer for a spotless wash) Unless you have PERFECT PH water, one cup of vinegar added to boil tank when is ask to load the tabs, I also do a sani clean before each brew since my brews are about two weeks apart

Question for you all with the Arofab grain baskets... i am on the fence abiut buying one. $180 or so with delivery... kinda pricey. I like to idea of not having to measure grain for two bags, then having to clean each bag... but it sounds like it might boost efficiency up say 5-10%? But also increases chances for a stuck sparge right? Are these numbers correct?
What are some other benefits you are getting from the basket? I read somebody uses it for whirlpooling which seems smart.
Finally i think 600 is better than 400 right? And 600 is bigger then 400 correct?
Thanks all!!

Question for you all with the Arofab grain baskets... i am on the fence abiut buying one. $180 or so with delivery... kinda pricey. I like to idea of not having to measure grain for two bags, then having to clean each bag... but it sounds like it might boost efficiency up say 5-10%? But also increases chances for a stuck sparge right? Are these numbers correct?
What are some other benefits you are getting from the basket? I read somebody uses it for whirlpooling which seems smart.
Finally i think 600 is better than 400 right? And 600 is bigger then 400 correct?
Thanks all!!

The quality of the Arborfab basket is pretty impressive. I had a long conversation with the owner and the price reflects the quality of the craftsmanship. The welds are solid and superior to anything from China, so I am happy with the product. 600 is my recommendation, and yes, that is slightly bigger and better flow than the 400.

http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/blog/stainless-steel-micron-rating-examples/

I have been using the basket now on all of my brews and it makes the cleanup process a lot easier. I dump the grains in a contractor bag after brew, hose out the remaining particles in my slop sink and then put the basket (along with the hop cages) in my dishwasher. 5 mins, very simple cleanup.

For brewday, I gently stir at mash in and then at the beginning of the sparge with a brewing spoon to make sure all of the grains are spread out evenly with no dough balls. The basket has increased my efficiency, but not by a superior amount. I would say it makes my efficiency numbers more consistent.

And yes, you can use the basket for whirlpooling hops, or any additional hops you may want to add beyond the 4 cages. Pretty genius in my opinion.

The quality of the Arborfab basket is pretty impressive. I had a long conversation with the owner and the price reflects the quality of the craftsmanship. The welds are solid and superior to anything from China, so I am happy with the product. 600 is my recommendation, and yes, that is slightly bigger and better flow than the 400.

http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/blog/stainless-steel-micron-rating-examples/

I have been using the basket now on all of my brews and it makes the cleanup process a lot easier. I dump the grains in a contractor bag after brew, hose out the remaining particles in my slop sink and then put the basket (along with the hop cages) in my dishwasher. 5 mins, very simple cleanup.

For brewday, I gently stir at mash in and then at the beginning of the sparge with a brewing spoon to make sure all of the grains are spread out evenly with no dough balls. The basket has increased my efficiency, but not by a superior amount. I would say it makes my efficiency numbers more consistent.

And yes, you can use the basket for whirlpooling hops, or any additional hops you may want to add beyond the 4 cages. Pretty genius in my opinion.
Thank you for that. I know if i do get a basket i am going with arborfab since you worked out all the kinks and he was willing to do this.
I like the idea of consistency- major reason i got the Brewie.
Now i just have to justify the extra spend...
Wish someone on the site would have mentioned how this hobby can add up fa$t!!! Lol.

Final Q- lid? I dont think i see a need for it but how likely is the grain to float up? I would hate to clog the Brewie!!

Thank you for that. I know if i do get a basket i am going with arborfab since you worked out all the kinks and he was willing to do this.
Wish someone on the site would have mentioned how this hobby can add up fa$t!!! Lol.

Final Q- lid? I dont think i see a need for it but how likely is the grain to float up? I would hate to clog the Brewie!!

No lid for me, but your call of course.

FWIW, I had the Arborfab basket for the Zymatic, and loved it -- but the lid was virtually a requirement. If the basket extends past the top of the wort (ie - will never be fully submerged) then the lid would be unnecessary, but so long as the wort level can rise past the grain, you run the risk of grain escaping.

FWIW, I had the Arborfab basket for the Zymatic, and loved it -- but the lid was virtually a requirement. If the basket extends past the top of the wort (ie - will never be fully submerged) then the lid would be unnecessary, but so long as the wort level can rise past the grain, you run the risk of grain escaping.
Thank you! That is very helpful!

I have the basket and no lid and never had the mash close to overflowing the basket.

Hello all. New to this forum but I have had some serious issues with my Brewie 20+. On the 7th brew one of the heater wires burned up completely ruining the heating element and all associated wiring back to the control board. I contacted brewie and they gave me instructions on how to take the machine apart and asked for my address along with serial number so they could send me replacement parts. That was a month ago and after repeatedly trying to contact them I get no response. Now I am asking them for a refund with no response. My machine has been down for a total of 3 months at this point. Can anyone help me get in contact with the right person at Brewie to resolve this mess?

Did you put in a ticket with Brewie? If so look on the Brewie Owners Facebook page for help. Máté has always been fast with help. He helped me with a clogged pump and a screen that died because of a boil over.

[email protected]

Máté is the contact

Check in with him, always had good and fast replies, am sure he can followup on if your stuff was shipped....old guy here I don't do facebook just emails so that addy worked for me, remember these guys are small and on the other side of the world, I do a bit of sales to Europe and there have been times when my shipments are "In-route" for over 30 days but mostly 2weeks on average

I had a 600 is my recommendation, and yes, that is slightly bigger and better flow than the 400.

Did you have any concern about the 600 being too large and letting stuff get through and clogging the machine? How many brews have you done with the 600? How fine do you mill the grain?

I want a basket but don't know which micron mesh to get.

