Brewie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am frustrated with the delays and have concerns, but not sure you have the latest information. They are not in development. From the last update:

"We received the DVT units from our manufacturer. DVT stands for Design Validation Test and it is the process where we build various units before finalizing tooling to check if the machines meet all functional and appearance requirements. The machines passed all functional and preliminary certification tests meaning that the process to acquire the required certifications is on track."​

At this point they are ready for pilot production and delayed by a supplier. My biggest gripe is that they want to provide big, formal communications. I think a steady, informal dialogue would help greatly. I'd love to hear more about how the brew process is working on the pilot machines (utilization, hopping techniques, etc.) and what issues they are still trying to improve on. It would also be good to know if there are any upsides to the delays on tooling side- i.e. will that allow any software driven enhancements to be included (probably wishful thinking).

If they are still testing prototypes and have not finalized tooling, they ARE still in development.

If they haven't made the tooling and don't have certifications I can't see this being delivered in less than a couple more months.

Not that I am in the market for one.

I've seen dozens of different version of the product development lifecycle. Some would agree with your definition, others wouldn't so it isn't worth arguing. In this case, what is probably most helpful is to talk in terms of the development process Brewie has shared and the details of where they are in that process.
'm s

I'm sure glad that 1) I wouldn't want one anyway, 2) I couldn't justify the cost it even if I did want one. 2 years and several versions and it seems that they are still in development. IMO with all the problems people are having they don't really have a working product on the market.

Tested again today and the boil element is still on 100% when plugged in but the machine is completely off. I have to assume the SSR failed and the element has a direct feed to the power source. Not cool. Emailed Brewie and will see what they say this week. I think I may be done with this nonsense and ask for my money back. Looking into a Robobrew maybe. Pico seems overpriced for the amount of work that is still needed to brew.

To their credit, Balint, Marcel and my new friend Mate responded over the weekend. My B+ is being recalled back to the NJ repair center. I am waiting for UPS pickup. Mate is visiting the NJ repair center this week and wants to see the machine himself if they can send it back to him in time.

Kind of like ordering anything from China these days. They send a fake tracker, go get the product and then send it a week later under the same tracker. I’ve seen it on Alibaba recently.
this is big on ebay lately too... "free gifts" they call them... random junk sent out beforehand like christmas stockings.

Hello all on Home Brew Talk. I realize the 'danger' of making my first post here- please be kind!
#1- I am a "Real Boy!" I am not spam!
#2- I have been drinking beer for far too long!
#3- I have used this forum, along with others, to build a custom upright Keezer (to heck with kegerators and warm towers!)
#4- I have been reading More Beer, Northwestern, and William Brewing catalogs for years now- just have been hesitant to jump into home brewing as living in California affords me ample opportunities for professional great brew already. Even a good startup extract kit will come in about $300-$500!
#5- Just picked up a Brewie B20 machine for pennies ($399.00 plus shipping- like $450 total) from a More Beer Super Deal (did anyone else catch that maybe mistake on Monday 6/18/18?!?!?)
#6- Any advice here? I just ordered the Blichman Cornical as it seems like the best deal- get a stainless chonical AND keg for $500? Allows for hot wort transfer and only about $175 for a new keg add-on?

I plan to take it slow- turn on the B20, make sure the updates are current, and, start with a brewie pack to ensure all bases are covered. Does anyone have any experience with the new Cornical? How does one dry hop in it? Does the B20 allow for dry hopping? What about adding Oxygen? Do you need to apply CO2, or will the yeast in primary fermentation provide the CO2 pressure?

Thank you all in advance!

Nate R
Hello all!
So update here: fired the Brewie up, made sure the software uodated a few times, ran a clean cycle, then threw in a brewie brew pad and crossed my fingers...
It was Awesome! Full boil (like, a rolling boil!), and so easy! Clean up is an art- i ran a second clean cycle to get it all (the trick is to use a sponge on a stick for the hop ports and use the hot water in the brewie).

I have my fingers crossed all has turned out well. Note- the false bottom was bent a bit! I also noticed a "burn ring" on the mash tun but it came out with a soft sponge.

For my first batch ever and $425 on an electric biab system i am happy so far!

Put the wort into a blichmann cornical... anybody experiment with one of thoose yet? Using a blow off tube to help remove the krausen so when i flip it over its not in the keg. (Did a "call me grainy" pad with Stefon yeast from Imperial Organic.) I am worried about the Oxygen levels... think i may need to add more next time.

