Brewfather Water Calculation (thermal expansion) question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatfloyd

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to understand if I:

1- mash with 9.6 gallons of water at ambient temperature (before heating)

2- mash with 9.6 gallons of water at 160f? (Strike temp)

On the attached pic you can see sparge will take 8.91 gallons of water (ambient I guess) or 11.29 gallons (at 170f)

Correct me if I'm wrong while I'm looking at this, I'm still trying to understand brewing softwares better.

1000132958.png

What is your grain bill? Batch size? That is a LOT of sparge water, too much ch actually.

Water expands, but only about 4% from room temp to boiling.

I calculate to get 60% of my boil volume from the mash and batch sparge with the other 40%.

The underlying question is interesting: do these brew day calculators use the expected liquor temperatures when defining volumes to be used - or are all volumes at room temperature - or something else?

Cheers!

On the attached pic you can see sparge will take 8.91 gallons of water (ambient I guess) or 11.29 gallons (at 170f)
Sparge water volume does not necessarily equal HLT water volume. There is some excess/spare water allowed for in the HLT. The exact amount will depend on your equipment profile, and probably some assumptions made by Brewfather.

Brew on :mug:

The underlying question is interesting: do these brew day calculators use the expected liquor temperatures when defining volumes to be used - or are all volumes at room temperature - or something else?

Cheers!
I put Palmers math into an excel spreadsheet. I’d have to look but i think there is a calculation that compensates for water expansion.

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal at our volume of brewing, but I could see it at commercial scale.

Cheers!
Your point is well taken. Software should explicitly state whatever assumptions that it makes.

This calculator gives water temps at 68°F (20°C) and process (mash or boil) temp explicitly. It's the only one I know of that does.

Brew on :mug:

I don't know what they all do, but can say that BrewCipher assumes room temp for all volumes.

Back