I would definitely go for the 600. The small particles it would let through should just be pumped up to the top and filterd out there during the mash and mashout.

I have two hopspiders. One original Jack, which has larger mesh-size, and one which is very fine, better designed for my kettle, though.
The Jack can easily be cleaned up, and still looks new and fresh after some years. But the finer one looks much worse after only one, two times used.

Did you have any concern about the 600 being too large and letting stuff get through and clogging the machine? How many brews have you done with the 600? How fine do you mill the grain?

I want a basket but don't know which micron mesh to get.

I tested the 400 and 600 baskets from Arborfab. I still recommend the 600, no
issues, better flow and easier cleanup.

Hello all. New to this forum but I have had some serious issues with my Brewie 20+. On the 7th brew one of the heater wires burned up completely ruining the heating element and all associated wiring back to the control board. I contacted brewie and they gave me instructions on how to take the machine apart and asked for my address along with serial number so they could send me replacement parts. That was a month ago and after repeatedly trying to contact them I get no response. Now I am asking them for a refund with no response. My machine has been down for a total of 3 months at this point. Can anyone help me get in contact with the right person at Brewie to resolve this mess?
@Pureown- any word? I have found that since Brewie is overseas (Hungary i think?) Communication is slow based on time zones. I have had 2 separate issues (each documented on this thread) but both resolved with minimal effort from me. I hope you have heard back already.

@Pureown- any word? I have found that since Brewie is overseas (Hungary i think?) Communication is slow based on time zones. I have had 2 separate issues (each documented on this thread) but both resolved with minimal effort from me. I hope you have heard back already.

my last trouble ticket took 9 days to get a reply from Brewie. By then i had the unit returned and got my money back . its a shame, the machine is awesome when it works

my last trouble ticket took 9 days to get a reply from Brewie. By then i had the unit returned and got my money back . its a shame, the machine is awesome when it works
Bummer. Sorry to hear that.
Where did u buy from? Morebeer? Amazon? Glad you could return it.
When it works it rocks!

If anyone is looking for a refurbished unit they have one on Amazon for $950. Nothing in the description about how it is refurbished (replaced wires etc) but for that price you can do the replacement yourself and have money left for a number of brews along with a keg setup.

Well just pulled the trigger on the Arborfab Brewie Basket. 600 Micron. Got the lid too since shipping was the same. I think I am as excited about using it on the boil side for extra hop additions (going to try a MoreBeer Sculpin clone soon- way too many hops for the standard 4 cages) as I am for using it on the grain side.
I will report back once I use it, but much thanks @HarkinBanks & all for the suggestions.

Well just pulled the trigger on the Arborfab Brewie Basket. 600 Micron. Got the lid too since shipping was the same. I think I am as excited about using it on the boil side for extra hop additions (going to try a MoreBeer Sculpin clone soon- way too many hops for the standard 4 cages) as I am for using it on the grain side.
I will report back once I use it, but much thanks @HarkinBanks & all for the suggestions.
Looking forward to hearing the results!

I’m also excited about using my basket for the whirlpool addition hops. Correct me if I’m wrong, but scorching will occur if the basket is in the boil side during the actual boil. I placed my hop spider in the boil side for the last 5min to sanitize and had some scorching at the bottom of the tank...fortunately I didn’t notice it in the taste of the beer. Next time I’m going to just drop the basket right when the boil ends when still at/near boiling temps.

I’m also excited about using my basket for the whirlpool addition hops. Correct me if I’m wrong, but scorching will occur if the basket is in the boil side during the actual boil. I placed my hop spider in the boil side for the last 5min to sanitize and had some scorching at the bottom of the tank...fortunately I didn’t notice it in the taste of the beer. Next time I’m going to just drop the basket right when the boil ends when still at/near boiling temps.

You shouldn't get any scorching unless the basket is sitting on the heat source. The boil should swirl the hops the whole time.

If you only add hops after the boil has ended you are limiting your options. I do 60 minute, skip to 15 minutes or less to get flavor and aroma I may have a 15, 10 and 5 minute addition. Then depending on what I want, flameout, whirlpool, maybe even 2 different whirlpool temperature stands, then sometimes dry hops.

Isn’t the heat source directly under the bottom? I got scorching by placing my wire mesh hop basket (not my grain basket) directly on the bottom for 5min without anything in it.

Would the scorching, if it occurs, come from the metal on metal contact OR from the hop material? Or both?

Would adding a plate on the bottom- like the mash tun side false bottom- help?

I could see dropping the false bottom on the boils side before the cage goes in.

Yes, My guess is it’s from the superheating of the wort under the mesh that is around 1/8” above the bottom, not hop material. That said, my guess is that hop material would make it worse if the heater is on and the basket is sitting directly on the bottom. I think my hop basket is a finer mesh than my grain basket which may have some impact. False bottom should prevent this from happening. I use most of my large hop additions at flameout and whirlpool so at that point the heater isn’t on. I’ve never had scorching happen when the hop basket is put in at flameout.

Last edited:
I think my hop basket is a finer mesh than my grain basket which may have some impact.

I want to order a mesh basket for hops and get the same size mesh as the hop cages. How does your hop basket mesh compare to the hop cages? What size mesh is your grain basket since you said it was not as fine.

My mash basket is 600 micron,larger holes than the standard 400 mash baskets and finer than the hop cages. My hop basket is likely 300 or 400 micron. I bought it for my eBIAB setup...it one that hangs on the side of the kettle l that you can find pretty much anywhere.

Since the basket basically fills the entire space of the boil side I don’t expect mesh size to make much difference other than the amount of particles that make it into the fermenter. If I were to have one made I would have some small legs incorporated to keep the basket off the bottom.

I haven’t used the mash basket for hopping on the boil side yet but plan to on my next brew.

Last edited:
Back