@Nate R - what was your efficiency?

I just ordered a robobrew v3, will be here next wed. I am still waiting for Brewie to pick up my broken unit.

I just ordered a robobrew v3, will be here next wed. I am still waiting for Brewie to pick up my broken unit.

I used a Brewie Pad- "Call me Grainy" so I do not know (or do not know where to get) the exact grain bill to determine.
My initial gravity was 1.0465.

Let me know how the roborew works- I looked at those, too- I am just hoping my Brewie hangs on since it is so easy- especially the cleaning!

I used a Brewie Pad- "Call me Grainy" so I do not know (or do not know where to get) the exact grain bill to determine.
My initial gravity was 1.0465.

Let me know how the roborew works- I looked at those, too- I am just hoping my Brewie hangs on since it is so easy- especially the cleaning!

Call me Grainy is 13.875 lbs of grain into a total water volume of 7.2 gallons. Post mash that is 5.54 gallons, factoring in absorption. Assuming you had about a 1.039 or 1.040 pre boil gravity, that means your efficiency was about 42-43%. This recipe targets a 6% ABV beer; you will end up with about a 4.5% ABV beer.

My robobrew comes on Wed from morebeer and I have their Pliny kit coming with it. I'm very excited to test it out next weekend. I built a similar system almost 10 years ago and sold it for brewie, worst brewing decision of my life.

Ok- just did my second batch. Used a MoreBeer Hop Blonde Kit. 8# American Pale, 1# White Wheat, 1#Crystal 10L, and 0.5# Crystal 15L (note- the kit does not come with the 0.5# of Crystal 15L. Let's say this was a "happy accident" for now!)

According to an old grain table I found ( http://beersmith.com/Grains/Grains/GrainList.htm ) I calculated the potential gravity (288+40+35+17.5)/5=72.6. Took my first reading of 1.0445 (adjusted for temp).

Mind you- this is on a $15 brewmaster thermometer, so there is bound to be some rounding errors.

Also- guys- gotta say- this thing is pretty awesome!
I "made" my own recipe today- you enter grains, hops, AA%, etc- this thing gives you an approximate IBU! The interface is kind of slow and frustrating, but overall- WOW!

Let's just hope it does not crap out in the next couple of brews!

@HarkinBanks , I had opted for no upgrade to the B+ and fought for a refund. This was just about the time you also were fighting for your return of the original unit.
When I got my refund, I opted to go with an induction burner of 1800 watts and a 10 gallon SS kettle for sparging water and a Robobrew V3. I have made more batches (10) on this new setup since dumping the Brewie 1.0 (only 3) in the same amount of time of owning the unit before it haywired on me. I am quite satisfied and happy with the Robobrew decision and fine great efficiency and tasty quality beer. I think you will be most pleased with the setup. Also, at a fraction of the Brewie cost!!

@HarkinBanks , I had opted for no upgrade to the B+ and fought for a refund. This was just about the time you also were fighting for your return of the original unit.
When I got my refund, I opted to go with an induction burner of 1800 watts and a 10 gallon SS kettle for sparging water and a Robobrew V3. I have made more batches (10) on this new setup since dumping the Brewie 1.0 (only 3) in the same amount of time of owning the unit before it haywired on me. I am quite satisfied and happy with the Robobrew decision and fine great efficiency and tasty quality beer. I think you will be most pleased with the setup. Also, at a fraction of the Brewie cost!!

Thanks for the info. From the online reviews, it appears Keg King got a lot of things right with the V3. Mine just got delivered today so I will test it out this weekend. What is your boiloff rate? That is the one piece of info I can't seem to find. I think it is .66 gal/hr, but will test it myself before I brew.

Back to Brewie, after another dozen emails, they finally sent me a return UPS label yesterday and I dropped it off last night at the UPS store. UPS tracker today says: "We've incorrectly sorted this package which may cause a delay." I can't win with this thing.

Got word from Brewie that my unit is fixed. The SSR blew and they replaced it. I am waiting for the unit to be shipped back to me now.

Tried the robobrew v3 this past weekend and it is pretty slick. It's not automated brewing by any stretch, but it is probably the best bang for your buck option for a single vessel mash and boil machine. The integrated pump worked flawlessly and made things really easy. I will keep it around even if my Brewie ever works consistently.

After 11 months of being with out my Brewie I received my Brewie Plus last week. had time to do my first brew today. Much to my surprise for the most part it worked right all the way through. I did only get 3.5 gallons but I probably just need to calibrate it. (hope I didn't just jinx the next brew)

After waiting 3+ months for my B20 to be fixed, they finally reached out and offered to send a new B20. I'm not sure why it took 3 months for them to figure out that mine was not salvageable, but whatever. I asked to wait a bit longer for a B+ but they said some ******** about 'fairness.' I figured a new B20 will at least have the full 18 month warranty and wasnt in the mood to fight harder as my unit never failed in a terrible/unsafe way. I have a feeling this one will meet the same fate as so many others and i will likely get a B+ eventually, or maybe even a B++ if it holds out long enough.

The good news is that i ran a batch yesterday and it actually achieved a rolling boil for maybe the first time since my very first run on the old one. It also seemed to do everything else that it should have. The bad news is that the efficiency is still around 51%. Oh well, i suppose now that life is busier these days I have less issue trading a few extra pounds of malt for a few hours of time as long as the beer still tastes delicious.

I'm glad you guys are happy with your new systems and at least have something to brew on these days. Happy brewing!

After waiting 3+ months for my B20 to be fixed, they finally reached out and offered to send a new B20. I'm not sure why it took 3 months for them to figure out that mine was not salvageable, but whatever. I asked to wait a bit longer for a B+ but they said some bullpoopy about 'fairness.' I figured a new B20 will at least have the full 18 month warranty and wasnt in the mood to fight harder as my unit never failed in a terrible/unsafe way. I have a feeling this one will meet the same fate as so many others and i will likely get a B+ eventually, or maybe even a B++ if it holds out long enough.

The good news is that i ran a batch yesterday and it actually achieved a rolling boil for maybe the first time since my very first run on the old one. It also seemed to do everything else that it should have. The bad news is that the efficiency is still around 51%. Oh well, i suppose now that life is busier these days I have less issue trading a few extra pounds of malt for a few hours of time as long as the beer still tastes delicious.

I'm glad you guys are happy with your new systems and at least have something to brew on these days. Happy brewing!

Has anyone had any success with #1- adding some DME to the boil, or #2- picking up the grain bag towards the end of sparge and squeezing some of the liquid out? I will try this #2 on my next brew, and might throw say a half pound of DME in the boil to help. I know this is not "all grain", but if you read some other threads some commercial craft breweries will do that as well to help boost the OG.

I have a zymatic and have used DME more than once to fix OG. I usually check at the last 15 min and make a DME addition as needed. I also use a refractometer to make it quick and easy.

I received my brewie+ for morebeer a couple weeks ago and finally tried to use it. Pump won't drain in bottom left of boil side after cleaning. Already tried the unclog countless times, tried bulb thing to fix, but no avail. It drains from side port so figured I'd run a test batch and got 12% into the first step and it popped up with an error asking me to connect the water supply, even though it had already filled with about 2.5gal of water. Had to stop and drain. Not sure what's wrong with this damn thing.

Not sure if I got sent an older version or just a piece of crap. How can you tell the difference between the versions?

I received my brewie+ for morebeer a couple weeks ago and finally tried to use it. Pump won't drain in bottom left of boil side after cleaning. Already tried the unclog countless times, tried bulb thing to fix, but no avail. It drains from side port so figured I'd run a test batch and got 12% into the first step and it popped up with an error asking me to connect the water supply, even though it had already filled with about 2.5gal of water. Had to stop and drain. Not sure what's wrong with this damn thing.

Not sure if I got sent an older version or just a piece of crap. How can you tell the difference between the versions?

Easiest way to tell the difference between the B20 and B+ is whether you have a toggle power switch on the back corner of the unit where the plug is located. If there is no toggle power switch, it is a B+. If there is a toggle power switch, it is the older B20.

Sounds like you have a software problem. What version of the software is it running? My B+ would only update to 3.0.14 when I sent it off to be repaired. I got it back this past weekend and the repair shop updated it to 3.0.16. The unit passed a sanitizing clean and a test recipe (no grains). I will brew with it this weekend and see how it goes.

Have you tried to hard wire the unit to your internet connection? That sometimes forces a software update. The wifi doesn't always push a software update for some reason.

----------------

As for efficiency on my next brew, I plan to pause the unit completely about 10 mins after mash in and grab the bag with my turkey fryer gloves on and give it a good massage for dough balls. I think this will help efficiency quite a bit. The bags are rather tight and compact the grain a lot. After brewing with Robobrew, I think Brewie should move away from the grain bags and design a drop in malt pipe with a handle and screened bottom. This would make stirring possible and clean up a snap.

Last edited:

Return it. And don't look back..... I can't believe there are still people buying these

After brewing with Robobrew, I think Brewie should move away from the grain bags and design a drop in malt pipe with a handle and screened bottom. This would make stirring possible and clean up a snap.

I emailed Marcel (the CEO) about this thought yesterday and to my surprise he emailed back this morning to let me know they are designing and testing a malt pipe for a future release. So they are well aware of the low efficiency.

He asked for any other suggestions and I let him know they should add an emergency shut off switch to the B+ and a proper sparge arm with a float valve to prevent overflows.

Nice of Marcel to confirm the revised model of brewie model is still not working as it should but at least we know the next revision should have that issue resolved...... What a complete and utter joke. Seriously buy a grain father or whatever and move on from this junk. Who cares it's shiny with a touchpad that "stores your recipes"

Well the SSR failed again, just like last time. The element stays on with just the plug in the wall. This time it failed at the beginning of the mash and I had grains in the machine. That was really fun trying to drain almost boiling wort without dry firing the element in the boil kettle. Started another help ticket with Brewie. This unit is dead.

Back to my robobrew for now.

Asinine. That's what Hank Hill would call the Brewie.

I think that might apply to me by now, hah. Or at least delusional.

My unit was recalled this morning and they will send me a new unit.

So to recap:
First B20 machine - fuse blew and software bricked on start-up, recalled. Total brews before failure = 0
Second B20 (new) machine - mash tun scorched, recalled. Total brews before failure = 2
Third B+ (new) machine - SSR blew, recalled. Total brews before failure = 0
Fourth B+ (repaired) machine - SSR blew, recalled. Total brews before failure = 0

Wait, maybe I am just plain insane.

OK, I have a new Brewie B20. But I only paid $399 for it delivered, so it was no great risk for me. I also still have remanufactured a Pico-C that I only paid $250 for.

Anyway, I did my first batch of Rust Rex about 10 days back. The B20 performed flawlessly. But I am also seeing efficiency problems. My OG was only 1.029 and has bottomed out at 1.004 for the last two days. Anticipated ABV was 4.1% but I am calculating only about 3.3%. The Rust Rex kit was old and was due to expire in a week.

Is this kind of most people's experience? Is freshness potentially the culprate? Has anyone tried using an open strainer basket instead of the boiling bag so the barley can be stirred to increase efficiency (get rid of doe balls)? Forgive me if these are stupid questions, I'm new to the hobby.

Hmmm... for my first try I just used tap water. I'm south of Los Angeles so we have very hard water. RO and a well pressure tank are likely my next additions.

Last edited:
Anyway, I did my first batch of Rust Rex about 10 days back. The B20 performed flawlessly. But I am also seeing efficiency problems. My OG was only 1.029 and has bottomed out at 1.004 for the last two days. Anticipated ABV was 4.1% but I am calculating only about 3.3%. The Rust Rex kit was old and was due to expire in a week.

Is this kind of most people's experience? Is freshness potentially the culprate? Has anyone tried using an open strainer basket instead of the boiling bag so the barley can be stirred to increase efficiency (get rid of doe balls)? Forgive me if these are stupid questions, I'm new to the hobby.

Rusty Rex is 8.8125 lbs of malt into 6.9 gallons of total water volume. So your efficiency was about 46-48%, about what I saw with my two brews that worked. Perhaps a bit lower because of the older grains or mash PH as suggested above. Brewie knows about the efficiency problems and they are working on exactly what you are suggesting - a strainer basket that will sit in the MLT. That way you will be able to stir it and increase efficiency. The bags are a poor design and are limiting results here, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:
OK, I have a new Brewie B20. But I only paid $399 for it delivered, so it was no great risk for me. I also still have remanufactured a Pico-C that I only paid $250 for.

Steve- did you grab that same insane morebeer deal i got, too?!?! Wow right!
Anyways- yes i also got about 50% efficency. I am going to (carefully) squeze the bag during mash and sparge and hope that helps. Also i will toss in a few rice hulls. Finally- i will.cheat and add some dme to the boil. Why not right? I just have to find time now... i will update my findings here.

Ya, I got the same $399 deal. I have also seen a few sell on ebay in the $800 to $900 price range recently. I may also pick up a Picobrew Zymatic and Grainfather if I can find good deals. Ya, I know overkill, but I am kind of a teck nut and I am really enjoying the hobby so far. It's hard for me that find hobbies that hold my attention.

Anyway I look forward to the release of the Brewie Basket. Too bad they have been so bogged down with reliability issues, I would really like to see there social network launch and for more recipes to become available. But I do not fault them. I import tools from China and Taiwan and sell them online and have also dealt with reliability issues. It was not until I upped my QC game and established an in house testing laboratory and caught them using substance parts before that they stopped shipping me the s*it. The asian model seems to be that the end user is the QC department and you have to wait 2-3 generation before products are ready for prime time. This is a lesson that Brewie like myself have learned the hard way.

Ya, I got the same $399 deal. I have also seen a few sell on ebay in the $800 to $900 price range recently. I may also pick up a Picobrew Zymatic and Grainfather if I can find good deals. Ya, I know overkill, but I am kind of a teck nut and I am really enjoying the hobby so far. It's hard for me that find hobbies that hold my attention.

Anyway I look forward to the release of the Brewie Basket. Too bad they have been so bogged down with reliability issues, I would really like to see there social network launch and for more recipes to become available. But I do not fault them. I import tools from China and Taiwan and sell them online and have also dealt with reliability issues. It was not until I upped my QC game and established an in house testing laboratory and caught them using substance parts before that they stopped shipping me the s*it. The asian model seems to be that the end user is the QC department and you have to wait 2-3 generation before products are ready for prime time. This is a lesson that Brewie like myself have learned the hard way.

Yeah what a deal, right? Although i have already spent a ton of money with Morebeer on supplies!! Maybe the joke's on me!
What are you using for a fermentor? What is the best temp you have gotten the wort out after chilling? I have hit 70 at best

After talking with BrunDog I picked up a couple of Grainfather conicals and a G40 Glycol Chiller. For my Pico C canisters I am using a Inkbird control and coolzone cooling jacket. I'm a bachelor so authorizing the budget was not a problem.

Last edited:
I brew in my garage and the temps seem to reach 90 degrees in the afternoon especially after I park a hot car motor next to the fermentors. Right now I am cold crashing my first Rust Rex brew at 39 degrees in the Grainfather Conical. It's working like a champ, but live near the ocean so I have a river of condensation that makes it clear to the garage door at times.

Ya, Grainfather has a cozie but I can only find them in Europe and the seller wants an international wire transfer. So still shopping around.

Hi All,

Did not know there was an active Brewie Community here. I bought my B20 from MoreBeer in the insane deal but have been having trouble with efficiency. I have been active on Facebook Brewie Owner's Group and have got some feedback on improving efficiency. Here is all that I tried:
1) Reduced the grain mill gap to 0.8 from 1.2mm (but the have further suggestion to reduce it to 0.3mm - I will try that for next brew)
2) Put grains in two bags instead of one (I further enhanced upon that by keeping them vertical and separating them so recirc goes through the middle of two bags)
3) Watch mash Ph - check after 15 minutes and if not within 5.2/5.4 adjust with acid.
4) Open up the bags and stir the grains occasionally (clearly defeats the purpose of push button system).

Apart from trying 0.3mm - none of the above improved efficiency to desirable numbers (below 60% still) so I did suggest Brewie team to build a malt-pipe about a month back (on facebook and even did some diagrams of the design). But eventually I could not wait any longer and have started my own build of a "Malt-Cage" - this will have solid staggered perforated false-bottom (I got suggestion for what to get from product designer from MoreBeer), four solid (non-perforated) walls, a screen on top, handle to lift to drain, a removable sparge-arm (and while I am at it - I also decided to add a whirlpool arm for the boil tank). I was hoping to get all this under $200 but raw material itself ended up costing $180 (see pictures and details on few of my posts in Facebook Brewie Owners Group). So at this point I am hoping to get this done below $250. Everything is arriving today and I am hoping to get SS welding, lathe work etc. done within 1 week.

Will post updates on progress and results (hopefully good results) here as well.

Cheers guys.

PS: I am in Walnut Creek, CA

Back